Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 01:37 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I sure hope the attempt is a success. I rather like the idea of making my own plans for my life - I don't need the government making them for me.
Then you must love the CARS program ... there's nothing in there that forces people to participate. Each person makes their own decision, good or bad. Freedom of choice.

So if the attempt to block additional funding of the CARS program is successful, then the government is removing that freedom of choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 01:43 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,828,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
lol Americans are sick of the spending so yeah keep spending and see where that gets ya democrats
i have a quesiton why did or do you support bush or any other lying conservative that spent spent spent?

Old 08-03-2009, 01:48 PM

9,501 posts, read 9,816,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
i have a quesiton why did or do you support bush or any other lying conservative that spent spent spent?
So those idiots did it, let's keep doing it....heck lets show them and spend more!!!

Great response.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:54 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
That's the point. Anyone who doesn't see that this is a play to please the auto workers' unions is blind.
UAW has organized Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Kia, Hynudai, Suzuki, BMW, Mercedes, Volo, Audio, Saab, Mini?

Old 08-03-2009, 03:00 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
Actually a brilliant comment from a member of the party of "No", although DeMint is intent on seeing Obama meet his "Waterloo"...
Further proof Republicans, DeMint especially, will block anything, even if it works, in an attempt to stop Barak Obama and his
plans for the American people from succeeding. In the process of course, he hurts his own constituency . I wonder what a poll
of car dealers in S.C. would look like relative to Cash for Clunkers and DeMint's position. Ya think?
I haven't been around for a few days. Hasn't anybody suggested that we must keep the government owned auto manufacturers going in order to not lose all that money. Somehow I just don't understand why so many have avoided seeing that one.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:18 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Then you must love the CARS program ... there's nothing in there that forces people to participate. Each person makes their own decision, good or bad. Freedom of choice.

So if the attempt to block additional funding of the CARS program is successful, then the government is removing that freedom of choice.
I always thought it was just an expression, but my jaw really did just hit the floor!

You weren't serious, were you? I mean, no sane person could think that what you posted is an actual argument...

What you said is just so wrong, on so many levels, I don't even know where to start, so I won't bother. It's outlandishly ridiculous, anyway, and doesn't even merit legitimization via debate. Just keep drinking your Kool-Aid and singing Kumbaya, and the doctors will keep bringing you your meds. Everything will be all-right...

Old 08-03-2009, 03:19 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
UAW has organized Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Kia, Hynudai, Suzuki, BMW, Mercedes, Volo, Audio, Saab, Mini?
Oh, are those the only makes you can obtain with your free money? Gosh, I wasn't aware of that.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:31 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
So those idiots did it, let's keep doing it....heck lets show them and spend more!!!

Great response.
No, the great response was yours.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:04 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post

The Senator is absolutely correct. The program violates the US Constitution and should never have been enacted into law in the first place.
Cite, please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post

"To date an overwhelming percentage of the people taking advantage of this program have traded vehicles that were free of encumbrances. Now they are in bondage, trapped into making payments during a time of great economic uncertainty. A number of the vehicles being traded in are in amazing condition. So, through this program we now eliminate a large segment of the used car market, vehicles that could be sold in the $3,000 to $6,000 range to those on tighter budgets.
What is an "overwhelming percentage"? Where do they get their data? How do they back it up? Oh, I see, they don't. It's one guy who's a leasing agent who "sees" what one dealership he shares a lot with is doing. Maybe. He's certainly not privy to the sales contracts themselves, let alone what people's "encumbrances" are. And he certainly doesn't have any way of knowing any new loans put any new buyers "in bondage".

But even if it's all true across the board, people taking out new loans gets the credit market moving again, which helps the economy. I have two vehicles that are free of encumbrances. I can fully afford to finance a new car if I feel like it. Please explain why I shouldn't upgrade from my 1999 vehicle to a newer model, with or without a huge cash incentive, just because I might have to finance it. The "logic" against buying a new vehicle when you currently have no car payment is absurd. People do it all the time. I've done it 3 times over my lifetime.

Where did he come up with the supposed value of $3,000 - $6,000 of these trade-ins? Looks like those are completely made-up numbers. There's simply no actual data to back up any of his contentions.

Why do you read garbage like this and not use a critical mind before buying into it whole hog?

Old 08-03-2009, 04:07 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
You think Bush spent spent spent? Bush's spending wasn't even minor league compared to the Dems and Obama. Notice how the deficit ballooned with the Dem-led Congress in 2008, and absolutely explodes with Obama and a Dem-led Congress going forward:
Bush vs Obama Deficit - washingtonpost.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies