Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 10:05 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,277,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Ohhh....so we agree that those attending these HC TH's are exercising their right to free speech?
Yes, indeed they are. The fact that they're morons, led by their corporate overseers ensconced in the GOP, however, reveals their so-called "protest" to be laughable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 10:11 PM

507 posts, read 678,506 times
Quote:
Funny how free speech is only for those leftists and their "worthy" causes. Everybody else...must be shut down if the Left does not agree with you.
I've been trying to avoid these threads, but really that is starting to get ridiculous. In my opinion, those tea baggers or whatever, have every right to go out an protest until they are blue in the face. Similarly, I have every right to ignore them (which I did). I may not support their cause, but I do support their right to free speech. However, I don't have to listen to their speech. See everyone wins!

Old 08-04-2009, 10:12 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Quote:
led by their corporate overseers ensconced in the GOP
Again, where is your purported evidence?

Just ask yourself a question and try to be honest. Can you not see how many, many people are upset and angry with a government totally out of control spending itself into oblivion? The $800 billion stimulus has not done what was predicted by obama, his budget debt/deficit are on an unsustainable path to ruin, and now he wants completely overhaul a HC system that 85% are satisfied with.

Why not just focus on the actual problems, like insuring those without, tort reform, cost controls and portability?

Old 08-04-2009, 10:26 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Those listed all love life, freedom and civil liberties. All who accuse them of being "hate groups" are in favor of war and are in favor of loss of civil liberties, and if fascism ever becomes government in America, these same people will be their loudest supporters.

Right wing extremism is all about loss of personal freedoms and individual liberty while advocating war and torture, the same as practiced by the neconservative Republicans
Herein lies the problem. In black and white and in plain English, you have summed it all up. There really is a sociopathic quality to the nature of the right wing thought process. Without these people, the indifferent, cold, self-serving, malicious part of the population, the world would undoubtedly be a much kinder and more sane place to dwell. There is a lack of empathy which becomes so evident in every issue that they go against. Shooting wolves from planes is okay. Allowing a large part of the population go without proper health care is okay. Sending people off to fight and die in a bogus war is okay. Denying the ill affect that man is having on the environment is okay. What in hell do these people stand for that has any ring of humanity to it?

Old 08-04-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Again, where is your purported evidence?

Just ask yourself a question and try to be honest. Can you not see how many, many people are upset and angry with a government totally out of control spending itself into oblivion? The $800 billion stimulus has not done what was predicted by obama, his budget debt/deficit are on an unsustainable path to ruin, and now he wants completely overhaul a HC system that 85% are satisfied with.

Why not just focus on the actual problems, like insuring those without, tort reform, cost controls and portability?
And, again, sanrene: I'm not falling for that trap of providing "evidence" you repeatedly ask for. I have spent far too much time in the past on this forum, providing you with requested "evidence," only to have you ignore it and disappear.

I'm very "honest" with myself: Do you not understand that these "many, many people" constitute a very distinct minority of right-wing extremists? I'm sorry to break it to you, but that's simply the truth. Many people are concerned about the spending, worried about the future--but they tend to be thoughtful people, given to considering the issues as impartially as possible. But the screaming, FOX followers are a distinct minority. Thank God. And this stuff about "totally out of control" government is ridiculous. Nothing more nor less than political fear-baiting--which the GOP is BRILLIANT at.

Where were you during the Bush years, sanrene--when things really, really WERE "out of control"? Where were your concerns at that time?

Old 08-04-2009, 10:35 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Herein lies the problem. In black and white and in plain English, you have summed it all up. There really is a sociopathic quality to the nature of the right wing thought process. Without these people, the indifferent, cold, self-serving, malicious part of the population, the world would undoubtedly be a much kinder and more sane place to dwell. There is a lack of empathy which becomes so evident in every issue that they go against. Shooting wolves from planes is okay. Allowing a large part of the population go without proper health care is okay. Sending people off to fight and die in a bogus war is okay. Denying the ill affect that man is having on the environment is okay. What in hell do these people stand for that has any ring of humanity to it?

It truly is a study in human psychology, isn't it?

I sometimes think these people really dont understand what they are supporting, they are fighting for greater corporate profits from a system that is rigged to bankrupt millions and withhold care from millions more as it rakes in obscene profits. The AMA has spent 1.4 million a day to oppose changing the current system of private healthcare that makes these people uber wealthy

And that is just healthcare. What they think about the invasion of Iraq is similarly astounding, they argue in favor of war profiteers like Haliburton and the private industry waiting to privatize Iraq's oil while ignoring the many lies that led to war in the first place, and the incredible loss of innocent life.

I'm as baffled by that kind of psychology as you are.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Good post. Thanks.

They stand for themselves. They stand for myths and lies about what America is "supposed" to be, and about who is deserving and who is not, based on some arbitrary barometer of worthiness (usually benefitting themselves, of course).

Not too surprising, I guess, since many of them have profited quite nicely from the Reagan/Bush era of "me, mine, and nobody else."

The poor or middle class who behave like this, however--I'm guessing it's a variable combination of ignorance, indignance at the loss of "their" version of America, susceptibility to GOP and right-wing media fear-mongering, racism, etc. Same old.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:39 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
And, again, sanrene: I'm not falling for that trap of providing "evidence" you repeatedly ask for. I have spent far too much time in the past on this forum, providing you with requested "evidence," only to have you ignore it and disappear.

I'm very "honest" with myself: Do you not understand that these "many, many people" constitute a very distinct minority of right-wing extremists? I'm sorry to break it to you, but that's simply the truth. Many people are concerned about the spending, worried about the future--but they tend to be thoughtful people, given to considering the issues as impartially as possible. But the screaming, FOX followers are a distinct minority. Thank God. And this stuff about "totally out of control" government is ridiculous. Nothing more nor less than political fear-baiting--which the GOP is BRILLIANT at.

Where were you during the Bush years, sanrene--when things really, really WERE "out of control"? Where were your concerns at that time?
These people attacked the critics of the neocons during the Bush years, they were told repeatedly by the rightwing propagandists that the Democrats were their enemy, and most believed them, right along with all those claims of Weapons of Mass Destruction that Americans were told DAILY for OVER a year to be extremely afraid of.

Liars and war criminals, the whole lot.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:43 PM

539 posts, read 700,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Good post. Thanks.

They stand for themselves. They stand for myths and lies about what America is "supposed" to be, and about who is deserving and who is not, based on some arbitrary barometer of worthiness (usually benefitting themselves, of course).

Not too surprising, I guess, since many of them have profited quite nicely from the Reagan/Bush era of "me, mine, and nobody else."

The poor or middle class who behave like this, however--I'm guessing it's a variable combination of ignorance, indignance at the loss of "their" version of America, susceptibility to GOP and right-wing media fear-mongering, racism, etc. Same old.

Do you want Civil War?

Old 08-04-2009, 10:47 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
These people attacked the critics of the neocons during the Bush years, they were told repeatedly by the rightwing propagandists that the Democrats were their enemy, and most believed them, right along with all those claims of Weapons of Mass Destruction that Americans were told DAILY for OVER a year to be extremely afraid of.

Liars and war criminals, the whole lot.
Yes, and who will ever forget the color coded terrorist threats? Thinkig back on those now makes me shake my head with the insanity of it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies