Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 06:29 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyeller View Post
Yep and he warned idiots like Fwank and Dodd something needed to be done as they sat on their hands.
Is that why he presided over the first vote to bail out, and insisted a bailout had to go through?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyeller View Post
Dems wanted a collapse to blame Bush just like they wanted to lose the Iraq war to blame Bush and every other thing they could think of to try and undermine that man. Now they are reaping what they sewed and still crying about Bush just like you.
Tell yourself whatever you have to to feel good. It doesnt have to be based on anything uncomfortable like truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 10:49 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
A substantial portion of Recovery Act highway funds have been obligated, with most funded projects focusing on pavement improvements. In March 2009, $26.7 billion was apportioned to 50 states and the District for highway infrastructure and other eligible projects. As of July 17, 2009, $16.8 billion of the apportioned funds had been obligated for over 5,700 projects nationwide. About half of the funds has been obligated for pavement improvements such as reconstructing or rehabilitating roads; 17 percent has been obligated for pavement-widening projects; and about 12 percent has been obligated for bridge projects. Remaining funds were obligated for the construction of new roads and safety projects, among other things. States have generally complied with the act's three major requirements on the use of transportation funds: (1) Fifty percent of funds must be obligated within 120 days of apportionment. All states have met this requirement. (2) Priority for funding must be given to projects that can be completed within 3 years and are located in economically distressed areas, as defined by the Public Works and Economic Development Act. Officials from almost all of the states included in GAO's review said they considered project readiness, including the 3-year completion requirement, when making project selections. However, due to the need to select projects and obligate funds quickly, many states first selected projects based on other factors and only later identified whether these projects fulfilled the economically distressed area requirement. Additionally, some states identified economically distressed areas using data or criteria not specified in the Public Works or Recovery Act. In each of these cases, states told us that DOT's Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) approved the use of alternative criteria but it is not clear under what authority it did so as FHWA did not consult with or seek the approval of the Department of Commerce. (3) State spending on transportation projects must be maintained at the level the state had planned to spend as of the day the Recovery Act was enacted. With one exception, the states have certified that they will maintain their level of spending. GAO will continue to monitor states' use of Recovery Act funds for transportation programs and their compliance with program rules. In the next report, in September 2009, GAO plans to provide information on the use of Recovery Act funds for transit programs and for highway programs. Previous GAO work on the act has addressed other transportation issues. For instance, GAO's work on discretionary transportation grants found that DOT followed key elements of federal guidance in developing selection criteria for awarding these grants, and GAO's work on intercity rail funding found that although DOT's strategic plan for high-speed rail generally outlines how the act's funds may be invested for high-speed rail development, the plan does not establish clear goals or a clear role for the federal government.
U.S. GAO - Recovery Act: States' Use of Highway Infrastructure Funds and Compliance with the Act's Requirements

Old 07-31-2009, 11:04 PM

281 posts, read 928,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Yes, but some people clearly choose to be negative, even when there's good news. Some people are just more biased than others. The people who have only negative things to say about Democrats, liberals, and Obama don't impress me much, nor do those who only have negative things to say about Republicans and conservatives.
I agree about the tedious labelling, but it is somewhat amusing to see those who normally disdain the rentier classes gushing over a surge in the stock market which means little to the 98% of the people who are not affected by it. For most working class and unemployed Americans, the misery continues unabated. Frankly, I couldn't care less what they are rolling in on Wall Street.

So far, the administration's efforts have been directed to bolstering the financial sector and sparing us the horror of lower prices. I will feel this administration and its supporters have been true to their professed values when unemployment drops and real incomes for the lower 80% of the population increase again. Then we can celebrate.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:13 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailerguy View Post
I agree about the tedious labelling, but it is somewhat amusing to see those who normally disdain the rentier classes gushing over a surge in the stock market which means little to the 98% of the people who are not affected by it. For most working class and unemployed Americans, the misery continues unabated. Frankly, I couldn't care less what they are rolling in on Wall Street.
Who's disdaining the "rentier classes"?

And about half of the adults in America are invested in the stock market in one form or another. It affects a lot more people than you realize.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:17 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,310,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
585,000 people lost their job this week and GDP had a 1% contraction this quarter. that should help put things in a little perspective while you are celebrating the taxpayers' money being utilized to make wall street richer.

And all along I thought liberals hated corporations who make money and can pay dividends to buyers/investors.

Guess they changed their mind because they are desperate for something good out of Obama since everything has been of course a free fall downward.

They are desperate for any good news they can give Obama credit for.

So lets use this and try to forget about all those jobs and other bad news.

Now more then 6 1/2 million in the hole for Obama on the new jobs he promised.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:20 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,310,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i don't accept this when the stock markets are being artificially inflated via the plunge protection team. i consider all other economic data more relevant, although i am happy for any people who have recovered some of their previous losses.

They seem to forget that many lose their butts not to long ago and are spending and investing to get some of their losses back.

This is a fake and bought bump, just do not tell the liberals and mess up their only good news they can report in 7 months.

Let them have their fun because the roller coaster is still going down with Obama.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:38 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,925 times
I'm waiting for the $$ I invested Jan 08 to climb back up so I can pull it out of the market before it tumbles again.
Good-bye market - hello mattress. Safer there than anywhere.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:56 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Yes, but some people clearly choose to be negative, even when there's good news. Some people are just more biased than others. The people who have only negative things to say about Democrats, liberals, and Obama don't impress me much, nor do those who only have negative things to say about Republicans and conservatives.
Sane post. I hope to see the stock market climb and unemployment go down. I haven't worked full time in 8 months and if I don't find something soon....

Old 08-01-2009, 06:10 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Sane post. I hope to see the stock market climb and unemployment go down. I haven't worked full time in 8 months and if I don't find something soon....
Yep. You may have to resort to selling your body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies