Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is wearing a fur coat morally the same as attending a dogfight?
Yes 16 24.24%
No 50 75.76%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 06:59 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have fur coats. I have absolutely no problem with having them .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 07:53 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,730,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Actually, animal cruelty is a human invention. I despise dog fighting but that has no bearing on morality, another human invention. Fur trapping or farming I have no issue with whatsoever.
Very little we do equals the cruelty of nature. Nature doesn't care about cruelty, it cares about survival. Fur trapping & the fur trade help people survive.
yes nature is extremely cruel but we humans are the greediest cruelest species on the palnet and maybe in the entire universe!!!!>>can you show me a link to a animal that holds it's prey for 10 years and tortures them

animals kill to survive!!!! humans kill to survive!!!!>>> but humans kill for pleasure and for material wealth. and we kill every kind of species on the entire planet.. name just one single species>> plant or animal<< that we humans do not kill in one method or another

Old 08-04-2009, 08:06 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,120 times
People don't wager on a fur coat, but they do wager on dog fights. I wouldn't doubt that some of those who wager become aroused in a perverted way as their dog tears apart another hapless dog. The men should kill each other instead by biting into one anothers' soft parts, and jugular veins. As for fur. Give me a nice angora rabbit sweater. The fur is combed from the rabbit during shedding, and the critter keeps on living. Imagine your own pets being electrocuted in front of you, and some silly person is excited that YOUR pooch or cat is going on his or her body as soon as possible. The fur industry is cruel, and unnecessary ! I see nothing wrong with using leather or fur from an animal that died of NATURAL causes.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:23 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
yes nature is extremely cruel but we humans are the greediest cruelest species on the palnet and maybe in the entire universe!!!!>>can you show me a link to a animal that holds it's prey for 10 years and tortures them

animals kill to survive!!!! humans kill to survive!!!!>>> but humans kill for pleasure and for material wealth. and we kill every kind of species on the entire planet.. name just one single species>> plant or animal<< that we humans do not kill in one method or another

Whats your point?
If other predators could raise livestock they would. Heres a fact for you, we are the ONLY predator that cares if its meat is dead or alive. As cruel as we are, just watch ONE kill by a cat, wolf, snake ect. Wolves regularly are well into their meal before the critters dead. Not much we do compares to chowing on an animals organs while its still alive, awake & fighting. Generally we do not torture our food, rather we alone on the planet are concerned with humane kills.
If you live in society you are as guilty of what you are moaning about as anybody else. Thousands if not millions of animals had to die for nothing more than you to have a place to live, now if you add in the industry needed to keep you alive it soars even higher, if you live in a city the cost to nature for your man made habitat is literally impossible to calculate.
Worrying about a few mink is rediculous.

That said theres no question in my mind that we, as a species, have become a cancer to the planet Earth. But thats nature. Anywhere on Earth that a species enjoys unlimited reproduction & limited predation its numbers increase until a catastrofic die off. We are just smart enough to see it coming, but not smart enough to do anything about it.
Fur & dog fights are sentimental things for us but do not address the issue in any meaningful way.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:30 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post

We are at the top of the food chain for a reason.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:14 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
We are at the top of the food chain for a reason.
If you ever find yourself stranded on an ice floe with a polar bear, you will come to the very quick realization that you are nowhere near the top of the food chain.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:20 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If you ever find yourself stranded on an ice floe with a polar bear, you will come to the very quick realization that you are nowhere near the top of the food chain.
Depends on the gun you are armed with, unless you've bought into the anti-gun agenda.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Depends on the gun you are armed with, unless you've bought into the anti-gun agenda.
Funny, I never thought of that. I guess I don't think of guns as being the greatest achievement in human civilization, the single thing that makes humans superior to other beasts.

Why should I be surprised that the gun nuts have hijacked this thread, too.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:55 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Funny, I never thought of that. I guess I don't think of guns as being the greatest achievement in human civilization, the single thing that makes humans superior to other beasts.

Why should I be surprised that the gun nuts have hijacked this thread, too.
Weapons, developed using our intelligence, enabled us to become the top of the food chain. Without weapons humans are weak and would not be close to the top of the food chain. Early on it was spears and archery, but we were still vulnerable to some larger animals and guns reduced that to a large degree. That was my point...

And without using furs we never would have survived where it gets cold...

Old 08-05-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Weapons, developed using our intelligence, enabled us to become the top of the food chain. Without weapons humans are weak and would not be close to the top of the food chain. Early on it was spears and archery, but we were still vulnerable to some larger animals and guns reduced that to a large degree. That was my point...

And without using furs we never would have survived where it gets cold...
Yeah. "Me Man. Me on top food chain. Me drag knuckle. Pick up biggest stick. Nothing else matter. Kill. Kill.""

You were at the top of the food chain when you were Cro Magnon, and as far as you're concerned, the only progress in human civilization has been to increase muzzle velocity . You're still Cro Magnon.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-05-2009 at 11:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies