Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 12:05 AM
YAZ

7,701 posts, read 14,048,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
You need to read up on American history. The capitalists' "right" to move their operations anywhere they want to is a rather recent development--beginning with Reagan, and supported and intensified under Bush and Clinton.

Here's a little factoid for you: Corporations--by law--can exist only insofar as they benefit their American communities. If the Federal government deems, at any time, that an American corporation has failed to serve its community, it can walk into that corporation and shut it down. In a day. Yep. Just like that. The fact that they haven't tells you just how profound the corporate stranglehold is on our government.
so what you're saying is.....

....lobbyists control our country.

I believe that you are correct.

We're doomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 12:11 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,262,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
so what you're saying is.....

....lobbyists control our country.

I believe that you are correct.

We're doomed.
Yes, that's what I'm saying (in part).

And yes, we're doomed.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:27 AM
YAZ

7,701 posts, read 14,048,564 times
Well, then.

It's time to take back our country, eh?

Maybe it's in our best interests to get back to basics?

Carry on.....

Last edited by YAZ; 08-04-2009 at 12:28 AM.. Reason: add

Old 08-04-2009, 12:33 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,262,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Well, then.

It's time to take back our country, eh?

Maybe it's in our best interests to get back to basics?

Carry on.....
Yes, it is time to take back our country. From the oil industry, the insurance industry, the pharmaceutical industry, and Big Agribusiness. All of whom have stolen this nation from its people.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:08 AM

572 posts, read 1,867,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
You need to read up on American history. The capitalists' "right" to move their operations anywhere they want to is a rather recent development--beginning with Reagan, and supported and intensified under Bush and Clinton.

Here's a little factoid for you: Corporations--by law--can exist only insofar as they benefit their American communities. If the Federal government deems, at any time, that an American corporation has failed to serve its community, it can walk into that corporation and shut it down. In a day. Yep. Just like that. The fact that they haven't tells you just how profound the corporate stranglehold is on our government.
I took an American history class. The only thing I learned in relation to businesses is anti-trust laws, formation of unions, and worker's rights stuff.

You mean to tell me if an American firm wanted to produce a good/service in another country, they could not do that? That doesn't make any sense, unless the American government threatened to put up trade restricitons on the capitalists' products; then they would have a reason not to leave the country.

Does it have something to do with Union workers and the power they exert over the capitalists?

Old 08-04-2009, 12:02 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,240,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiggs1 View Post
I hear the phrase "American jobs" alot when people are talking about globalization. The phrase implies that we as an individual American have a legal right to the job that we are at.

You hear many Americans saying "these are our jobs that are being shipped overseas", As if we own them. This is a capitalist system that we are under; there is no ours. The only way that one should feel obligated to a job is if it were under a communist system. If Raul & Fidel Castro decide to buy Cuba's supply of textiles (clothing) from Malaysia instead of having the Cuban people make them, then the Cuban textile workers could say "the Malaysians are taking our jobs." Why? Because the Communist economic system is a collective; the people own the means of production, i.e. the Cuban people own the company, the machines, the land that they facility is on; they are obligated to the profits. The wealth of the Cuban nation belongs to all the people of Cuba.

The wealth of the United States of America belongs only to the most innovative and best capitalists, i.e. individuals. So when IBM ships more jobs to India and Americans lose the positions they once held, just remember that the Americans are working for a group of capitalists who have a right to move their operations anywhere they want to;. IBM & other capitalists have no legal or moral obligation to only provide jobs & wealth to the people of the same nationality as them.

The American who feels that his/her job belongs to him/her has only one of two options:

1) Move to India, Mexico, China, Brazil, or wherever their job goes.

2) Start a communist revolution in the United States so you as a citizen will be obligated to the job.

If you're not willing to do any of those things, then I suggest one needs to stop complaining and accept the system that one is under.
Please remember that the most innovative and best capitalists took full advantage of the expensive and advanced infrastructure and the generous tax writeoffs made possible by the TAX DOLLARS SHAKEN OUT OF the American citizens (i.e., American workers).

If they are so enamoured of the third world, they should move there and see what it's like to start a business from the ground up without any financial help or tax breaks financed by the taxes paid by the American taxpayers.

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 08-04-2009 at 12:11 PM..

Old 08-04-2009, 12:17 PM

41,478 posts, read 59,660,138 times
Corporations are organizations chartered by the state to encourage investment in ventures too risky or large for a single or small group of people to finance. As such the corporation is a creature of the state and subject to any and all restrictions the state may impose including dissolution for failure to perform according to the corporate charter. Our government does not choose to enforce its controls on corporations. Adam Smith did not trust corporations, operated by managers instead of owners, because he believed there was no greater temptation than to be able to gamble with other people’s money.

It is up to individual citizens to instruct our government to protect us from corporations that have gained monopoly control over the markets they serve or are operating in a manner damaging to the American people. This is one part of America I really want to eliminate. A truly free people are not dominated by either government or corporate finance. We are not really free.

You figure out who I am talking about.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:16 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,240,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Corporations are organizations chartered by the state to encourage investment in ventures too risky or large for a single or small group of people to finance. As such the corporation is a creature of the state and subject to any and all restrictions the state may impose including dissolution for failure to perform according to the corporate charter. Our government does not choose to enforce its controls on corporations. Adam Smith did not trust corporations, operated by managers instead of owners, because he believed there was no greater temptation than to be able to gamble with other people’s money.

It is up to individual citizens to instruct our government to protect us from corporations that have gained monopoly control over the markets they serve or are operating in a manner damaging to the American people. This is one part of America I really want to eliminate. A truly free people are not dominated by either government or corporate finance. We are not really free.

You figure out who I am talking about.
Like this:

“I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. Corporations have been enthroned, an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money-power of the country will endeavor to prolong it's reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until the wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

---Abraham Lincoln

Old 08-04-2009, 02:33 PM

572 posts, read 1,867,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Please remember that the most innovative and best capitalists took full advantage of the expensive and advanced infrastructure and the generous tax writeoffs made possible by the TAX DOLLARS SHAKEN OUT OF the American citizens (i.e., American workers).

If they are so enamoured of the third world, they should move there and see what it's like to start a business from the ground up without any financial help or tax breaks financed by the taxes paid by the American taxpayers.
This is very true. The wealthiest Americans have benefited from advanced infrastructure, a healthy workfore, and tax write offs, all at the expense of the American worker.

However, we live in a culture where none of that matters! We have an M.O.E. (Money Over Everything) culture. The middle and lower class build up the country, and the upper class is quick to be cut throat (i.e. shipping jobs) in the name of profit.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:46 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,342,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
The harsh truth is people love their $99.00 color televisions they buy at WalMart that are made in communist China.

If the color television was made in the United States it would cost $299.00.

That's harsh truth.

I don't especially like it myself but the American people chooses for it to be that way every time they make a WalMart purchase which is often.

That's harsh truth.
Absolutely 100 percent true. We couldn't afford to buy half of the things we enjoy if we didn't have a global economy.

Think of it this way. The United States has less then 5% of the worlds total population. Now, if you're a business man or woman, would you rather only deal with 5% of the world, or have the whole world to sell to. This is why free trade is a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies