Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 08:44 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
That's a hoot! I'm in that top 1% and I'll tell you that taxes have no effect on my lfiestyle at all. They are a non-factor. Hardly the case down there where you suppose the freeloaders to be hanging out.
You didn't adjust your spending at all? Are you spending more now that your liabilities have been going down or are you investing more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 08:45 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Close to 40% of Americans do not pay any income tax so that should give you an idea of their income.
More than 40% of filers pay no NET income tax. This is because two of our largest low-income support programs -- the Earned Income Tax Credit and the Additional Child Care Credit -- are administered by the IRS. The credits show up as lines 64a and 66 on your Form 1040. They are in the same class as the income taxes withheld from your paycheck during the year. They reduce your tax liability, and if they reduce it to less than zero, you get a check back. If those two programs were administered by a different agency, the IRS data would include the GROSS taxes paid by those receiving the EITC and ACCC, and the number of people who "do not pay any income tax" would be slashed dramatically.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
It's not just at McDonald's, it's everywhere, where have you been? Companies are cutting back at the lower levels, forcing people to either take a pay cut or not increasing there salaries to keep up with cost of living. Not to mention health care cost (yes, the one's you neocons rant and rave about Obama "socializing") are also eating into people's salaries, while CEOs and executives continue to have their pay increase exponentially, even when a company does poorly under their "leadership".

As for the McDonald's worker, why wouldn't you want him to make a decent salary. If got a decent salary flipping burgers, you neocons wouldn't have to pay for social programs like welfare and public housing, that you always complain about.
I'm considered to be average income earner and work for a mid sized company. My health-care cost have gone up $100/year or approximately $4 a pay period. It's not exactly eating away my disposable income and I understand that they need to go up to help the company adjust to the severe economic situation.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Tax reform is necessary and everyone who earns money needs to pay into the system. No exceptions.
How about students who work a few months in the summer, but don't make more than the standard deduction plus their personal exemption. They don't pay any taxes now. Do you think they should?

Old 07-30-2009, 08:48 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Persoanlly:I thnik that is what is wrong with our system;too many with no skin in the game that want something for nothing. Its got to give at some point.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Persoanlly:I thnik that is what is wrong with our system;too many with no skin in the game that want something for nothing. Its got to give at some point.
It's like that because they are the majority. They are bought and sold every 4 years.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:51 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
More than 40% of filers pay no NET income tax. This is because two of our largest low-income support programs -- the Earned Income Tax Credit and the Additional Child Care Credit -- are administered by the IRS. The credits show up as lines 64a and 66 on your Form 1040. They are in the same class as the income taxes withheld from your paycheck during the year. They reduce your tax liability, and if they reduce it to less than zero, you get a check back. If those two programs were administered by a different agency, the IRS data would include the GROSS taxes paid by those receiving the EITC and ACCC, and the number of people who "do not pay any income tax" would be slashed dramatically.
But your scenario is not what is today. Today all they pay in they get back and then some (in some cases).

Old 07-30-2009, 08:51 PM

88,964 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Personally: I think that is what is wrong with our system; too many with no skin in the game that want something for nothing. Its got to give at some point.
Bingo! It's going to give, alright. Look out middle class - a tax by any other name...(be sure to read the comments, too):
Will Coddling the Middle Class Kill Obama’s Plans?

Old 07-30-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Do you think the top 1% includes only multibillionaires?
No, but it does include only people with incomes above $410,096. At least as of 2007...

Old 07-30-2009, 08:53 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
How about students who work a few months in the summer, but don't make more than the standard deduction plus their personal exemption. They don't pay any taxes now. Do you think they should?
They pay somethiing. They have a different table to use. My son has a part time job but because he's still my dependent he has to use a different table for his tax and check off a box that he is a dependent on another person's income tax. He pays more because he's a dependent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies