Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Overall, do gay pride parades give you a positive or a negative impression of homosexuals?
I'm heterosexual and gay pride parades give me a POSITIVE impression of homosexuals. 14 13.46%
I'm heterosexual and gay pride parades give me a NEGATIVE impression. 63 60.58%
I'm not heterosexual and gay pride parades give me a POSITIVE impression. 13 12.50%
I'm not heterosexual and gay pride parades give me a NEGATIVE impression. 14 13.46%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 01:46 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,653,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
I think very outspoken gays that attempt IMO to push it in others faces are a huge reason many have a negative opinion of gays. It all comes down to respect. I will respect you and your lifestyle if you respect mine. I understand that it is extremely hard for gay in many areas but "pushing" it is not the answer. I am not saying hide the fact that you are gay but it should not be the focal point of your life. I am a heterosexual woman but that is not who I am if that makes sense. I have never personally met an "in your face" gay person all of the gays I know are very low key in that area. They don't hide but they don't publicize it either.
Yes. It's the wild characters who leave the longest-lasting (and negative) impressions. Unfortunately, a lot of people then believe that it's the flamboyant characters who speak for and represent all gays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 01:51 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,437,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Yes. It's the wild characters who leave the longest-lasting (and negative) impressions. Unfortunately, a lot of people then believe that it's the flamboyant characters who speak for and represent all gays.
I agree it is sad because as I said all of the gays I know are wonderful people that I am proud to call my friends and family.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:52 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,556,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Yes I'm actually serious. I don't give a fig what you feel for me.
Awww, you hurt my feewings! Seriously, I cannot believe YOU of all people don't find flashing t*ts for beads as perverted. That is seriously whacked.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:55 PM

37,120 posts, read 42,178,043 times
Isn't it true that with anything new or different or rejected by society, the way to get acceptance is to be "in your face" and exaggerate everything? We went from having homosexuals in the closet, and wanting to keep it that way, to people saying they have no problem with homosexuals or homosexual rights, they just don't want to certain things out on display.

It's a proven strategy that works time and time again. The farther you swing the pendulum to the opposite side the faster you get to the middle ground. . Unfortunately there are always a few people who don't realize how things work and really do expect that pendulum to stay at an extreme position and they set themselves up for a lifetime of unhappiness and dissapointment.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:59 PM

I made the poll anonymous, and I'm glad I did. I think we might be getting a more honest and accurate result by not exposing the identities of those who voted.

I think it's clear: Gay pride parades give most people a negative impression of gays. I feel even more justified now in expressing my disapproval of them. There's definitely pressure in the gay community to not say negative things about other gays, but this is one area where I feel comfortable doing it.

That article I cited at the beginning of the thread was from Amsterdam - a liberal city when it comes to gay rights. Two-thirds of young people polled said that gay pride parades do not encourage integration and acceptance, and 40% of them said that the parades are embarrassing.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:01 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,692,209 times
The local Gay Pride parade is a large, festive event. I haven't seen it through it's entirety but what I had seen of the people parading wasn't unlawful or lascivious. A few of the parade watchers were dressed in some questionable attire (chaps with a thong.) There are people from all walks of life who enjoy pushing the envelope. Look at Mardi Gras, St Patrick's Day in some of the major cities...people don't have to be gay to go overboard.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:06 PM

37,120 posts, read 42,178,043 times
Quote:
I made the poll anonymous, and I'm glad I did. I think we might be getting a more honest and accurate result by not exposing the identities of those who voted.

I think it's clear: Gay pride parades give most people a negative impression of gays. I feel even more justified now in expressing my disapproval of them. There's definitely pressure in the gay community to not say negative things about other gays, but this is one area where I feel comfortable doing it.

That article I cited at the beginning of the thread was from Amsterdam - a liberal city when it comes to gay rights. Two-thirds of young people polled said that gay pride parades do not encourage integration and acceptance, and 40% of them said that the parades are embarrassing.
I totally understand. It's hard to speak up sometimes!

We should never be afraid to point out people acting like fools, no matter who they are. It's one thing to act out in your own life, at a party or gathering of friends or even a group. No problems there, everyone should be able to do whatever they like. It's another thing to act out and and demand the public watch, and perhaps even sponsor, it.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
There are people from all walks of life who enjoy pushing the envelope. Look at Mardi Gras, St Patrick's Day in some of the major cities...people don't have to be gay to go overboard.
The difference is that, unlike those who attend Mardi Gras or St. Patrick's Day events, gays are trying to achieve legal and political goals. There's little doubt in my mind that the parades are hurting those causes. There's nothing wrong with having fun and being wild, but when it's in a public parade, gays shouldn't be surprised that significant numbers of people will have a negative reaction to it.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:30 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,385,613 times
Using a gay pride parade to get your impression of gay people or the "gay lifestyle" or "gay culture" (whatever that is)... is about as ignorant as using the St. Paddy's day parade to learn about how everyday Irish people live, work, and dress.

It's akin to going to Mardi Gras in Louisiana as a foreigner, to better understand the straight American lifestyle... and especially, the morals and modesty and mating rituals of the "typical" straight American woman and man (beads for boobs, anyone? -- isn't that how all straight people act?)

It's like going to Brazil during Carnival, and basing your opinion on the Brazilian people based on the colorful characters in the parades and on floats.

Again.... ignorant. No, worse than ignorant.... stupid.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:33 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,316,443 times
Quote:
An increasing number of gays have been asking that question. I think they're tired of being seen as different and separate, and there's an increasing number who find them embarrassing. To me, there's a freak show aspect that I'm not comfortable with.

A few years ago, I had a discussion with a friend of mine (we're both gay) who felt the same way as I do. Back then, it felt like it was still taboo to say anything negative about gay pride events, and I remember how happy I was to find out that a friend had the same negative opinions about them that I do. These days, I have little trouble saying what I really think about them, in part because I know there are many who agree with me. I think non-gays are also more comfortable being critical of them now, and I see that as a good thing.

You are right. I say I don't do 'pride,' and gay people look at me aghast and askance! Actually, I just had that conversation yesterday.

Sorry...just don't care to politicize my sexuality. Nor do I care to be associated with those who do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies