Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 07:37 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,249,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I dont believe you are in Americorps.
A little late but I was in the program.

GSU's GreenCorps — Georgia State University

I quit the program not because of the crazy conspiracies that we had to learn about but because this friend of the previous director was an incompetent moody dictator.

It's too late now that I've deleted all of the emails we had back and forth but she was getting frustrated that no one took her seriously so she sent out this tyrannical email stating that she was going to delete our hours if among a few things, we talked to her supervisor about her instead of her I sent out a long tirade to the Americorps auditors about this but so far I guess no one cares (it's been a few months and it's an Obama administration).

If I still had those emails, since the Feds weren't going to do anything, I could have at least forwarded them to my state auditor to report if nothing else her violating labor laws for trying to not recognize hours because we'd try to communicate with someone that was reasonable but alas it's been too long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 10:57 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,592,007 times
I printed my email. But even having it doesn't do any one any good. You know what they say about trying to sue city hall.

VISTA and AmeriCorps and Service Learning, is a subject that few people are talking about. The fewer the people that talk about this, well it could get silent sneaky...

H.R.1388: GIVE Act - U.S. Congress - OpenCongress

Obama redeploys grassroots army to campaign for budget « Barack Obama

History | Learn and Serve America's National Service-Learning Clearinghouse

As passionate as people are about the things they hear, that most will talk 'em to death. I find it odd that Obama's speech was heard in Colorado during his campaign, but yet now one listened to or adhered to, 'equal to that of the military.'

I'm thinking people are ready to go to work now for their communities.

I'm sad to hear that your term end was shortened, jhtrico1850.

Even though I too had a negative experience, I'm thinking AmeriCorps is just something that isn't for every one.

I'm looking at the Service Learning aspects of it because there will be a 10 year long study conducted through out the education system, on how viable such a program would be so as to increase community involvement through volunteerism.

This is an interesting read: Classroom Activists: How Service-Learning Challenges Prejudice | Teaching Tolerance (http://www.tolerance.org/activity/classroom-activists-how-service-learning - broken link)

and so is this: APS Observer - Integrating Service-Learning Into Psychology Courses

I believe that Service Learning is a program that will quietly be put into place reaching our public and private education system, which is good.

At first I didn't like it because I thought 'brown shirts', but the more I learn about it, the better I feel in regards to what the next generation will be taught in school.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:26 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerPlayer1 View Post
This is a classic example of the sort of delusional idealism I experienced in NCCC. I sure hope you're 18-24, because if you're any older than that and still have yet to figure out the most basic precepts of human nature, well, hate to be you.

"IF WE JUST DEVISE A MORE HIGH-MINDED, IDEALISTIC SYSTEM, PEOPLE WILL SUDDENLY CHANGE AND GET IN LINE BEHIND IT!"

Here's a simple metric to determine if your 'idea' is valid or not.
If in any way, shape or form it's predicated on everyone suddenly snapping together and behaving in a collective interest, it's never, ever, ever, ever going to happen. You don't even have everyone in this thread on your side. If you seriously believe that innumerable people across an array of different cultures, ehnicities and life experiences are going to forsake their own self interests in favor of some starry-eyed "system", well, I'd bet your aren't very good at things requiring objectivity.
No, people will not suddenly change and get behind it because things like that evolve over time. I'm sure that if you told the Egyptians during the time of the Pharoahs, that they would no longer need pyramids a golden idols they would have sent you packing. If a higher conciousness were to prevail, a better system than the one that we accept now would come to pass. The sixties was a peek into a more radical and utopian way of thinking. The level of superficiality and greed that prevails now cannot abide because it is not sustainable. We might not be around to see it, but if the planet with humans as its ruling inhabitants manages to survive, the way that life is being led now will be archaic and most likely looked upon by future generatons with disdain.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:31 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
No, people will not suddenly change and get behind it because things like that evolve over time. I'm sure that if you told the Egyptians during the time of the Pharoahs, that they would no longer need pyramids a golden idols they would have sent you packing. If a higher conciousness were to prevail, a better system than the one that we accept now would come to pass. The sixties was a peek into a more radical and utopian way of thinking. The level of superficiality and greed that prevails now cannot abide because it is not sustainable. We might not be around to see it, but if the planet with humans as its ruling inhabitants manages to survive, the way that life is being led now will be archaic and most likely looked upon by future generatons with disdain.
Well, hopefully with laughter.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:42 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Well, hopefully with laughter.
Probably some of that too. I just imagine some getting a bit miffed that they can no longer see wildlife, plant species and landscapes that have become extinct due to mankinds utterly stupid and selfish decisions and actions.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:50 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Probably some of that too. I just imagine some getting a bit miffed that they can no longer see wildlife, plant species and landscapes that have become extinct due to mankinds utterly stupid and selfish decisions and actions.
I hate embracing the idea of having to learn everything the hard way.

That just seems so . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies