Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2009, 11:21 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Let's put it this way: My health insurance company has NEVER denied paying a treatment ordered by my physican. NEVER.
That situation generally never happens until you are REALLY SICK.
Unless you've been REALLY SICK you have no idea how your insurance company will react. Sadly many American are finding that their insurance is not really delivering when it really counts.

Medical costs are the single largest reason for personal bankruptcies in this country - and roughly HALF of those folks HAD medical insurance (at least at the onset of their illness). The biggest problem with the current system is that because medical coverage is tied to most peoples' jobs - when they get really sick not only do their lose their income but they also lose their medical coverage. COBRA is of course available for a while but even so for people who've lost their income it's very hard to afford - and once the COBRA time is exhausted it's almost impossible for them to get other coverage.

Young healthy folks can easily afford to buy medical insurance on their own, but for someone old and/or sick who's lost their job and has a much reduced income it's a MUCH TOUGHER situation. That's why so many are reduced to bankruptcy.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 11:25 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
That situation generally never happens until you are REALLY SICK.

Unless you've been REALLY SICK you have no idea how your insurance company will react. Sadly many American are finding that their insurance is not really delivering when it really counts.
Ken - I understand what you are saying - I'm NOT "young" and, I have been really, REALLY sick - REALLY

Old 08-22-2009, 11:26 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
Why does America pay a middleman (insurance companies) and stock holders for medical care? This is as absurd as if we paid a middleman and stock holders for our children's education. No wonder America has the highest per capita cost for medical care than any other country! And that is with almost one sixth of our population without health insurance coverage!
Quote:
More is spent on health care in the United States on a per capita basis than in any other nation in the world.
Health care in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Imagine how much more actual medical care our money would buy if every dollar went to medical care.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:27 PM

There is not going to be a "public option" - no UHC program

Old 08-22-2009, 11:33 PM

Quote:
There is not going to be a "public option" - no UHC program
Obama Maintains Public Option is Viable for Health Care Reform - Political News - FOXNews.com (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/08/20/obama-takes-health-care-push-conservative-radio/ - broken link)

McAuliffe Comes Out Swinging: Without Public Option, Health Care A "Failure"

It is not over yet. I don't recall a senate vote on this. Did I miss something? Or are you in charge of this?

Old 08-22-2009, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Obama Maintains Public Option is Viable for Health Care Reform - Political News - FOXNews.com (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/08/20/obama-takes-health-care-push-conservative-radio/ - broken link)

McAuliffe Comes Out Swinging: Without Public Option, Health Care A "Failure"

It is not over yet. I don't recall a senate vote on this. Did I miss something? Or are you in charge of this?
The public opposes them

There is not the votes in the Senate

McAuliffe is not voting on anything - his job is to "spin"

Obama has admitted it not going to happen\

Old 08-22-2009, 11:39 PM

YouTube - Howard Dean: Public Option is Key to Healthcare Reform

Old 08-22-2009, 11:39 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times
Quote:
Ken - I understand what you are saying - I'm NOT "young" and, I have been really, REALLY sick - REALLY
Well, I'm glad your insurance company did good by you - sadly for way too many Americans that is not the case.

Tell me, is your insurance tied to you job the way it is for so many Americans (roughly half)? If so, did you become sick enough to no longer be able to work?

Ken

Old 08-22-2009, 11:40 PM

Does Dean hold office?

Old 08-22-2009, 11:41 PM

Quote:
The public opposes them

There is not the votes in the Senate

McAuliffe is not voting on anything - his job is to "spin"

Obama has admitted it not going to happen\
Show me a link dated after the one I gave, which demonstrates that Obama no longer supports a public option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies