Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 12:19 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,335,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If I walked up to you 5 years ago and said "One day the government will own GM" what would you have said to me ?

Or I said "We're going to have a crisis as bad as the Great Depression" 5 years ago. What would you have said ?

Or I said "The US tortures it's prisoners as worse as terrorist countries" 5 years ago. What would you have said ?

What was once "preposterous" or "it will never happen" is now reality.
"Too big to fail" has legs and a life of it's own.

The "impossible" just may be possible....keep an open mind; history shows that apathy does not always result in good things.

I knew GM would tank. I happened to own one of their cars in the 80s. I also knew Dodge was garbage after owning one of their trucks.

We are not in a depression, nor are we going into one. In fact, this isn't even an entertaining recession. So no shock value there. If you've seen masses of people nearly starving, you learn to know when it's really time to worry.

As far as torture goes, I'm saddened we've changed what that really means. I've been through training tougher than the chubby nutjobs in Gitmo, so I don't think the drama is necessary.

Bottom line is simple. When your poor are fat, you're ok in my book. The biggest threat IS apathy, you're right on that. But it is the slow erosion of personal responsibility, not some dramatic government takeover.

Put in perspective, the only really scary thing is laziness and debt. But like I said, those aren't really sexy things to fire up debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 12:21 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
maybe this is the next birther-style panic puddle for you all. One of those "any day now..." fantasies, like guns being taken away.
Oh no, you must not know about the FEMA trains with chains and shackles that are coming to take us all away to concentration camps where there are boxes where "they" will chain us up.

I am not making this up. There is a contingent in the US that believes this is imminent.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:27 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverOne View Post
Yes, U.S. Officials Are Quietly Preparing for BIG Trouble Ahead

A new report by the Army War College's Strategic Studies Institute states flatly the U.S. military must prepare for "a violent, strategic dislocation inside the United States" that could be provoked by "unforeseen economic collapse" or "loss of functioning political and legal order."

Late last year, The Washington Post noted the incoming Obama Administration is going to "earmark" at least 20,000 troops returning from Iraq to deal with "domestic emergencies."

Anti-Mullah: ECONOMIC COLLAPSE TO TRIGGER SOCIAL PANDEMONIUM

I know they are getting ready; I work for the government and have started getting FEMA training (I've already whined about it on the board)

What bothers me most is not that they are getting ready to deploy troops and have all sorts of contingency plans, but that all this is happening in the background while the figureheads of the government repeatedly an loudly proclaim that everything is all right and is actually getting better. Like hell it is!

So, declare martial law, put a batallion of soldiers in my front yard and give me my ration coupon book. I'm cool with that, but don't lie to me and say everything's OK. If the president would just step up and say: "folks, were in deep *%$t and this what we're looking to do so the country doesnt' fall apart; we need you to do this.... I would not be nearly as worried. Instead, our leaders are two-faced liars that are more interested in saving their own asses than actually trying to solve the problem at worst and trying to hide the truth at best.

It's that whole Titianic analogy again, telling everyone that everything is OK when they know it ain't. The problem is the authorities forgot that the bottom of the ship floods first, so the "commoners" might notice the lie a bit sooner than planned. It's a bit absurd to tell a soaking wet, freezing cold man not to worry and to go back to his room.

Likewise it is ubsurd to say there isn't a problem when you are training government employees and military personel to respond to the breakdown of society, the unemployment rate has almost tripled in just a few months and shows no sign of slowing down, the national debt has skyrocketed higher than the number of stars in the Milky Way Galaxy and the stock market is in never before seen conniption fits.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:31 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Have any of you asked yourselves just "why" there are concentration camps all throughout the U.S. ?
Really? Give me the address of one. I'd like to see it.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Will this be the "civilian military" that Obama believes we need and has spoken about?

Since you put civilian military in quotes, got any proof that Obama ever used that term?

Old 07-31-2009, 12:37 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,971,196 times
Why would he? Even the Stasi called themselves the "German Democratic Republic" police. Gotta put a pretty bow on the pig s*** you're trying to sell your citizens.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:39 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Since you put civilian military in quotes, got any proof that Obama ever used that term?

YouTube - Obama Civilian Security

and I'm pretty sure "security force" doesn't mean girl scouts and tree huggers.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post

Oh, for gosh sakes! I could drive right around here and identify several locations which "might" be used as a detention center to hold recalcitrant citizens, but that wouldn't make it so, would it?

I mean, good grief, we have the county jail, another county detention center, the local school system's "Pathways" facility, the juvenial detention center, two city jails, the old Air Force base. Hell, we have several city and county parks which could hold hundreds, under the right circumstances.

For that matter, we have a local reservoir into which hundreds of thousands could be dumped to swim or drown.

I tell ya...it's a conspiracy to kill us all!

Old 07-31-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justfarr1030 View Post
Like the way they "assisted" during hurricane Katrina?
Were you there after Katrina? I was, and I can tell you without fear of being proven wrong, that peoples needs did not start being met until the military showed up. From the north shore of Lake Ponchartrain to New Orleans to Belle Chase, it was the National Guard and regular forces who brought water, food, medical assistance, rescue and order to the affected areas. The state and local resources were just simply overwhelmed.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post

YouTube - Obama Civilian Security

and I'm pretty sure "security force" doesn't mean girl scouts and tree huggers.
"Security force" isn't "civilian military," is it?

And, by the way, I didn't hear him mention ARMED security force, did you? The one thing which sets the military apart from every other organization is their armament.

Further, "security" means much more than just the power and ability to enforce order.

Last edited by stillkit; 07-31-2009 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: additional comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies