Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 02:18 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
It is my opinion that we're spending our way toward putting off the inevitable economic crash and eventual value reset on items from autos to houses to gasoline to bread....

I'm not really here to champion big spending, nor am I going to discount it until it's an obvious failure.... All I know is we'd BEEN spending big on out of country concerns. NOW we're spending on OUR country's concerns.

I'm willing to give it a chance. Fiscal irresponsibility? Well, as I recall there's been only one President who balanced the budget in my lifetime and he wasn't a Republican. So I'm going to give the Dems a chance before I b***h and moan about their policies.

Fair enough to you?
Not when the Bush vs Obama deficits look like this:
Projected Deficit - washingtonpost.com

Or, if you prefer an analogy:

YouTube - The National Debt Road Trip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 02:19 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Riiiight... car sales had been so brisk before C for C - no problem there.

So you're suggesting that flooding the used car market with all of the trade-ins will somehow help used car dealers?

(Not to mention it puts a bunch of vehicles with crappy gas mileage BACK on the road..... Keep missing that there's a dual purpose with this program... )

Old 08-03-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Not when the Bush vs Obama deficits look like this:

Or, if you prefer an analogy:

YouTube - The National Debt Road Trip
Well, we'll see.... Again, the Dems have actually been the more fiscally responsible party in MY lifetime, so I'm willing to wait it out and see what happens..... I'm certain that the Republicans don't deserve a shot at fiscal responsibility after the last eight years, so hey..... Let's give this a shot... Rather than demonizing the implementation, I'll judge them by the results.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:23 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,523,473 times
Quote:
How did that work out for the mortgage and financial industries? You know... the subprime crisis that shook the economy to its core, not to mention the impending CRE, Option ARM, and Alt-A toxic loan crisis replay?
Tell me you see a difference between $250/mo. and $1500/mo. Please, please tell me you see a difference.

Then tell me how a $3 billion (if passed by Congress) program can cause a crisis?

Old 08-03-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Well, we'll see.... Again, the Dems have actually been the more fiscally responsible party in MY lifetime, so I'm willing to wait it out and see what happens..... I'm certain that the Republicans don't deserve a shot at fiscal responsibility after the last eight years, so hey..... Let's give this a shot... Rather than demonizing the implementation, I'll judge them by the results.
Well, Your life must have already ended because the deficit has ballooned under the Dem-led Congress since 2007, and then absolutely explodes under Obama plus a Dem-led Congress.

Did you even look at the Washington Post's deficit chart? Look again:

Old 08-03-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Tell me you see a difference between $250/mo. and $1500/mo. Please, please tell me you see a difference.
Please tell me you're not suggesting that people buying new cars because of CFC and taking on additional loan payments have no mortgage payments or don't pay rent.

Quote:
Then tell me how a $3 billion (if passed by Congress) program can cause a crisis?
Hello? Additional debt? Or did you think the new cars were free after the CFC incentive was paid?

Old 08-03-2009, 02:39 PM
obo

916 posts, read 985,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett_butler View Post
well, we'll see.... Again, the dems have actually been the more fiscally responsible party in my lifetime, so i'm willing to wait it out and see what happens..... I'm certain that the republicans don't deserve a shot at fiscal responsibility after the last eight years, so hey..... Let's give this a shot... Rather than demonizing the implementation, i'll judge them by the results.
wow...huh???????????

Old 08-03-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Well, Your life must have already ended because the deficit has ballooned under the Dem-led Congress since 2007, and then absolutely explodes under Obama plus a Dem-led Congress.

Did you even look at the Washington Post's deficit chart? Look again:
Let's see...... Massive defecit cause by picking fights in the Middle East.

-NOT a good reason to increase National Debt by $5 Trillion.

Saving the economy from complete collapse into depression?

-GOOD reason to increase National Debt by Trillions, IF IT WORKS.

My logic is sound. You just wish to jump up and down and claim that nothing Obama is doing or trying is working and I'm not.... If it doesn't work (which again, I don't think it ultimately will) then it was a bad idea.... I get that.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obo View Post
wow...huh???????????
I'm sorry, did I stutter? The National Debt increased the most in my watch under two particular Republican Presidencies.

Now, HERE is the kicker; BOTH of them presided over MASSIVE boom times and STILL decided to run defecits and drive the country further into debt.....

Capitalist Doctrine (which Republicans claim to cherish so) calls that a BIG no-no....... I'd call that fiscal irresponsibility, wouldn't you?

Old 08-03-2009, 06:14 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Does this offer support for the position that the best way to stimulate the economy would be to give the money back to the taxpayers versus running it through the government process?

Does it demonstrate that the government's ability to run programs effectively is poor and that there are unintended consequences?

Discuss...
This is the one incentive program, along with the the $8,000 dollar give away for first time home buyers, that are working, along with . Government spending on make-work projects is slow, cumbersome and not very effective.

What is not in keeping with conservative values is the government deciding what the people can use their money to buy. They cannot buy a car that will benefit their family, they must buy a government approved car.

But why is the government just giving away money to buy cars? Is it because 0bama is realizing that he needs to increase the profits for government owned GM and Chrysler? It might look bad politically if GM and Chrysler were to not make a profit.

And did you hear who 0bama is bringing in to handle the logistics of this program, its CitiGroup. Hmmm, 0bama owns GM and Chrysler, and owns a controlling interest in CitiGroup. I smell government looking after government, and not so much because they have the welfare of the people at heart.

If we took one conservative congressman's idea, and used the already passed $787 billion stimulus, and instead given the American taxpayers a certain percentage of their income tax as a holiday for a year, then people might have an extra $500 a month extra, which might be enough to keep them in their homes, so Bonny Fwank would not need to be talking about a another home mortgage rescue plan. It might also stimulate all markets accross the spectrum, and not just prop up the government owned car industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies