Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 07:53 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,293,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero777 View Post
Like I said, the US government has slit the wrist of America. Going back to the 60s, Kennedy, in order to make sure that we beat the Russians to the moon, invested heavily into the education system in the hopes of turning out numerous engineers who could apply their skills to technological development. Since then, federal and state investment in the education system has drastically dropped, which is why we fail to "stay ahead of the curve".

I never said we should throw out trade agreements, I said we need to develop fair agreements that make domestic products more competitive in the US market and the world market. Why should countries like Germany, who has a value added tax system of 16%, be capable of heavily taxing American products so that German based products, like their cars, are far more appealing to domestic customers while America, which doesn't have a value added tax system, is able to import a foreign made car like a Mercedez or Volkswagon that will sell for a much cheaper price than any Chrysler or GM car that American automakers can develop?

What good is it for US corporations to send their jobs overseas in order that they may sell their goods back to America at a much cheaper price when there won't be many Americans left to buy their products? It's a self defeating tactic. One thing I agree with you is that we need to make efforts to develop products and provide services that only can be found in America, but I refuse to accept leaving millions of Americans without jobs so that a few greedy corporate CEOs can make a quick buck for themselves.
I know if I owned a business that was big on manufacutring, I'd try and have my items made in foreign countries.

There are people at Delphi in Detroit making 77 dollars an hour. Thats just crazy insane for assembly line work. Thats Americas problem, we got used to making to much money for brainless, unstressful work.

And before someone says that assembly line work isn't brainless, I've done assembly line work, I went to school because I didn't want to have to do that numbing work for the rest of my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 08:22 PM

352 posts, read 550,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I know if I owned a business that was big on manufacutring, I'd try and have my items made in foreign countries.

There are people at Delphi in Detroit making 77 dollars an hour. Thats just crazy insane for assembly line work. Thats Americas problem, we got used to making to much money for brainless, unstressful work.

And before someone says that assembly line work isn't brainless, I've done assembly line work, I went to school because I didn't want to have to do that numbing work for the rest of my life.
You have the unions to thank for such extravagant wages I will agree to say that working on an assembly line for such a high wage that even people with doctorates don't even make is a bit too much. Again, this would require government arbitration between the workers and the corporations. However, this doesn't bypass the fact that unfair trade practices and the inefficiency of our education system are major contributing factors to the constant flow of American jobs to foreign countries. If we want to curve the number of jobs being lost to foreing companies, then we need to revamp the trade system and try to adequately train students to become efficient, vibrant workers who are capable of providing unique services that other countries simply can't duplicate.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:42 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,851,690 times
If I can hire a developer in Bangalore at $28.00hr US and get the same or better quality deliverables you can bet I'm going to do it. In fact I have on multiple occasions. I have no problem outsourcing.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
If I can hire a developer in Bangalore at $28.00hr US and get the same or better quality deliverables you can bet I'm going to do it. In fact I have on multiple occasions. I have no problem outsourcing.
So you have no problem hurting your own people? It is amazing how we as Americans have become so greedy that we sell out our own people for the sake of a quick buck.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:07 AM

24,869 posts, read 24,293,065 times
Quote:
So you have no problem hurting your own people? It is amazing how we as Americans have become so greedy that we sell out our own people for the sake of a quick buck.
"Greed... is good" - Gordon Gecko

The rallying cry of the Republican party.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:23 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,857,015 times
Quote:
"Greed... is good" - Gordon Gecko

The rallying cry of the Republican party.
that statement is nonsense. we have republicans like pat buchanan who have opposed free trade and we have democrats like bill clinton who pass NAFTA. this is not a single party issue! we have never had free trade anyhow. what we have is manipulated trade. we have countries artificially lowering the value of their own currency to get an advantage in this so-called "free trade"market, starting with japan.

you might want to read a piece by pat buchanan in 2004, still applicable today:http://www.amconmag.com/article/2004/apr/12/00007/

Both candidates and both parties seem clueless about what is going on and what to do about it. For Bush Republicans and Kerry Democrats both backed NAFTA, GATT, the WTO, and MFN for China.

Last edited by floridasandy; 08-05-2009 at 05:51 AM..

Old 08-05-2009, 05:56 AM

18,042 posts, read 25,072,913 times
Quote:
That's why we need protectionism.
All that is needed is 1 law that says:
"Selling your products in the US is not a right, is a priviledge,
Do you want that priviledge? Here's the rules:
- 75% of your workers have to be americans and live in the United States
- Otherwise, pay a tariff (taxes) of 100% the price of your product."

What does that do?
Makes sure that any corporation that has the priviledge of selling things in the United States is hiring Americans or paying a lot of money in taxes.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:23 AM

31,387 posts, read 36,908,857 times
Quote:
You have the unions to thank for such extravagant wages
Only in America would some one describe the pay of a factory worker as being extravagant when management salaries outpace the compensation of workers at record levels unseen in any industrial country.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Only in America would some one describe the pay of a factory worker as being extravagant when management salaries outpace the compensation of workers at record levels unseen in any industrial country.
True, but most Republicans would never condone an attack on the management of major US companies, especially since many of these companies make enormous contributions to the campaigns of each member of Congress. Corporate America has the government by the throat and the only ones who feel the squeeze are the workers. Personally, I would like to see the major CEOs and managers get a rude awakening, but who can we rely on to deal with the issue you mentioned? Corrupt bureaucrats?

Old 08-05-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
That's why we need protectionism.
All that is needed is 1 law that says:
"Selling your products in the US is not a right, is a priviledge,
Do you want that priviledge? Here's the rules:
- 75% of your workers have to be americans and live in the United States
- Otherwise, pay a tariff (taxes) of 100% the price of your product."

What does that do?
Makes sure that any corporation that has the priviledge of selling things in the United States is hiring Americans or paying a lot of money in taxes.
While I agree with you that something should be done, the reality is that many of these companies would just pack their bags and move overseas to countries where there are no real restrictions on free market trade, like China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies