Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 09:40 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
What's most hilarious to me about this is that she's been looking for a job for ... wait for it.... 3 months.

Second most hilarious part ... 2.7 gpa.

I can't imagine why they're not knocking down her door. She's truly clueless.
She is, and her life situation is so sad...this lawsuit-freakout business is just a manifestation of that sadness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 09:41 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,108,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I love when that happens I had one manager tell a girl "I know you have a piece of paper that says you're qualified to do this but I have 25 years of experience in doing it so I think I'm right"

I always loved it when each new hire with their newly minted diploma would "DISCOVER" the answer to a problem that had only been tried (and failed) 50 times before.....as though NO ONE ever thought of this before they came on board.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:47 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,108,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
there's another thread on this topic, with a link in the OP to an article in the NY Post. That article sheds more light on the story (dont worry, though, it's not sympathetic). Cant find the thread but the article's here:

JOBLESS GRAD SUES COLLEGE FOR 70G TUITION - New York Post

If you read it you might understand what I meant about "coddled".
There are some other schools like this...which I won't name for fear of being sued....that make it sound like they guarentee you a job that will make all your dreams come true....while they're taking a person's money. But the jobs they "find" for people turn out to be not in the field of study or temp jobs. It is terrible that they are allowed to get away with this. But, that said, she needs to find a good job counselor who will help her put together a good resume, volunteer anywhere she can use what she has learned, and network with anyone and everyone who is working. That is how you really get jobs more often than not.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:17 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
There are some other schools like this...which I won't name for fear of being sued....that make it sound like they guarentee you a job that will make all your dreams come true....while they're taking a person's money. But the jobs they "find" for people turn out to be not in the field of study or temp jobs. It is terrible that they are allowed to get away with this. But, that said, she needs to find a good job counselor who will help her put together a good resume, volunteer anywhere she can use what she has learned, and network with anyone and everyone who is working. That is how you really get jobs more often than not.
I think that some of the worst offenders are those automotive trade schools. And their graduates don't do any better than the people that got their foot in the door at the dealerships by starting off being the oil change guy.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:40 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
judge judy syndrome.
Now that's a scary TV show. I had no idea there were so many stupid stupid stupid people in our country and they just keep coming.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:45 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Yeah there's some like that in FLorida. Advertise 24 hours a day with this girl and her son looking all sad and poor. Then she goes to this school, gets a job yesterday and she and the kid are all happy. Moral of the commerical:this school will solve all your problems. Some people never learned that you can't believe everything you see on television.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:37 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,018,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Some people never learned that you can't believe everything you see on television.
Agree that you should not believe all you see on the tube, however companies need to be held accountable for false promises and borderline fraudulent advertising. Cases in point:

Ms. Cleo
FreeCreditReport.com
LaptopTrainingSolutions (now defunct, thank goodness)
MicroSkills (to a lesser degree. They are now defunct)

At the end of the day I believe firmly that no school should offer or even advertise "job placement assistance". It's fine to post known jobs or allow job fairs or things like that, but the school should not intervene in whether a student gets a job or not, or what job they get. Part of that is due to the risk involved in such a transaction for the school, the other part is teaching the student responsibility in going out and finding a job on their own. After all, they're going to need to know how to do that without the school. That's a more valuable skill than 3 of the 4 years of college would have taught them.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:14 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
At the end of the day I believe firmly that no school should offer or even advertise "job placement assistance". It's fine to post known jobs or allow job fairs or things like that, but the school should not intervene in whether a student gets a job or not, or what job they get. Part of that is due to the risk involved in such a transaction for the school, the other part is teaching the student responsibility in going out and finding a job on their own. After all, they're going to need to know how to do that without the school. That's a more valuable skill than 3 of the 4 years of college would have taught them.
I agree with you to a certain degree but not completely. My degree was in Communications (and then English because I realized I hated journalism and would never ever want to work in that field) and I got my first job out of school through the school’s resource center. They didn’t make any promises about jobs but they held workshops on resume writing, interviewing, etc and they hosted job fairs often. I didn’t really need the workshops but I still took advantage of all of them. I became pretty friendly with one of the counselors and one day she called me and said someone had sent a job opening to her and she thought I’d be perfect for it. She didn’t even post it on the schools website so I didn’t have any competition. So while I don’t think schools should promise job placement I don’t see anything wrong with them having a resource center. It’s all about networking anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies