Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 02:56 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
We burned ourselves with the OSHA laws, employment laws, Unions, EPA, taxes, et al.

While everyone "meant" well, the actions killed us.

I really don't think the executives in India, China, et al care about the "welfare" of their workers or the surrounding neighborhoods of factories.
Stunning!

So, is it your premise that the U.S. should have allowed the nations workforce to suffer unsafe working conditions, a polluted environment equal to China or India in order to maintain economic viability? How insane!

As for employment laws and unions, I have no idea as to what you are talking about within the current historical context.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 02:58 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
According to your logic, our bankers and our autoworkers have a "right" to a job. According to your logic, Bank of America or GM should not be able to have operations in other countries because the US Government (the people) now own those two insitutions and those are "our jobs."

Do you agree? Can we demand that those jobs be brought back to America for the people who are now unemployed?

Old 08-04-2009, 03:21 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
According to your logic, our bankers and our autoworkers have a "right" to a job. According to your logic, Bank of America or GM should not be able to have operations in other countries because the US Government (the people) now own those two insitutions and those are "our jobs."

Do you agree? Can we demand that those jobs be brought back to America for the people who are now unemployed?
Only if you want to see them go out of business, and our money just being thrown away.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:30 PM

352 posts, read 553,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiggs1 View Post
I hear the phrase "American jobs" alot when people are talking about globalization. The phrase implies that we as an individual American have a legal right to the job that we are at.

You hear many Americans saying "these are our jobs that are being shipped overseas", As if we own them. This is a capitalist system that we are under; there is no ours. The only way that one should feel obligated to a job is if it were under a communist system. If Raul & Fidel Castro decide to buy Cuba's supply of textiles (clothing) from Malaysia instead of having the Cuban people make them, then the Cuban textile workers could say "the Malaysians are taking our jobs." Why? Because the Communist economic system is a collective; the people own the means of production, i.e. the Cuban people own the company, the machines, the land that they facility is on; they are obligated to the profits. The wealth of the Cuban nation belongs to all the people of Cuba.

The wealth of the United States of America belongs only to the most innovative and best capitalists, i.e. individuals. So when IBM ships more jobs to India and Americans lose the positions they once held, just remember that the Americans are working for a group of capitalists who have a right to move their operations anywhere they want to;. IBM & other capitalists have no legal or moral obligation to only provide jobs & wealth to the people of the same nationality as them.

The American who feels that his/her job belongs to him/her has only one of two options:

1) Move to India, Mexico, China, Brazil, or wherever their job goes.

2) Start a communist revolution in the United States so you as a citizen will be obligated to the job.

If you're not willing to do any of those things, then I suggest one needs to stop complaining and accept the system that one is under.
So you are basically saying that we should just condemn the majority of American blue collar workers (and even quite a few white collar ones) to a life of destitution and poverty all because of a few corporate leaders wanting to make a quick buck?

One of the main reasons today that American jobs are being shipped overseas today is because of unfair trade practices. Yes, we get a color tv made from China at a price that is 200 dollars cheaper than an American made one; why? It is because trade agreements like NAFTA and the fact that we lack a VAT tax system that domestic products today aren't able to match their foreign counterparts. It's no wonder why corporations move their operations overseas. Basically, our own government has slit the wrist of American business.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:38 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,948,403 times
Quote:
has only one of two options
The third option is to develop useful skill sets that are in demand. Pay attention to your industry, be forward looking and prepared for whatever is over the horizon. When change comes, accept it, roll with it and adapt.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:43 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero777 View Post
So you are basically saying that we should just condemn the majority of American blue collar workers (and even quite a few white collar ones) to a life of destitution and poverty all because of a few corporate leaders wanting to make a quick buck?

One of the main reasons today that American jobs are being shipped overseas today is because of unfair trade practices. Yes, we get a color tv made from China at a price that is 200 dollars cheaper than an American made one; why? It is because trade agreements like NAFTA and the fact that we lack a VAT tax system that domestic products today aren't able to match their foreign counterparts. It's no wonder why corporations move their operations overseas. Basically, our own government has slit the wrist of American business.
Like I said, what do you think the US economy would do if we were confined to selling to only 5% of the worlds population.

Thats what you want, if we throw out our free trade agreements, we will only be selling to the US consumer. Protectionism is the wrong path to take.

The problem with the US economy is that our technological advances have stalled. We haven't stayed ahead of the curve, so we don't have jobs that can only be done in America. Assembly line work will be done by people who will take 5 dollars a day, instead of people who want 70 dollars an hour. Americans have a choice, invest in technological advances, or fall behind.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:51 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post
The third option is to develop useful skill sets that are in demand. Pay attention to your industry, be forward looking and prepared for whatever is over the horizon. When change comes, accept it, roll with it and adapt.
I couldn't agree more. Bemoaning the loss of electronic assembly, it support etc to other countries is like crying about spilt milk, those jobs aren't coming back. So, its time to think about the development of new industries.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:01 PM

352 posts, read 553,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Like I said, what do you think the US economy would do if we were confined to selling to only 5% of the worlds population.

Thats what you want, if we throw out our free trade agreements, we will only be selling to the US consumer. Protectionism is the wrong path to take.

The problem with the US economy is that our technological advances have stalled. We haven't stayed ahead of the curve, so we don't have jobs that can only be done in America. Assembly line work will be done by people who will take 5 dollars a day, instead of people who want 70 dollars an hour. Americans have a choice, invest in technological advances, or fall behind.
Like I said, the US government has slit the wrist of America. Going back to the 60s, Kennedy, in order to make sure that we beat the Russians to the moon, invested heavily into the education system in the hopes of turning out numerous engineers who could apply their skills to technological development. Since then, federal and state investment in the education system has drastically dropped, which is why we fail to "stay ahead of the curve".

I never said we should throw out trade agreements, I said we need to develop fair agreements that make domestic products more competitive in the US market and the world market. Why should countries like Germany, who has a value added tax system of 16%, be capable of heavily taxing American products so that German based products, like their cars, are far more appealing to domestic customers while America, which doesn't have a value added tax system, is able to import a foreign made car like a Mercedez or Volkswagon that will sell for a much cheaper price than any Chrysler or GM car that American automakers can develop?

What good is it for US corporations to send their jobs overseas in order that they may sell their goods back to America at a much cheaper price when there won't be many Americans left to buy their products? It's a self defeating tactic. One thing I agree with you is that we need to make efforts to develop products and provide services that only can be found in America, but I refuse to accept leaving millions of Americans without jobs so that a few greedy corporate CEOs can make a quick buck for themselves.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:17 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
I hear the phrase "American jobs" alot when people are talking about globalization. The phrase implies that we as an individual American have a legal right to the job that we are at.

You hear many Americans saying "these are our jobs that are being shipped overseas", As if we own them. This is a capitalist system that we are under; there is no ours. The only way that one should feel obligated to a job is if it were under a communist system. If Raul & Fidel Castro decide to buy Cuba's supply of textiles (clothing) from Malaysia instead of having the Cuban people make them, then the Cuban textile workers could say "the Malaysians are taking our jobs." Why? Because the Communist economic system is a collective; the people own the means of production, i.e. the Cuban people own the company, the machines, the land that they facility is on; they are obligated to the profits. The wealth of the Cuban nation belongs to all the people of Cuba.

The wealth of the United States of America belongs only to the most innovative and best capitalists, i.e. individuals. So when IBM ships more jobs to India and Americans lose the positions they once held, just remember that the Americans are working for a group of capitalists who have a right to move their operations anywhere they want to;. IBM & other capitalists have no legal or moral obligation to only provide jobs & wealth to the people of the same nationality as them.

The American who feels that his/her job belongs to him/her has only one of two options:

1) Move to India, Mexico, China, Brazil, or wherever their job goes.

2) Start a communist revolution in the United States so you as a citizen will be obligated to the job.

If you're not willing to do any of those things, then I suggest one needs to stop complaining and accept the system that one is under.
What a pathetically shallow and short sighted point of view. I'm guessing you're about 20 years old, have a well-off dad and mom, and therefore have never had a care in the world.

Clearly you have been shielded from the effects of the pillaging of this country by big corporations since the Reagan years. But your numbers are dwindling fast, and you may be closer to a dose of reality than you ever thought possible. So I'd suggest you prepare to shift gears and learn a better tune than this morally bankrupt one.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:55 PM

572 posts, read 1,870,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
What a pathetically shallow and short sighted point of view. I'm guessing you're about 20 years old, have a well-off dad and mom, and therefore have never had a care in the world.
Well, you got the 20 year old part right.

My father was murdered when I was two-years old. My mother is a black woman born the year 1950 in South Georgia. Since she was black she went to a school for black children that was literally a small shack in the woods. The school wasn't well funded by the state and the quality of education wasn't up to par due to the color of her skin. She doesn't read very well, and her math skills are sub-par. Due to this she could only find employment in a low wage agriculture job which puts us (my mother, brother, sister, & me) below the poverty line.

But I'm not complaining. If anyone should be against this U.S. type of capitalism, it's me. I'm just explaining the free market economic system as it stands in the United States. If you are not content with the system, make an effort to change it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies