Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 12:28 PM

99 posts, read 522,275 times

Advertisements

I have been listening to lot of reports about China in past few days. They have been uncontrollable by US and going ahead with lot of missile tests (ref: recent anti-satellite test). There is no doubt that they are going to be as strong as we are in near future. But I have my own questions whether they will be as responsible and caretaker of small nations as we (US) have always been. Will they be friendly? Will they be a good nation? What do u all think about Rise of Asian Dragon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 12:31 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Pardon me, but this might be a more appropriate post for the "Politics and Other Controversies" forum which is just a bit further down on the main forum page.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:30 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,473,911 times
Agreed, this is better for the politics board. I'm sure a mod will move it.

I don't believe that the perception of the U.S. as a caretaker of other nations is completely accurate. I think we - our government and our corporations - just as often take advantage of smaller nations, mainly in a financial sense. I think Communist nations have less subtle ways that they 'take advantage' of other nations - basically by strongarm and military might. (i.e. the USSR in Afghanistan, USSR's acquisition of eastern Europe, China in Tibet, China's dealings with Taiwan)

I think as long as we (the US) take great care to be aware of what is good and bad for China, and compromise, then they will continue to be our ally. If we adopt an "Our way or the highway" approach, I could see a strained relationship. Right now, the biggest obstacles I can think of are the competition for oil supply and China's insistency on pegging their currency to our dollar.

On the bright side, I think the Chinese people have some admiration for American culture and the "American dream", they are still aware that we saved their butts in WWII, and we have a mutual problem in North Korea. Of course they are "uncontrollable" - there is no way we can control them, really we can only try to get along with them.

Old 04-23-2007, 03:44 PM

332 posts, read 1,625,074 times

Last edited by Vagus; 04-23-2007 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: double post

Old 04-23-2007, 03:47 PM

332 posts, read 1,625,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snitins View Post
They have been uncontrollable by US
We're never going to be able to "control" China. Nor should we try to, in the sense I think you mean it. In case you haven't noticed, we can't even seem to "control" Iraq . . .

Quote:
There is no doubt that they are going to be as strong as we are in near future.
China in no way measures up to the US in terms of either military technology or economic strength. Are they growing? Yes. Will we eventually come in conflict with them? Probably, most likely over oil needs. All the more reason to move away from an oil-based economy ASAP.

Quote:
I have my own questions whether they will be as responsible and caretaker of small nations as we (US) have always been.
You've got to be kidding me.

Quote:
Will they be a good nation?
If by this you mean "will they roll over and do whatever the US wants them to do," no, of course they won't. They have their own problems and interests. But I also doubt they'll go off on some program of regional military conquest (Taiwan, southeast asia, etc). But actually, IMHO, China could do everyone (themselves included) a big favor and win HUGE points with the US by rolling into North Korea one of these days. . . .

Old 04-23-2007, 11:12 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,249,400 times
Quote:
But actually, IMHO, China could do everyone (themselves included) a big favor and win HUGE points with the US by rolling into North Korea one of these days. . . .
China = communist country

N. Korea = communist country

China & N. Korea ever going into war = highly unlikely

Although I do completely agree with you. Right now I think the only country with any pull with N. Korea is China. Too bad they aren't doing much about anything.

As an American what I would be concerned about is the China-Taiwan relationship. If Taiwan seeks to be it's own country China will take action (to say it in the lightest terms) and I believe the United States will inevitably have to get involved (Taiwan is a democratic society, although IMO with a very corrupt gov't).

Old 04-24-2007, 12:17 AM

982 posts, read 3,306,380 times
Quote:
As an American what I would be concerned about is the China-Taiwan relationship. If Taiwan seeks to be it's own country China will take action (to say it in the lightest terms) and I believe the United States will inevitably have to get involved
That was going to be my first point. We gave China a very nice view of our Naval fleet. We were making a point, and it had everything to do with Taiwan. I think that conflict is coming - how it will be resolved is anybody's guess. Quote: "Taiwan independence means war," Maj. Gen. Peng Guangqian told the New China News Agency. "This is the word of 1.3 billion people, and we will keep our word." We're in a tricky position here. And we owe them money. Could going to war with China get us out of that debt?

On another note, I am glad to see that China is trying to get N. Korea to chill.

China also has a big problem observing intellectual property rights.

Old 04-24-2007, 04:05 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,165,460 times
We wouldn't go to war with China because we have no chance of beating China. China has nuclear weapons, just like we do. China is now the first country to shoot a satellite out of space with a land-based system (neither the USA or Russia have ever done this).

China has 1.3 billion people, we have less than 1/4 of that.

Start a war with China? We'd have to be CRAZY!

Old 04-24-2007, 04:32 AM

223 posts, read 281,040 times
china lives eats and breaths military.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:11 AM

1,247 posts, read 925,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snitins View Post
But I have my own questions whether they will be as responsible and caretaker of small nations as we (US) have always been.
I laughed when I read this. If you think we've been responsible or a caretaker of small nations...you've bought into the propaganda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies