Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 04:29 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
So? Prove it. That's all Im asking. Prove your claims that the FDA is "in the back pocket" of Big Pharm.
When you use quotes around something, it's suppose to be a direct quote.

That said, in my rush to post this morning, I said "in the pocket" when what I meant to say was "in bed with". Sorry about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 04:42 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,413,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
When you use quotes around something, it's suppose to be a direct quote.

That said, in my rush to post this morning, I said "in the pocket" when what I meant to say was "in bed with". Sorry about that.
Come back when you finish HS English.

A quote can also mean a paraphrased comment as well.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Come back when you finish HS English.

A quote can also mean a paraphrased comment as well.
Is that what they're teaching you in high school these days? No wonder literacy is going downhill.

No, again you are wrong. Quotation marks are used for a number of things, but are not correct when paraphrasing. Paraphrasing isn't quoting. It's paraphrasing. Since you haven't quoted anyone, there is no need for quotation marks.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:54 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Are you suggesting these country's agencies are as strict as the FDA? I would like to see some documentation on that. The FDA isn't perfect but you don't know the process that drug companies go through to have a drug approved by the FDA. If you did, you would think differently.

The FDA has an amazing record. Do you realize how many drugs there are? You've listed a few drugs so that means their entire record for decades is tarnished? What about all the drugs that haven't caused problems? Of course, let's not give them credit for that and remember the few that caused problems.

Regarding drug efficacy, it's not a perfect science. Researches do their best. The FDA sets strict guidelines to approve safe drugs. For your information the issue with Vioxx wasn't it's approval but rather their failure to pull the drug off the market in a timely fashion when complications were reported.

Lastly, what form of "recompence" are we getting from the drug companies? I would love to hear that. There are new Pharma guidelines that prevent us from even receive pens and stationary. To be honest, most doctors hate meeting reps. It cuts into our time with patients and slows us down. We do it so that we can get samples of medication that we pass onto our patients who have trouble affording meds. I can usually give my poorest patients a month of free samples thanks to these reps. If I don't meet with them, I won't receive samples. Obviously, you just made that up for the sake of being argumentative.

I post on here with the hope of educating the public but it's unfortunate to observe uneduated lay people Moderator cut: rude who just make up Moderator cut: languagelike "The FDA doesn't have a great record" based on a superficial knowledge of what's reported in the media. Moderator cut: RUDENonetheless, that's why all these people peddling drugs through informercials make money. Moderator cut: more rudeness
My, my...apparently I touched a nerve. Here is what I posted:

Are you contending that the 19 countries with some form of UHC, including Israel, Sweden, Italy, Spain and Belgium, have no agencies which test the medicines that they provide? I would love to see a citation for that.
And which product is the latest to be recalled by the FDA due to inadequate
research? Vicodin? We've already "done" Vioxx. The FDA has a less than stellar record; perhaps it would help if most Americans didn't suspect that those spiffy-looking drug reps in the doctor's waiting room are giving the doctor some form of recompence for prescribing their products.

I simply asked for clarification or a link initially, then asked a question that made sense to me, when one considers the number of medications that we have seen withdrawn from use. But IMHO, the part which caused such a
huffy response was the part about "suspecting" that doctors receive some
"recompense" (which I misspelled originally, BTW) for prescribing particular
medicines. I only said, "suspect," because that's what so many people do
believe...I wasn't stating it as a fact. The fact that there have been questions about the methodology of FDA testing is indisputable:

U.S. Public Lacks Confidence in FDA: Poll - US News and World Report

As to Obama signing my death warrant when I hit 65, I'm not actually worried about that. If my ex-husband was involved in the decision, that would, of course, be another matter entirely.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Is that what they're teaching you in high school these days? No wonder literacy is going downhill.

No, again you are wrong. Quotation marks are used for a number of things, but are not correct when paraphrasing. Paraphrasing isn't quoting. It's paraphrasing. Since you haven't quoted anyone, there is no need for quotation marks.
I finished HS before the US pulled out of Nam.

Even wiki knows you need an education...

Quotation marks are also used to indicate that the writer realizes that a word is not being used in its current commonly accepted sense.
Crystals somehow "know" which shape to grow into. In addition to conveying a neutral attitude and to call attention to a neologism, or slang, or special terminology (also known as jargon), quoting can also indicate words or phrases that are descriptive but unusual, colloquial, folksy, startling, humorous, metaphoric, or contain a pun:
Dawkins’s concept of a meme could be described as an "evolving idea."
People use quotation marks in this way to:
  • indicate descriptive but unusual, colloquial, folksy words or phrases
  • indicate descriptive but startling, humorous, or metaphoric words or phrases
  • distance the writer from the terminology in question so as not to be associated with it. For example, to indicate that a quoted word is not official terminology, or that a quoted phrase presupposes things that the author does not necessarily agree with.
  • indicate special terminology that should be identified for accuracy's sake as someone else's terminology, for example if a term (particularly a controversial term) pre-dates the writer or represents the views of someone else, perhaps without judgement (contrast this neutrally-distancing quoting to the negative use of scare quotes)
The Chicago Manual of Style (CMS), 15th edition[4] acknowledges this type of use but cautions against overuse in section 7.58, "Quotation marks are often used to alert readers that a term is used in a nonstandard, ironic, or other special sense [...] They imply ‘This is not my term,’ or ‘This is not how the term is usually applied.’ Like any such device, scare quotes lose their force and irritate readers if overused."

Quotation mark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-01-2009, 06:45 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Lie. Lie. Lie. READ THE BILL!
oh, I dont have time for that...I'll just let this nice man on the radio tell me what it says.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
I finished HS before the US pulled out of Nam.

Even wiki knows you need an education...

Quotation marks are also used to indicate that the writer realizes that a word is not being used in its current commonly accepted sense.
Crystals somehow "know" which shape to grow into. In addition to conveying a neutral attitude and to call attention to a neologism, or slang, or special terminology (also known as jargon), quoting can also indicate words or phrases that are descriptive but unusual, colloquial, folksy, startling, humorous, metaphoric, or contain a pun:
Dawkins’s concept of a meme could be described as an "evolving idea."
People use quotation marks in this way to:
  • indicate descriptive but unusual, colloquial, folksy words or phrases
  • indicate descriptive but startling, humorous, or metaphoric words or phrases
  • distance the writer from the terminology in question so as not to be associated with it. For example, to indicate that a quoted word is not official terminology, or that a quoted phrase presupposes things that the author does not necessarily agree with.
  • indicate special terminology that should be identified for accuracy's sake as someone else's terminology, for example if a term (particularly a controversial term) pre-dates the writer or represents the views of someone else, perhaps without judgement (contrast this neutrally-distancing quoting to the negative use of scare quotes)
The Chicago Manual of Style (CMS), 15th edition[4] acknowledges this type of use but cautions against overuse in section 7.58, "Quotation marks are often used to alert readers that a term is used in a nonstandard, ironic, or other special sense [...] They imply ‘This is not my term,’ or ‘This is not how the term is usually applied.’ Like any such device, scare quotes lose their force and irritate readers if overused."

Quotation mark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This should start getting embarrassing for you any minute now.....all this being wrong you're going through. I know I'd be embarrassed by now.

As I said "No, again you are wrong. Quotation marks are used for a number of things, but are not correct when paraphrasing. Paraphrasing isn't quoting. It's paraphrasing. Since you haven't quoted anyone, there is no need for quotation marks."

Note the "any number of things". That would be what your post covers. What your post doesn't cover is using quotation marks for paraphrasing. It's not covered because it's not correct.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
This should start getting embarrassing for you any minute now.....all this being wrong you're going through. I know I'd be embarrassed by now.

As I said "No, again you are wrong. Quotation marks are used for a number of things, but are not correct when paraphrasing. Paraphrasing isn't quoting. It's paraphrasing. Since you haven't quoted anyone, there is no need for quotation marks."

Note the "any number of things". That would be what your post covers. What your post doesn't cover is using quotation marks for paraphrasing. It's not covered because it's not correct.
Well, since you have reading comprehension troubles, I'm not going to bother.

Come back when you've finished school.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Well, since you have reading comprehension troubles, I'm not going to bother.

Come back when you've finished school.
Use your little quotation marks and quote the part of your post that addresses paraphrasing.

Are you the one who claims to be a doctor? If so and you are, this thread is frightening.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Use your little quotation marks and quote the part of your post that addresses paraphrasing.

Are you the one who claims to be a doctor? If so and you are, this thread is frightening.
Speaking of paraphrasing, why don't YOU use those neat little quotation marks and show where I ever claimed to be "a doctor".

And here's your answer...

"Quotation marks are also used to indicate that the writer realizes that a word is not being used in its current commonly accepted sense.
Crystals somehow "know" which shape to grow into. In addition to conveying a neutral attitude and to call attention to a neologism, or slang, or special terminology (also known as jargon), quoting can also indicate words or phrases that are descriptive but unusual, colloquial, folksy, startling, humorous, metaphoric, or contain a pun:"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies