Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2009, 09:36 PM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times

Advertisements

Alright, kids, I think that 15 1/2 hours in front of the computer is enough for one day. I didn't even get any of the day's invoicing done! See what you all do?!

I know it's a hot-potato topic, but I've been trying to keep it mellow, with varying levels of success... It's been a pretty good debate overall, though, and I hope it continues to be as good tomorrow.

I was going to hold off on purchasing a policy for at least a couple of months - maybe until Spring (winter is our slow season) - but y'all have me curious to find out exactly what we'd be looking at paying. I'll probably give Aetna a call tomorrow and see if I can nail down a price. I'll keep you posted.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 09:36 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,398,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Unless you are in a group, private insurers do not take smokers. I'm thinking you would be eligible for a high risk pool. You may also want to shop for supplemental insurance.
I personally don't smoke and dont want to dictate who can or cant. If education can convince more not to smoke thats a good use of health care dollars. I believe in education. The reason private insurers dont take smokers is that it is a proven risk. For profit insurance cos will not diminish profits in the interest of humanity. That is the true reason profit motive must be stricken from the total health care scenario. If you smoke...you still need medical care. Might even be things unrelated to your addiction. Everyone should be in the pool.
And ...anytime we have drug cos advertising directly to consumers, we all should say WTF? "ethical" drugs...yeh right!

Old 08-04-2009, 09:40 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Why should I pay for your war?
Obama claimed the war we have right now when he started sending more and more troops there. It is his war now so lets not blame it all on Bush.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:42 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
This was my first look at insurance in just over a year, and all I did was go to ehealthinsurance.com and follow the prompts. They may/probably will recommend different plans/companies, but FWIW, this quote was from "United Health One". I don't know anything about this company, so I may not end up with them - I have to do some homework first. There were similar plans from Aetna and other, more well-known insurers,
Well known to whom? United Health Care is the largest health insurance company in the United States.

Largest is United Health Care followed by Wellpoint (part of BC/BS) Aetna, Humana, Cigna

Oh, by the way...the goal of every insurance company is to turn a profit. That's why the average annual income of a CEO is $14 million.

Just want to add that, when I was at the post office, I saw a sign for a cookout to raise money for a local family with a sick child to help with medical bills. So, do you think they're scamming people and the post office is allowing them to do this? A woman is in an induced coma because she has swine flu and the local news tonight displayed a telephone number & address for donations. Why would they do this if health care isn't a problem or "crisis" as you wrote?

I edited my post because I don't want to sound nasty, but you must not pay attention to national news if you're not familiar with United Health Care.

Last edited by justNancy; 08-04-2009 at 10:03 PM..

Old 08-04-2009, 09:45 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Quote:
Alright, kids, I think that 15 1/2 hours in front of the computer is enough for one day. I didn't even get any of the day's invoicing done! See what you all do?!

I know it's a hot-potato topic, but I've been trying to keep it mellow, with varying levels of success... It's been a pretty good debate overall, though, and I hope it continues to be as good tomorrow.

I was going to hold off on purchasing a policy for at least a couple of months - maybe until Spring (winter is our slow season) - but y'all have me curious to find out exactly what we'd be looking at paying. I'll probably give Aetna a call tomorrow and see if I can nail down a price. I'll keep you posted.....
I think that is a good idea.

BTW, this has been a good thread with a lot of people talking about the health care system being broken and none of them mentioning the fact that the bill in the House has been misnamed. It is really a health insurance bill not a healthcare one. The purpose is to use public option to break the insurance companies and then the government (the Democrats) will have control of all healthcare in the nation and the government will be the big daddy or Big Brother for all of us. Socialized medicine won't be liked by most of them as much as what we have now, if they are in the group that has insurance.

Good thread and you said too much that too many just didn't want to hear.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:52 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I think that is a good idea.

BTW, this has been a good thread with a lot of people talking about the health care system being broken and none of them mentioning the fact that the bill in the House has been misnamed. It is really a health insurance bill not a healthcare one. The purpose is to use public option to break the insurance companies and then the government (the Democrats) will have control of all healthcare in the nation and the government will be the big daddy or Big Brother for all of us. Socialized medicine won't be liked by most of them as much as what we have now, if they are in the group that has insurance.

Good thread and you said too much that too many just didn't want to hear.
Too bad you had to attempt to end a decent debate on a lie.

Can you be intellectually honest for one minute!!

Quote:
Socialized medicine

Old 08-04-2009, 09:56 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,398,573 times
Good ...bring it on. (wishful thinkin' tho) Rid the US of the health ins industry! Just what many have been waiting to hear. Bad news, wont happen. Way to much money buying votes and ads to get the uninformed to vote against their interests.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Just FYI - I used that site when I needed ins and was temping, and my actual policy would have been over $200 more a month than what they quoted me.

But I ran it through the site anyway, and for myself and spouse (both 30), I got:

$340 Hospital Only
$1,179 for a PPO plan
$865 for a HMO type plan with a $2k deductible
$967 for a HMO type plan with a $2k deductible
$2,220 for a HMO type plan with $0 deductible

Well over $800/mo for any type of normal plan.
Thank you for posting this. Now imagine what someone my age (58) with a pre-existing health condition would pay for decent coverage. The premiums change dramatically with age.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
You know, Nancy, I was going to respond to your questions and other points, but this statement earned you a drop down to rung zero on the respect ladder. You don't deserve a response.
Thought about that after posting. I was talking about the quote. No family, especially with 2 smokers & 2 teenagers, would be able to get health insurance (except the bare minimum) for the price you mentioned. I assume your heights & weights are standard, since insurance companies use tables.

Quote:
Thanks for the input, Nancy, but no thanks. You can take your opinion and .......
Not an opinion....fact. I can't of course get specific, but I've sat next to grown men who began to cry because they couldn't pay medical bills to save a loved one. The #1 reason people claim bankruptcy is due to illness.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:55 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,848,653 times
Funny that the OP accused me of being a good little liberal, but failed to mention that he DOES NOT HAVE ANYTHING THAT SAYS HE CAN ACTUALLY BUY that insurance for that price. He accused me of saying it must be a scam because it doesn't fit my mindset and (I guess) what Obama programmed me to think.

However, on about page 10 or so he finally admitted that he doesn't have any kind of binder, and he seemed to disappear as soon as someone went onto the site and put in the numbers.

Why would the OP think any company is going to quote him on any product or service without knowing (1) where he is, (2) what his history is and (3) how many people it's going to be on the hook for?

The answer is that he wasn't "quoted" a rate, he got a computer generated number, that's all.

As another poster wrote, "the OP found a cheapie rate, therefor there is no problem".

golfgod
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies