Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would you like to see Obama do about marijuana.
Make it completely legal for use, growth, sale, and trade. 73 70.19%
Make it legal for use, but restrict growth and sales to government run agencies. 10 9.62%
Make it legal for medicine only, remain illegal to any not medically inclined to use it. 8 7.69%
Completely illegal, no use whatsoever! 13 12.50%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 07:00 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Yeah, I noticed that too. But for me, that vote doesn't wreak of weed smoke. That vote shows people have been educated over the years and know about the medicinal effects of marijuana, as well as the bogus campaign that was waged to make it illegal. It is far less toxic than any other drug, including alcohol and cigarettes, and doesn't leave the moderate user begging of more. We allow people to drink themselves to death, but we won't let those same people smoke a joint? Many extreme users of alcohol have told me point blank that they would either slow down or stop drinking all together if they could just smoke a joint and unwind after a day's work.

People seem to have this dreamy image of weed, like "stoners" are these out there mystical type people who don't work and sit around eating all day with no thoughts running through their brains. Sorry, but I have heard more worthwhile conversation come out of a "stoners" mouth than I have ever heard from a drunk. There is no reason that alcohol should be legal but marijuana is not. Other than the fact that marijuana is so easy to grow that the government would have a hard time regulating it so they could make a profit. Which is what they have done successfully with alcohol. So next time you go to the liquor store or convenience store to buy some beer, remember you are taking in a highly addictive substance which is "proven" to cause multiple health problems that result in death. A substance that alters your personality so greatly and dims your memory so profoundly that you may do and say things you would never say and then wake up not remembering it at all. A substance that severely inhibits your ability to function at all, leaving you dizzy and sick, unconcious on the floor next to the toilet. And remember, your government said this was OK. It's legal.

Marijuana does not do any of these things. You can smoke until you can't see through the smoke in the room and still stand up, walk outside, and enjoy the day. You will remember it too. And unlike alcohol, there are no effects to your personality other than maybe making you a bit happier and more relaxed. One of the main reasons people come home and drink a six pack. To unwind. There is no doubt about it folks, marijuana should be just as legal as alcohol. In fact, from a health and happiness point of view, alcohol should sincerely be the "illegal substance"
Hells yeah, sounds like a Saturday night at my house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 08:17 PM

455 posts, read 1,017,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Look at that. Something both people on the left and the right agree on.

Whodathunkit.

Yeah, that is because the major American news media isn't extensively covering it yet. Wait until this issue is the most prominent on their shows. You will see how the sheep will give up any sort of independent thought and start mimicking the talking points they see on Fox or MSNBC.

I promise you this will be an issue that will not be discussed in a civil manner once that happens.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:37 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,154,337 times
Looks like Patrick Swayze is using medical marijuana in his battle with cancer..

Stubble and Weight Gain Give Swayze a Healthy Glow -- Popeater

Old 08-10-2009, 12:45 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Besides collecting tax revenue, legalization of pot would be able to stimulate the snack industry.

wow as if we arent fat enough.... hmmm maybe there is a whole new line of snack foods for the future. Blind munchies, diet snacks for when you are out of control. :-)

Old 08-10-2009, 01:47 AM

539 posts, read 699,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
None of the above, I would like to see pot legalized and be allowed to grow up to 6 plants for personal use.
When you brain is no longer satisified with the 6 plants..what do you do..

Old 08-10-2009, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicWings View Post
Obviously you aren't a toker.

I can smoke on six plants everyday of the year, and still have left over. I need slightly more to make butter like I like to do, but that is safer than smoking.

Pot isn't addictive, take it from someone who knows his drugs.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:06 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
It is about the only thing I agree with Obamas views.

Because drugs are illegal, running everyones lives for them, it has made drugs just like the alcohol prohibition of the 20's and 30's gangsters and the corruption that surrounds it.

If pot were made legal. Just think of the cost associated with it being illegal, eliminated and then a source of revenue, if it were taxed, like alcohol is. A win win situation. Pot is less dangerous thean any alcohol.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:15 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,347,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicWings View Post
Dumbest comment ever.

Seriously, could you prove your ignorance any more than with this idiotic statement?

Before you try to form an opinion on something, it would help if you knew anything about it.

The average plant yields about 200 grams of pot. 6 plants would have 1200 grams, which would be 3.28 grams a day if smoked in a single year. That's a lot of marijuana for anyone to smoke, even a complete pothead without a job. That means it would take less than 9 days for someone to smoke an entire ounce. Considering that most potheads cannot smoke an ounce a month, you're really reaching here. Plus, it's 6 at a time. You smoke one, you start growing another.

That and the fact that most people wouldn't grow their own in favor of buying it at 7-11 if it were to be actually legalized.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:00 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,548,973 times
Talking YES 100% ... the gov't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Now come on folks, just "chill out" a minute before you go on the attack. This isn't an Obama attack thread. This is a thread about Obama and his stance and comical statements about marijuana. Now we all know our fresh, young president used marijuana in the past. In fact, he actually had the guts to admit he inhaled unlike his political collegue Bill Clinton. He seems like a man of the times when talking about marijuana, a man who actually realizes it isn't a dangerous substance.

He also made it clear why he wouldn't want to see marijuana completely legalized. And that reason is one we are all very familiar with. Problems with regulation. I believe he is a man caught between a rock and a hard place on this issue, plainly seeing the possible values of marijuana but not wanting to appear "soft" on drugs. Like when he states he did use marijuana, but he isn't "proud" of it. I say "come on Mr. President, you have nothing to be ashamed of"

So come one, come all, and share with us your feelings about marijuana and Obama's stance on the substance. Do you think he should demonize the substance more, or would you like to see Obama take some steps to "decriminalize" the substance as he said in this first clip. Keep in mind, he never said "legalize it!" which is sort of a drag for me But he does seem to have a progressive view on this substance that has been demonized since the 1930's by politicians and lobbyists who simply didn't want to compete with the amazing cannabis plant. All views are of course welcome, whether pro or con, but keep it respectful. Now, let's get down to business and stop blowing "smoke"

YouTube - Barack Obama on Marijuana Decriminalization (2004)

YouTube - Barack Obama and Medical Marijuana (interview Q&A)

YouTube - Barack Obama Yes I inhaled
should put it to the vote.

then the challenge is to get the voters off their butts, away from the tv & 'puter to take action on their beliefs.

Kate

Old 09-01-2009, 01:15 PM

1st Timothy 4

4For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, 5because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies