U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 01:36 AM

9 posts, read 4,868 times

Advertisements

I am no expert on politics but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand the transformation conservative media has made since their party was no longer in office.

All day long they attack our President in ways I would not submit my worst enemy to, as if he is the root of everything that is broken in our country.

Why do they attack this new and challenged President so severely, but for 8 years they never came close to questioning the man that made all of this a reality for us to begin with? Ok, maybe he was questioned, but strung up by the damn balls and watched under a microscope? Nah. No matter what good our President does, the opposite party finds something wrong with it and whines about it to all the world like little obnoxious kids.

Seriously? Dont you realize what you are bitching about is a direct result of the absolute HELL your own party put us through to begin with?!

What gives? Why are you guys so pissed at the guy who has the unreal task at repairing it all, instead of the person that made it all go to hell to begin with? Why don't you put yourself in our Presidents shoes, instead of ***** about how wrong he is?

This is why politics SUCKS, because you allow a man to wage war and change your constitutional rights no prob, but when it comes to actually trying new ideas to band aid all the problems that resulted, all hell breaks lose. That makes so much sense. Maybe try becoming apart of the solution, instead of the problem?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 01:53 AM

26,684 posts, read 26,248,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriel86 View Post
No matter what good our President does, the opposite party finds something wrong with it and whines about it to all the world like little obnoxious kids.
I think it stems from a frustration of being sent to the sidelines by the voters. As far as having control of the federal government, Republicans are basically bench warmers right now. That must be very frustrating. Of course, Democrats were bench warmers for a few years too.

The Republican Party may come back, but like the Democrats did, they'll have to learn how to attract more moderate voters. They can't depend on a dwindling base of older, rural, conservative whites to win elections.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:05 AM

9 posts, read 4,868 times
Yes, I can understand where you're coming from completely. What gets me, is that when democrats were the bench warmers, I don't remember it getting anywhere near as nasty and personal as it is being made now, yet if any faction ever had an excuse to get nasty, it was for sure THEN! For sure, democrats took their pot shots, but I can say with certainty that certain lines weren't habitually crossed as they are being now. A matter of respect was involved, much more so than is being demonstrated by the political minority at this moment.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:12 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,611,581 times
Both sides have their extreme pundits. They have the right to voice their opinions and I have the right to turn off the channel.

When push comes to shove the listerners/viewers of these pundits are the loyal base who are going to vote a certain way anyhow. Seems most elections now are determined by the swing voters who don't listen/watch this stuff.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:15 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,611,581 times
Quote:
Yes, I can understand where you're coming from completely. What gets me, is that when democrats were the bench warmers, I don't remember it getting anywhere near as nasty and personal as it is being made now, yet if any faction ever had an excuse to get nasty, it was for sure THEN! For sure, democrats took their pot shots, but I can say with certainty that certain lines weren't habitually crossed as they are being now. A matter of respect was involved, much more so than is being demonstrated by the political minority at this moment.
The Ds crossed the line during the Bush admin, just like the Rs crossed the line during the Clinton yrs and so on and so on for the past 50 yrs.

The only thing that I would say is different is that the R pundits have turned into conspiracy theorists with no conspiracy, the D pundits who were conspiracy theorists in 2000 had the election to focus on.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:45 AM

Quote:
I do agree with you. I was probably being too generous in my earlier comment. The truth is that the nutcases appear to be in control of the Republican Party. When the most prominent Republican voices are the voices of Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh, I think that's a sign of trouble.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:48 AM

11,456 posts, read 13,299,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I do agree with you. I was probably being too generous in my earlier comment. The truth is that the nutcases appear to be in control of the Republican Party. When the most prominent Republican voices are the voices of Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh, I think that's a sign of trouble.

Well the biggy to me is that no moderate Republican will stand up to them. Why not? Are all the moderate Republicans gone?

They LOST because of morons like Beck and Rush, yet they were given the keys when the dust settled.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Well the biggy to me is that no moderate Republican will stand up to them. Why not? Are all the moderate Republicans gone?
Either the moderates have totally left the party, or they're afraid of the crazy 10% who own their party right now. With Republicans like James Von Brunn and Scott Roeder (murderer of the abortion doctor), they probably have good reason to be afraid of the loony base.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:23 AM

527 posts, read 1,614,251 times
Quote:
I am no expert on politics but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand the transformation conservative media has made since their party was no longer in office.

All day long they attack our President in ways I would not submit my worst enemy to, as if he is the root of everything that is broken in our country.

Why do they attack this new and challenged President so severely, but for 8 years they never came close to questioning the man that made all of this a reality for us to begin with? Ok, maybe he was questioned, but strung up by the damn balls and watched under a microscope? Nah. No matter what good our President does, the opposite party finds something wrong with it and whines about it to all the world like little obnoxious kids.

Seriously? Dont you realize what you are bitching about is a direct result of the absolute HELL your own party put us through to begin with?!

What gives? Why are you guys so pissed at the guy who has the unreal task at repairing it all, instead of the person that made it all go to hell to begin with? Why don't you put yourself in our Presidents shoes, instead of ***** about how wrong he is?

This is why politics SUCKS, because you allow a man to wage war and change your constitutional rights no prob, but when it comes to actually trying new ideas to band aid all the problems that resulted, all hell breaks lose. That makes so much sense. Maybe try becoming apart of the solution, instead of the problem?
I can see your frustration. It is one thing to disagree with conservatism and another to disagree with the leaders of conservatism. Many conservatives such as myself do not believe that Bush was a true Republican. He spent a lot of money on space, education, etc. Republicans have a mixed view of the war. Ron Paul is a Paleo-conservative which is the "old face" of the Republican party which combines fiscal conservatism and non-interventionist policies. Unfortunately, after WWII when we officially became a superpower, both parties saw their chance to grab at world dominance. Now, nobody really has the true answer as to why the Iraq war took place but it is definitely not because of WMD's or even control over the oil itself, nor was it saving the Iraqis from a tyrannical dictatorship. One possible reason stems back to assassination attempts made on Bush Senior which could have some lasting stigma, others postulate that Saddam was going to commence selling oil in Euro in lieu of US currency which would reduce the US cash flow with premium spread when every country has to exchange currency into US dollar to purchase oil, and lastly to set up the first democracy in that part of the world outside of Israel for other Islamic states to follow. We will never know the facts because every government hides their motives. Thirty years from now this could have been the best thing for our country's survival or it could have just been a waste of money but only time will tell.

Now many liberals on the other side of the camp believe they can negotiate and appease these people but history shows that Muslims spread their ideology by the sword and they believe there is still a jihad taking place and we are the crusaders of the modern day. Still other liberals want us to cease to exist as a superpower and become more like Europe, focused less on maintaining our world domination and more on social issues. This may very well happen but if it were to happen, China would be the next superpower that would be obligated to take leadership where the US left off. Honestly, I don't think China has a very good track record of preserving human rights and I don't think if some middle eastern terrorist blows up a town in Europe that they will come to save them. I honestly think that if Europe just sits back it will eventually become an Islamic state since their birth rate is extremely low and the Muslim birth rate is high at at this point. In time many European cities will have as much Muslims as Christians. We live in a very dynamic world and to disregard foreign policy and become isolationist will do nothing to stop the threat of terrorism because the minute Islam stops spreading, it ceases to exist.

I don't think any particular party is the perfect model. Many Liberals attribute the hard economic times to Bush's policies much like many Conservatives attributed the hard economic times in the late 70's to Carter. Both sides mess up. Being partisan is not a good idea, it empowers the politicians. If everyone joined the independent party tomorrow, politicians would not be able to rig elections because they wouldn't know which way you will vote.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:25 AM

jja100, you sound too intelligent to be a member of today's Republican Party. You definitely stand out from the crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies