Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the coach deserved to be suspended for 30 days for using the word f*ggot?
The suspension wasn't harsh enough. He should have been fired. 6 16.22%
Yes, the 30-day suspension was appropriate. 7 18.92%
No, he didn't deserve it. His apology should have been enough. 20 54.05%
No, he didn't deserve it at all. If anything, he should be praised and admired for saying the word out loud. 4 10.81%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 06:24 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,903 times

Advertisements

In my personal life, if someone's genuinely, truly sorry for offending me, then that's good enough for me. I don't seek additional punishment or hold a grudge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 06:28 PM

968 posts, read 1,038,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
In my personal life, if someone's genuinely, truly sorry for offending me, then that's good enough for me. I don't seek additional punishment or hold a grudge.
I think that's a good attitude to take, but it doesn't really address the issue here. The question is, as an employer of a public figure, do you want him or her to come across as a hateful, vulgar bigot. I'd say no. I don't want that to be the image of my institution portrayed in public.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:34 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,903 times
Quote:
Originally posted by ramanboy33
I think that's a good attitude to take, but it doesn't really address the issue here. The question is, as an employer of a public figure, do you want him or her to come across as a hateful, vulgar bigot. I'd say no. I don't want that to be the image of my institution portrayed in public.
I didn't think about it that way. In that case maybe a suspension would have been sufficient. 30 days still seems a bit much though. <<shrug>>

Old 08-01-2009, 06:37 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanboy33 View Post
I know. God damned PC police. I can't even use the N word anymore when I see a n***er.
I hear ya. I'm still steamed that I can't say "jigaboo" in public anymore.

But since that's been taken away from me, I hope I can still use the word "butt blasters" to describe homos. Why, you ask? Oh, no special reason. I just like to say it often. I've already taught it to my one-year-old nephew. He's a fast learner. Takes after his uncle.

And yes, I'm kidding.

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 08-01-2009 at 06:47 PM..

Old 08-01-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkman View Post
I think the apology was enough. In today's age I don't think for a lot of people that particular word is referring to someone who is gay (even though it is used in that manner also). I believe it is more a reference to what would be considered effeminate or not fitting the male stereotype.
Okay, now I'm being serious again. I find that really interesting! There have been several times I've seen posts on the internet over the last couple of years that say things like, "I'm not anti-gay at all, but I don't like f@gs." Fascinating!

Back when I was a youngun, "gay" and "f@g" were interchangeable. They meant the exact same thing. Now, it seems the words have evolved to conform to the long-held belief that if you're a masculine guy, it doesn't matter so much if you're straight or gay; what you DON'T want to be is effeminate, because if you are, you'll be labeled a F@G.

This forum is so educational.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:26 PM

877 posts, read 2,768,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Okay, now I'm being serious again. I find that really interesting! There have been several times I've seen posts on the internet over the last couple of years that say things like, "I'm not anti-gay at all, but I don't like f@gs." Fascinating!

Back when I was a youngun, "gay" and "f@g" were interchangeable. They meant the exact same thing. Now, it seems the words have evolved to conform to the long-held belief that if you're a masculine guy, it doesn't matter so much if you're straight or gay; what you DON'T want to be is effeminate, because if you are, you'll be labeled a F@G.

This forum is so educational.
When I was growing up, the terminology that was used was "sissy" for what I am referring to. Calling someone a f*g did mean that they were referring to someone who was gay, as you noted. When somone used the word sissy though, I did not take that to mean that someone was gay. As time has progressed the word "f**got", has intergrated with the word "sissy" whereas I don't think of someone being gay unless I know for sure that is the context that someone is using it for. I do not use the terminology but I know people that do and I know that they usually are not referring to someone's sexuality.

My choice of wording may have been incorrect when I said "effeminate". I guess it would be more aligned to someone not necessarily being effeminate but being "soft". My main thing is that it did not appear, in this instance, that he was referring to someone's sexual orientation since that is not something you can tell by looking at someone. He could have interchanged the words and said "p**sy" dance which would have had the same connotation in what I think he was referring to. Masculine talk that tries to emasculate your opponent in someone else's eyes.

I think that for a lot of people, using the word f**got is more of putting someone down as they are not as manly as the next person. This is something that I hear from heterosexuals and homosexuals.

Now, this has been my experience and the people that I know so I can't speak on everything but the evolution of the statements have been more on the line of the following:
  • "They're such a sis*y"
  • "He's a punk"
  • "He's such a f*g"
  • "He's so gay"
All of the statements are not regarding someone's sexual identity but their perceived masculinity.

I know this is not the topic but in some cultures, you are not even considered gay unless you are the "passive" partner. These things are tough though when you think about it because everyone has different definitions for some of the terminology that they use but I think we all most be cognizant of the audience that we are talking to so that we don't unintentionally offend someone.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkman View Post
My main thing is that it did not appear, in this instance, that he was referring to someone's sexual orientation since that is not something you can tell by looking at someone.
Maybe not just by looking, but get a guy to talk a little bit, and you'll have a good idea about it. Get some alcohol in him and there will be no question.

Quote:
I know this is not the topic but in some cultures, you are not even considered gay unless you are the "passive" partner.
Yep. I've been sensing that there is increasingly the case among young guys in the U.S., particularly among black and Latino guys who like to do something with another guy occasionally. As long as they're in the active role, they still consider themselves to be straight. I think it's fine. I prefer to see people define themselves as they wish when it comes to sexual orientation.

Anyway, thanks for the history lesson.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:47 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,476,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
I know for me and well I am not going to tell my age although when I say this it might the word "gay" when I was young did NOT mean homosexual. It was weak or dumb. So if some did something dumb we would say "that was gay" as in dumb. Only in recent years has the word morphed. I still say it in the terms I described right or wrong it is just a word and should not have that much power.
You've got that 100% backwards, as another poster pointed out. "Gay" went from meaning "happy" or "carefree" to "homosexual". People with a low opinion of homosexuals then began adopting the word as a general term of disparagement.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:51 PM

877 posts, read 2,768,159 times
Quote:
Maybe not just by looking, but get a guy to talk a little bit, and you'll have a good idea about it. Get some alcohol in him and there will be no question.
LOL

Quote:
Yep. I've been sensing that there is increasingly the case among young guys in the U.S., particularly among black and Latino guys who like to do something with another guy occasionally. As long as they're in the active role, they still consider themselves to be straight. I think it's fine. I prefer to see people define themselves as they wish when it comes to sexual orientation.
Yes, I think self identification is important as it empowers you to be who you are since we are all not identical.

Quote:
Anyway, thanks for the history lesson.
Can't say it is truly a history lesson but thank you for the conversation. Peace.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:02 PM

689 posts, read 742,892 times
I guess they're going to have to suspend about 90 percent of the 10-12 year olds from school too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies