Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 09:35 PM

1,966 posts, read 2,703,680 times

Advertisements

Ooh, ooh...Tell us more about those good ol'-fashioned Christian morals and family values y'all Republicans hold so dear...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 10:06 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
Ooh, ooh...Tell us more about those good ol'-fashioned Christian morals and family values y'all Republicans hold so dear...

They can't. They are too busy lying about health care and birth certificates, ya know , ANYTHING but the cheatin', immoral scumbags they ELECTED!!!!

Notice none of them have been defending this guy????? Why not?

Old 08-03-2009, 10:20 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,647,284 times
Quote:
Originally posted by Politico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Republican Christian values at work!
You know, that is just something. Taking an entire group of people and throwing them under the bus because a few low class highrollers got caught with their pants down. These men to not represent the Christian base of any particular political affiliation. There are so many really good people out there who put their faith in Jesus Christ and they should not be dragged through the mud just so you or anyone else can take a jab at a political party.

I mean come on, we are talking about a Senator here. Is anyone really surprised? For the most part, these men are all corrupt to the bone. Men and women like this are always the ones who seek powerful positions because they have a need to be important and they want the power to do as they please. That does not reflect of the rest of the masses, who have done nothing wrong except get swindled by a con artist striking his Jesus Christ pose. These men should be scorned and vilified by their constituents, because their actions apparently reflect directly on people with the same political affiliations that they have. They should let the world know this man does not stand for what they believe in spiritually, and that he has shamed them all.

This is really just like the way Muslims have become public enemy #1 to many in this country because of the actions of a few disturbed individuals. I say few because even if there are a million ignorant militants in their ranks they are still far outranked by the true Muslim people. But because of the few, the many must suffer. This is what happens when labels are placed on an entire, diverse group of people. The innocent are made to suffer. We musn't use labels like these to define our nation, or we will forever be divided. By all means, confront and expose wrong doing. But make some concessions for the many who have done no wrong.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
They can't. They are too busy lying about health care and birth certificates, ya know , ANYTHING but the cheatin', immoral scumbags they ELECTED!!!!

Notice none of them have been defending this guy????? Why not?
You know, I live in North Carolina, and my former governor, Mike Easley, is a democrat. And he and his wife are currently under investigation for numerous offenses during the time Easley was in office. I believe they are both Christians. See, there is nothing in the religion to suggest Christians never do wrong. And, there is nothing in the Bible about Repubs or Democrats, which is why I wouldn't start a thread condemning all Christian Democrats because of the actions of one troubled man. And one mistake does not completely tear down a man's morality. If anyone is being troubled by these events, both on the Dem side and the Repub side, it is the men themselves. That is, if they truly are Christians. Because if they are true to their faith they know, it is not the judgement of men like us that they need be concerned with. It is the judgement of God. And while I am not strictly a Christian in every sense of the word, I was brought up that way. And I have seen men, true Christian men, nearly tear themselves apart because of their wrong doing. And while part of that may be because they disappointed their loved ones, the truly repentent are more concerned with disappointing God. So watch these men, and see how they handle their troubles. You will know where their faith truly lies by their actions.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:27 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,850,710 times
Readstoomuch wrote; You know, that is just something.
Quote:
Taking an entire group of people and throwing them under the bus because a few low class highrollers got caught with their pants down.
This is what Republican pols have been doing for about 40 years.

Quote:
These men to not represent the Christian base of any particular political affiliation. There are so many really good people out there who put their faith in Jesus Christ and they should not be dragged through the mud just so you or anyone else can take a jab at a political party.
We might take this statement of yours more to heart if JUST ONE Republican "leader", whether elected or self-appointed would call these dirt bags out and go on national TV and say, "this man is not worthy to call himself a member of my political party, and I will not tolerate him or any other party members who behave in this fashion. I will make this statement from the well of the (House or) Senate, or this TV studio, every day until he and Mark Sanford, Larry Craig, John Ensign and the rest of the people who have sullied my party have resigned".

Until then we will laugh at them, and (indirectly, but not meaning you personally) you every day and in every way we can. Sorry, it's not "you", it's "them". Or you could begin a letter and email campaign to your party leaders demanding something like what I wrote. But you won't and they won't. So, suck it up.

golfgod

Last edited by golfgod; 08-03-2009 at 10:44 PM..

Old 08-03-2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
Readstoomuch wrote; You know, that is just something.

This is what Republican pols have been doing for about 40 years.

We might take this statement of yours more to heart if JUST ONE Republican "leader", whether elected or self-appointed would call these dirt bags out and go on national TV and say, "this man is not worthy to call himself a member of my political party, and I will not tolerate him or any other party members who behave in this fashion. I will make this statement from the well of the (House of) Senate, or this TV studio, every day until he and Mark Sanford, Larry Craig, John Ensign and the rest of the people who have sullied my party have resigned".

Until then we will laugh at them, and (indirectly, but not meaning you personally) you every day and in every way we can. Sorry, it's not "you", it's "them". Or you could begin a letter and email campaign to your party leaders demanding something like what I wrote. But you won't and they won't. So, suck it up.

golfgod
Perhaps you misunderstood my post. I am not a Republican. I am simply a man who can look at things from an unbiased perspective. I have no need to "suck anything up", for all I have done is point out the obvious shortcomings of an argument such as the one you and others are using. You say what I will and will not do, but you know nothing of me nor my beliefs. I do not restrict myself to any particular affiliation, because I will not restrict myself to any single party's line of thinking. I am a party of one, just me, and speak what I see as the truth when I choose to speak out. I have no loyalty to you, your party, nor anyone else's for that matter. I simply speak from the heart.

Did I not say the people should speak out in condemnation of this man's actions? Did I not specifically suggest just such action? Or did you overlook that part of the post because you had already decided I was just another Repub trying to shine things up a bit. All I asked was that you and yours stop labeling entire groups of people based on the mistakes of the few. But no, instead you will laugh at them. You won't be laughing at me, I have no stake in this whatsover other than speaking the truth. But why laugh at them? Is that what we have become in America. Snickering teenagers just waiting for the chance to shove someone into a locker. I'm sorry, but I just don't get it. This is not how I believe. That is not who I am.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:53 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
When it has nothing to do with their job, I say leave them alone. I said the same thing about Clinton, I say the same thing about Republicans. A private matter is just that private.

HOWEVER,

When it effects their job, they are using public funds to carry out their affair, or there is extortion, then I say string um up.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:53 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,850,710 times
Dear Readstoomuch;

You did to me what you accused me of doing. One of the posters above pointed out that the "pants down" rep was another example of "Republican Christian values". You accused him of painting an entire group with a broad brush and I pointed out that it was deserved. In my post I wrote that I did not mean "you" personally, I meant the "you" (plural) that continue to apologize for the Republicans, who frankly have been telling us for years how "good" and "family oriented" they are just because they wear their Christianity on their sleeves.

I pointed out that if they (and by inference, you) don't like it when we criticize or laugh at them, then they, or you should do something about it. Until then I'll laugh because it keeps me from crying.

Like you I don't like a lot of what I see going on in my country. I dont' like to see elected representatives and their PR firms get on TV and tell blatant lies, and then accuse those who expose their lies of being "less than a true American". I don't like it when posters on here start threads based on nothing but lies, but there's NOTHING I, or you can do about that. In the case of the elected reps I can call them out for the liars they are and laugh at them. In the other case, I can't.

golfgod

Old 08-03-2009, 11:17 PM

1,966 posts, read 2,703,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
These men to not represent the Christian base of any particular political affiliation.
What are you talking about? Of course they do. Most (all?) of the lying cheaters who've been "caught with their pants down" of late, in fact, represent the Christian base of the Republican party. Most (all?) of them claim to hold Christian morals and family values to high esteem, yet they see nothing wrong with cheating and lying to their families and the same Christian constituents who elected them to be their representatives.

Quote:
There are so many really good people out there who put their faith in Jesus Christ and they should not be dragged through the mud just so you or anyone else can take a jab at a political party.
No one's being dragged through the mud except the lying, cheating, Christian family values-preaching politicians who've been "caught with their pants down" of late.

Quote:
I mean come on, we are talking about a Senator here. Is anyone really surprised? For the most part, these men are all corrupt to the bone. Men and women like this are always the ones who seek powerful positions because they have a need to be important and they want the power to do as they please. That does not reflect of the rest of the masses, who have done nothing wrong except get swindled by a con artist striking his Jesus Christ pose.
Are you kidding? You think that because they're politicians, this kind of behavior is to be expected? So the fact that their behavior seemingly goes against some of the most basic, core values of their respective political party, and the values of their constituents who elected them to represent said core values, is no big deal because they hold powerful positions and we should expect powerful people to act this way? What hyperbolic nonsense...

Quote:
These men should be scorned and vilified by their constituents, because their actions apparently reflect directly on people with the same political affiliations that they have. They should let the world know this man does not stand for what they believe in spiritually, and that he has shamed them all.
True. They should...

Quote:
This is really just like the way Muslims have become public enemy #1 to many in this country because of the actions of a few disturbed individuals. I say few because even if there are a million ignorant militants in their ranks they are still far outranked by the true Muslim people. But because of the few, the many must suffer.
Wrong. Muslim extremists are to the entire Mulsim population, as members of the KKK (<---Christian extremists) are to the entire Christian population in America. You cannot accurately compare Muslim extremists to elected politicians in this way.

Elected politicians are chosen by the people in their respective constituencies, to represent the interests of said constituencies. In the case of the aforementioned lying, cheating Christian politicians, their largely-Christian constituencies elected them based largely on their morals and values, to reflect said constituencies' Christian morals and values in the legislature. Elected officials are in no way similar to Muslim extremists, who are not chosen by the population at large to represent the morals, values and interests of said population.

Quote:
This is what happens when labels are placed on an entire, diverse group of people. The innocent are made to suffer. We musn't use labels like these to define our nation, or we will forever be divided. By all means, confront and expose wrong doing. But make some concessions for the many who have done no wrong.
Here's the thing. If one or two morality- and family values-preaching Republican politicians were caught in compromising positions, it'd be one thing. But it seems that every week, another Christian family values Republican is being exposed for lying and/or cheating. It's impossible not to begin to question the authenticity of the much-lauded "Christian morals and family values" when week after week, the officials chosen by the people to represent said Christian morals and family values are being exposed as liars and cheaters who adhere to anything but the morals and family values they were chosen to represent.

Last edited by Politico; 08-03-2009 at 11:25 PM.. Reason: they're, their, there...

Old 08-03-2009, 11:25 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,468,431 times
When you use "family values" as a political platform, insinuiating that you adhere to a strict moral code and therefore are "more" American for doing so, you deserve to be thrown under the bus when you don't deliver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies