Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 03:53 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,685,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Who are these 46 million you are going on about?

Are they too poor to afford insurance?

Please elaborate.

Here:

Overview of the Uninsured in the United States: An analysis of the 2005 Current Population Survey: Issue Brief
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 04:03 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,804,463 times
How many of those people can not afford health insurance??

Old 08-03-2009, 04:05 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,145,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
This bill protects insurance companies which is what they want. We give tax breaks so that the saved money can go straight to insurance companies. This is a great way for insurance companies to increase their revenue yet again! We tried to manage insurance companies in the past and they always get around it. In my opinion, it is health insurance companies that need to be reined in.

BTW Greatday, Do you have a close relative in the health insurance business that you can guarantee your insurance premium will not go up as you said in a post on another thread?
So - now you start the personal attacks once again - clearly because you have no legitimate argument against the proposed legislation.

This legislation eliminated preexisting conditions. That is not "protecting the insurance companies".

Unlike the Dem plan - this bill allows YOU to decide 1) If you want insurance and 2) if you do, from whom. No mandates. No fines. Total and complete freedom of choice

This bill caps premiums from insurance companies - again, not "protecting the insurance company" as you suggest.

This bill allows insurance companies to market their plans across state lines, creating larger insurance pools, bringing down premiums

This bill, unlike the Democratic plan, allows taxpayers TO DEDUCT THE PREMIUMS and other health care costs - in pretax dollars - thereby making insurance MORE AFFORDABLE

I could go on and on - but I will not - for, you are of a mindset that the only entity / group who can decide what is best for you is the Government.

I'm sorry but, I think I make better choices for my life than the Government can.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:05 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,549,508 times
thought the gop plan was a bottle of aspirin?

Old 08-03-2009, 04:08 PM

IMO, if you are truly an American, and you truly believe in FAIRNESS, you will contact your Congressional Representative(s) and DEMAND that this legislation at least be afforded fair hearings - The Democrats are trying desperately NOT to allow this by rushing through the Pelosi / Reid bills.

LET all sides be heard -

Old 08-03-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
I would rather pay into a UHC plan than a high premium to an insurance company that can rescind or deny coverage at anytime.
That is not what the other poster asked.

You are avoiding the question.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:10 PM

[quote=Greatday;10090323]So - now you start the personal attacks once again - clearly because you have no legitimate argument against the proposed legislation.
QUOTE]

Asking you if a close relative is in the insurance industry is a personal attack??

Old 08-03-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
The debate is out on that question. However, some 10 million of that number are illegal immigrants.

Depending on who provides the numbers - 12 to 15 million can afford insurance - but have chosen not to buy it - for what ever reason (and there are lots of reasons).

Old 08-03-2009, 04:13 PM

[quote=jojajn;10090419]So - now you start the personal attacks once again - clearly because you have no legitimate argument against the proposed legislation.[quote]

Quote:
Asking you if a close relative is in the insurance industry is a personal attack??
Part of it - yes.

And no - I have no relatives in the insurance business

Old 08-03-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Probably most. My brother-in-law had his non-group insurance premium go up to over $800/month because he got high blood pressure and Type 2 diabetes. He was only 60 years old. This was in the mid 1990s. Imagine what it would cost today!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies