Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the coach deserved to be suspended for 30 days for using the word f*ggot?
The suspension wasn't harsh enough. He should have been fired. 6 16.22%
Yes, the 30-day suspension was appropriate. 7 18.92%
No, he didn't deserve it. His apology should have been enough. 20 54.05%
No, he didn't deserve it at all. If anything, he should be praised and admired for saying the word out loud. 4 10.81%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 03:15 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times

Advertisements

HONOLULU - Hawaii coach Greg McMackin was suspended for 30 days without pay and has volunteered to take an additional 7 percent pay cut from his $1.1 million salary for making a derogatory comment while describing Notre Dame’s chant before last year’s Hawaii Bowl.

“I know most of the coaches in the country are rooting for us to beat Notre Dame,” McMackin said. “Charlie gives this talk, ‘We do something special at Notre Dame,’ and (the players) get up and they do this little cheer ... this little f*ggot dance.”

“Don’t write that ‘f*ggot’ down. I was misquoted,” he said. “Just please … cover for me,” McMackin said. “Go ahead, say ‘f*ggot dance.’ No. Please cover for me on that, too — right Karl? I’ll deny it. Anything else?”

About 15 minutes after McMackin left the room, he returned and added, “I want to officially, officially apologize. Please don’t write that statement I said as far as Notre Dame. The reason is I don’t care about Notre Dame. But I’m not a … I don’t want to come out and have every homosexual ticked off at me. You know what I mean, because I don’t have any problem with homosexuals. But I apologize for saying that and I’d appreciate it if you wouldn’t run that word. If you said ‘dance,’ that’s OK. But don’t use the bad term that I chose, please. Thank you.”

Hawaii coach suspended 30 days over gay slur - College football- nbcsports.msnbc.com

Hawaii football coach uses homosexual slur in reference to Notre Dame | rgj.com | Reno Gazette-Journal

Audio here: http://media.idahostatesman.com/smedia/2009/07/30/12/0730_audio_mcmackin.source.prod_affiliate.36.mp3 (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 03:58 AM

I think making a big deal out of the word "f@ggot" just gives the word more power and doesn't address the root of the problem. If he had said "this little gay dance", would that have been better? No, I don't think so. If anything needs to be addressed, it's perhaps his opinions about homosexuals.

Mere words aren't harmful. What matters more are the attitudes and feelings behind our words.

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 08-01-2009 at 04:18 AM..

Old 08-01-2009, 05:14 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,440,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I think making a big deal out of the word "f@ggot" just gives the word more power and doesn't address the root of the problem. If he had said "this little gay dance", would that have been better? No, I don't think so. If anything needs to be addressed, it's perhaps his opinions about homosexuals.

Mere words aren't harmful. What matters more are the attitudes and feelings behind our words.

I agree I think people make way to much out of "words". If we let words have power they hurt if we chose not to they don't. People can call me whatever they want and unless I really care about you if does not hurt me or bother me. I don't think he should have said it BUT I do think use of words if way overblown.

I know for me and well I am not going to tell my age although when I say this it might the word "gay" when I was young did NOT mean homosexual. It was weak or dumb. So if some did something dumb we would say "that was gay" as in dumb. Only in recent years has the word morphed. I still say it in the terms I described right or wrong it is just a word and should not have that much power.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
I know for me and well I am not going to tell my age although when I say this it might the word "gay" when I was young did NOT mean homosexual. It was weak or dumb. So if some did something dumb we would say "that was gay" as in dumb. Only in recent years has the word morphed.
When you say, "only in recent years has the word morphed", are you saying you believe that it's only been in the last few years that it's come to mean homosexual?

The word "gay" has been used to mean "homosexual" as far back as the 1800s. It became a common word to describe homosexuals in the 1950s. By the 1970s, "gay" certainly meant homosexual more than anything else.

It began to be used as a pejorative term in the late 1970s, but didn't really become popular to use it that way until the late 1990s. My sense is that over the last couple of years, the pejorative usage of "gay" has fallen out of favor somewhat.

Online Etymology Dictionary

Gay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-01-2009, 05:47 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,414,166 times
He really shouldn't have been punished, he didn't mean to insult homosexuals in any way. Its not like ****** is really "their" word anymore, people use it everyday to insinuate other meanings.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:54 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,052,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post

Would you have been ok with "little fudgepacker dance?" ,...JK.. It was out of line for him to say that word like that. He probably has a gay player or 2 and does not even know it.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeldude View Post
He really shouldn't have been punished, he didn't mean to insult homosexuals in any way. Its not like ****** is really "their" word anymore, people use it everyday to insinuate other meanings.
This is interesting. How is it used to insinuate other meanings? I really am curious about the etymology of words. I know the word "gay" is sometimes used to mean "stupid" or "broken", but is the word "f@ggot" now used in everyday language to mean something other than homosexual? I'm guessing that you're saying that "f@ggot" can also mean "stupid" or "broken" in the same way that "gay" can mean those things. For example, if someone says, "Quit being a f@ggot!", it doesn't necessarily mean that the person is saying, "Quit being a homosexual!" Is that what you mean?

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 08-01-2009 at 06:05 AM..

Old 08-01-2009, 05:58 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Would you have been ok with "little fudgepacker dance?" ,..
Yes, but only until someone says, "Hey, wait a minute..." at which point that one will have to be erased from the list, too.

The Political Correctness Movement evidently has a Verbal Brigade.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Would you have been ok with "little fudgepacker dance?" ,...JK.. It was out of line for him to say that word like that. He probably has a gay player or 2 and does not even know it.
Again, the words on their own aren't really the problem. In speaking to a group of reporters, I think he was foolish to say that word, but if someone uses a slur and I'm confident that he's only joking, then the word doesn't bother me at all. And that's the point I'm making. Censoring someone's language seems like a superficial way to address the problem.

And actually, the phrase, "little fudgepacker dance" makes me chuckle. (With that said, yes, it would have been very qu-eer for him to use that phrase - oops! - I meant to say strange - really, I did! )

Old 08-01-2009, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Yes, but only until someone says, "Hey, wait a minute..." at which point that one will have to be erased from the list, too.

The Political Correctness Movement evidently has a Verbal Brigade.
Yeah, man, what's this world coming to when you can't even call someone a fudgepacker without being reprimanded?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies