U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-31-2009, 05:24 PM
 
313 posts, read 656,184 times
Reputation: 96

Advertisements

What if Obama would have said OK the Cambridge cops got it right (just for the sake of race relations!! even though the arrest was questionable) and supported cops rather than take a firm stance not even admiting wrongdoing (calling the cops stupid) would'nt whites and race relations have taken a time-out and be a little better??
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-31-2009, 06:46 PM
 
4,585 posts, read 5,263,267 times
Reputation: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-iron View Post
What if Obama would have said OK the Cambridge cops got it right (just for the sake of race relations!! even though the arrest was questionable) and supported cops rather than take a firm stance not even admiting wrongdoing (calling the cops stupid) would'nt whites and race relations have taken a time-out and be a little better??
Then he'd be a liar. I'd rather tell the truth and be misunderstood than lie and not be able to look at myself in the mirror.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2009, 06:55 PM
 
Location: Irvine, CA to Keller, TX
4,829 posts, read 6,654,768 times
Reputation: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-iron View Post
What if Obama would have said OK the Cambridge cops got it right (just for the sake of race relations!! even though the arrest was questionable) and supported cops rather than take a firm stance not even admiting wrongdoing (calling the cops stupid) would'nt whites and race relations have taken a time-out and be a little better??
It would have been impossible. Obama, because of his poor upbringing and constant exposure to racism could not help but have a chip on his shoulder. Reacting the way he did in a racist manner is not his fault because of the oppression he faced as a poor black man growing up without the benefits advantages of white America.

In order for this not to get too hostile, note the sarcasm.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2009, 07:35 PM
 
313 posts, read 656,184 times
Reputation: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
It would have been impossible. Obama, because of his poor upbringing and constant exposure to racism could not help but have a chip on his shoulder. Reacting the way he did in a racist manner is not his fault because of the oppression he faced as a poor black man growing up without the benefits advantages of white America.

In order for this not to get too hostile, note the sarcasm.
Huh???
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2009, 11:18 AM
 
313 posts, read 656,184 times
Reputation: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Then he'd be a liar. I'd rather tell the truth and be misunderstood than lie and not be able to look at myself in the mirror.
Why would he be lying? For the sake of race relations why did he not extent an olive branch!!?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2009, 12:06 PM
 
4,585 posts, read 5,263,267 times
Reputation: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-iron View Post
Why would he be lying? For the sake of race relations why did he not extent an olive branch!!?
A branch that contained a lie..Telling the cop he was right when he felt he wasn't would help race relations? Are you crazy? Being honest and telling it like it is, is how you actually begin to fix a problem. Masking a problem with a lie doesn't make for the building of a sturdy branch.

It's the same reason the cop didn't admit that he was wrong for the sake of race relations. He believed he was being fair and stuck with it. It has led to a lot of honest dialogue that should've taken place a long time ago. Nothing prospurous and credible is built on the back of a lie.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2009, 12:12 PM
 
Location: Washington DC
5,915 posts, read 7,759,188 times
Reputation: 954
Let's try staying closer to the truth. President Obama did not call Sargent Crowley stupid. He said the Cambridge Police acted stupidly. That's upsetting to some, but demonstrably correct. What's more his involvement paved the way for the two men to meet under in a more collegial environment and I suspect both took away some lessons from the meeting. Hopefully Officer Crowley will dial back on the false arrests.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2009, 01:13 PM
 
34,968 posts, read 37,593,521 times
Reputation: 6190
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-iron View Post
For the sake of race relations why did he not extent an olive branch!!?
He did!
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-iron View Post
What if Obama would have said OK the Cambridge cops got it right (just for the sake of race relations!! even though the arrest was questionable) and supported cops rather than take a firm stance not even admiting wrongdoing (calling the cops stupid) would'nt whites and race relations have taken a time-out and be a little better??
do you think everyone expressing their honest feelings is probably better in the long run?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2009, 02:01 PM
 
313 posts, read 656,184 times
Reputation: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
He did!do you think everyone expressing their honest feelings is probably better in the long run?
Obama took sides from the very begining (evoking race,history with cops) and never really apoligized the only reason for the beer summit was to soften his stance
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2009, 02:07 PM
 
34,968 posts, read 37,593,521 times
Reputation: 6190
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-iron View Post
Obama took sides from the very begining (evoking race,history with cops) and never really apoligized the only reason for the beer summit was to soften his stance
If he'd gone on national TV and talked more about it it would have gotten even bigger and worse for everyone -- dragged on and on.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top