Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 12:46 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times

Advertisements

Even though all economic indicators suggest that things beginning to improve, the right wing media seems to be ratcheting up the propagana and lies about Obama's policies (for example, completely misinterpreting a small section of the bill as "death care").

Followers are crashing town hall meetings and basically getting whipped into a frenzy like they were during the campaign when they were yelling things like "terrorist" and "kill him" at rallies before the McCain campaign stepped back on the rhetoric that was whipping people into such a frenzy.

One heavily armed woman scouted out a military base to plan a terrorist attack against it because Glenn Beck convinced her it was a FEMA camp.

I realize Clinton faced the same irrational fear before going down as one of the most successful presidents, but I'm increasingly concerned Obama won't survive long enough to reach that point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 12:53 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Definitely. I'm also concerned about Democratic Congressmen who are holding these town hall meetings on health care reform. The lynch mob has convinced themselves that they can best achieve their goals through bullying tactics and incivility. These are the folks who distrust anything the government does and who also believe that the Second Amendment exists so that they can use their guns to defend themselves from the government. I will not be surprised if we see violence.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:01 AM

539 posts, read 699,999 times
No one on the right wants to destroy the Republic. We want to save it.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:05 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
That's not an answer, LogicWings. That's a rationalization for murder in the name of what you perceive to be a greater good.

Remember - everyone - from Hitler to Ghandi - believes they are doing what is right.

Search your soul. You'll find that what Obama is doing is no different than what Democratic presidents have always done, with a significant amount of success. George Washington recognized the importance of the tension between the two sides and fostered it.

What you're witnessing is a healthy society governing itself. We're just balancing what a period of conservative rule did. No need to fear it or to be hostile. It's just the system working itself out.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:24 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Definitely. I'm also concerned about Democratic Congressmen who are holding these town hall meetings on health care reform. The lynch mob has convinced themselves that they can best achieve their goals through bullying tactics and incivility. These are the folks who distrust anything the government does and who also believe that the Second Amendment exists so that they can use their guns to defend themselves from the government. I will not be surprised if we see violence.
Ever read the Declaration of Independence?

The Declaration of Independence

If the signers were alive today they would likely have everyone in the current federal government tried for treason and hanged.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:29 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
If the signers were alive today they would likely have everyone in the current federal government tried for treason and hanged.
That's a good example of the mentality that worries me: The idea that if you disagree with government leaders, you have a right to kill them. Scary stuff.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:35 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,828,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Ever read the Declaration of Independence?

The Declaration of Independence

Yeah because we have a lot of lynch mobs running the streets hanging people nowadays.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:39 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,828,119 times
Honestly, the secret service agents are some of the best trained guards to ever live. Unless shoes are flying. Then they don't react very quickly.

Even though I didn't agree with most of what Dubya did in office I think that the rabid left was enough to concern me for his safety during his term.

We've always hate stupid naive extremists on both sides. Seems with the internet and cable news that now those people have found an outlet and it's gotten to a whole new level.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:18 AM

539 posts, read 699,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post

Lynch mob? Where was there a lynch mob?

Old 08-04-2009, 02:23 AM

37,122 posts, read 42,189,292 times
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies