Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 05:14 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,428,898 times

Advertisements

Perry raises possibility of states' rights showdown with White House over healthcare | Top Stories | Star-Telegram.com (http://www.star-telegram.com/804/story/1504240.html?storylink=omni_popular - broken link)

Quote:
AUSTIN — Gov. Rick Perry, raising the specter of a showdown with the Obama administration, suggested Thursday that he would consider invoking states’ rights protections under the 10th Amendment to resist the president’s healthcare plan, which he said would be "disastrous" for Texas.

Interviewed by conservative talk show host Mark Davis of Dallas’ WBAP/820 AM, Perry said his first hope is that Congress will defeat the plan, which both Perry and Davis described as "Obama Care." But should it pass, Perry predicted that Texas and a "number" of states might resist the federal health mandate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 05:18 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,964,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Perry raises possibility of states' rights showdown with White House over healthcare | Top Stories | Star-Telegram.com (http://www.star-telegram.com/804/story/1504240.html?storylink=omni_popular - broken link)
well fine then. Let the Federal Gov't withhold ALL healthcare funding for healthcare (Medicare, Medicaid, etc) and let's see how the conservative hillbillies like that. I remember that all states were forced to raise the drinking age to 21 in order to keep their federal highway funding coming. The federal gov't controls the pursestrings, therefor runs the show. Perry is just playing to his ignorant conservative base again.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:27 PM

I don't particularly care for any of the proposals being tossed around in Congress. That said, assuming something passes, Perry has no business pulling this crap.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:31 PM

4,000 posts, read 10,822,174 times
Good. We need an issue to bring States Rights back to the forefront, rights that have been trampled and abused for several decades now by an overreaching behemoth of a Federal Government.
Wehotex...why the name calling? Why am I a "hillbilly" because I do not want the feds meddling in any more of my life? If you cannot cope with personal responsibility, fine, but keep the insults to yourself.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:33 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
well fine then. Let the Federal Gov't withhold ALL healthcare funding for healthcare (Medicare, Medicaid, etc) and let's see how the conservative hillbillies like that. I remember that all states were forced to raise the drinking age to 21 in order to keep their federal highway funding coming. The federal gov't controls the pursestrings, therefor runs the show. Perry is just playing to his ignorant conservative base again.
Yes, someone needs to force his hand. If Medicare and Medicaid funds are witheld, not only will a lot of people not get the care they need, a lot of caregivers will lose their jobs, adding to the unemployment rolls.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:56 PM

18,337 posts, read 26,427,339 times
Quote:
I don't particularly care for any of the proposals being tossed around in Congress. That said, assuming something passes, Perry has no business pulling this crap.
The feds have no authority to be in the healthcare business.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:57 PM

18,337 posts, read 26,427,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I wouldn't be upset. The less government the better.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:03 PM

716 posts, read 1,118,164 times
Didn't Perry already try this a few months ago?

Old 07-25-2009, 06:11 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,053,243 times
Quote:
I think Perry is just a guy that likes the smell of his own farts and has noticed how easily Palin is keeping her name in the headlines and is "going for it" too.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
I think Perry is just a guy that likes the smell of his own farts and has noticed how easily Palin is keeping her name in the headlines and is "going for it" too.
Funny you should mention Palin. Palin has already endorsed Perry for governor in 2010. There are rumors floating around that she will be actively involved in campaigning for him.

Personally, I'll be biting my tongue and voting for Kay "Bailout" in the primary. If Perry wins the primary, I'll go ahead and bite my tongue even more and vote for him in the general election but I REALLY do not want him to be on that ballot at all next November.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies