Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 02:14 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,239,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
The people are trying to get across the message to their rep that if he signs the bill without reading it or debating it, then they will vote him out. The guy gets up there and starts to tell them why they are going to pass the bill. Not a good move for the rep. People get mad----they know their are not being represented.
Exactly. And when people are calling their reps, the staffers are saying that their rep will vote for it regardless. In fact, often when you call the office, many times the staffers will debate you and try to talk you out of your point of view. It's as though these guys have already made up their minds and the town halls are more of a monologue, and that's not flyin well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 02:19 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,859,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Exactly. And when people are calling their reps, the staffers are saying that their rep will vote for it regardless. In fact, often when you call the office, many times the staffers will debate you and try to talk you out of your point of view. It's as though these guys have already made up their minds and the town halls are more of a monologue, and that's not flyin well.
It flies like a monologue because you have two sides that HAVE already made up their minds. The town meetings aren't about those two sides, they're for the people who haven't made up their minds. All the confrontations are doing is making the two sides more deeply entrenched in their positions, while the undecided are being pushed aside.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:41 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,148,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I agree. I also would add that this is not necessarily a partisan split - people are angry about the laissez-faire attitude all of our politicians have taken regarding their constituents. I think that more and more people are realizing that politicians first loyalties are to themselves (and those that are in that select club), their party, their donors and then maybe their country and the people that they were suppossed to represent.

Where is Mr. Smith when we need him?
You hit the nail on the head. We can all be Lib or Cons, Dem or Rep. and it doesn't really matter. The sooner all of us (the people) realize that these politicians are dividing and manipulating us, the sooner we can fix what is REALLY wrong.

To fight each other with all this BS info, twisted facts, and out of context quotes (and lets face it, both sides do it) only plays into the hands of the politicians.

Get special interest out of the drivers seat, and I'm willing to comprimise and accept a few things that I otherwise might not accept...

The real lemmings are all of "the people" who keep falling for this "us vs. them" distraction tactic, while we're all taking it up the [self-censored: where the sun don't shine] from politicians of BOTH major parties

Old 08-07-2009, 02:41 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
Agree with both of the posters above me. The decison has been made. This show of transparency through town hall meetings is backfiring.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:19 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,859,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Nope, they wait till he starts lying, THEN they start protesting and yelling at him.

(Patiently waiting for leftist to exhaust his store of distortions and fabricated "problems")
What's interesting about your responses is you use snide remarks instead of substantive responses to my posts. I try to give you thoughtful answers, but it's like when you are reading my posts you're only thinking about what clever remark you can make back to me, rather than actually responding to my statements. I would really appreciate you being more constructive, rather than divisive.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:26 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,916,593 times
funny how all the old people are on medicare themselves and the veterans.. well they're on government healthcare too...

Old 08-07-2009, 03:41 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,024,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
funny how all the old people are on medicare themselves and the veterans.. well they're on government healthcare too...
not all but those i know who are say it sux.most docs won't even see them as the reimbursement is so low ot's a joke.our healthcare needs reform badly.tort reform would be a good start but most who represent us are scared s--t of the trial lawyers. free care to illigals would be #2 but our reps don't want to loose the hispanic vote. our reps are a bunch of spineless chickens. hope they all get voted out in 2010 and 2012

Old 10-22-2018, 10:37 AM

18,715 posts, read 7,593,506 times
A timely thread.... even if it's from 2009.

Apparently some things never change. Especially with Democrats.

Old 10-22-2018, 03:24 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,520,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
not by the Right, but by the Left. Everything they accuse the republicans of doing, they themselves are guilty of.

YouTube - Minutemen Protest Storming At Columbia University

YouTube - Tancredo at UNC

YouTube - Olympia port protesters stop military-cargo truck (11/13/07)

YouTube - ACORN Breaks Into Baltimore Homes WJZ.com

YouTube - Chased out of the Castro District - 11-14-08

YouTube - Palm Springs Cross Stomping

But of course, the Left's causes are legitimate and worthy.

Let us NOT forget all the committee hearings interrupted by left-wing nuts during the Bush Admin.

Let us NOT forget the anti-war protests of the Left-wing hate groups.

What could be more worthy and patriotic than trying to stop a runaway federal government?

There are plenty more where those came from.
wow, sanrene was on it back in 2009.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 10-22-2018 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: off topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies