Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2009, 12:36 AM

2,661 posts, read 2,894,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
What's one of the important things parents try to teach their children, don't be a tattle-tale. What happens to people who are incarcerated that are tattle-tales? No one trusts anything around a tongue-wagging tattle-tale and the only leaders that have encouraged that activity have been dictators Joseph Stalin, Adolph Hitler, Mao Tse-Tung and the rest of the list:

History's worst dictators

What do we have in the white house?
Lol, you guys are really trying to push the casual-conversation in that sentence. Hilarious that you have some persecution complex.

You don't read - you imagine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 12:39 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,686,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareb View Post
Well, I understand what is being asked by the administration. Sure there are false statements as well as true statements out there about health care reform....the problem is...why should anyone in the public need to report to the government what those false statements are?? Does the administration not have access to the internet to see what is being posted?? Do they not watch the talking heads on TV? Listen to conservative radio?? Why do I need to tell them what they could and obviously should know for themselves? Something isnt right about this!
Thank you...

I'm not a conspiracy nutter, fearing the smite of Big Brother...but something IS wrong with this request.

C'mon people...they already KNOW what the rumors are...it is some intern's job to scour the internet...
why would the White House want to be inundated with flaky emails?

And the complacency...I didn't like it then and I don't like it now. More than anything else, that does bother me.

Maybe this is just a fluff job to make loyal citizens feel more empowered, part of the team.

About knowing the who and where...isn't there technology advanced enough to 'read' forwarded emails even with senders deleted...it's coded. If we delete emails or sites from our PCs, the mail can still be located in the system by the most competent technician...so not much of a stretch to think origin could be tracked by the request for such information.

I'm not freaking, but it doesn't sit well, either. Just seems unnecessary and something other than what we'd like to call it.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:55 AM

3,301 posts, read 6,308,213 times
This letter is right from the senator's official website
.: United States Senator John Cornyn, Texas :: For The Press :. (http://cornyn.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=ForPress.NewsReleases&Content Record_id=ebc2c77d-802a-23ad-4ae4-6ccf4c7a255c - broken link)

Sen. Cornyn Calls On White House To Immediately Stop Compiling Political Enemies List
Sends letter to President Obama expressing grave concern over new White House program to monitor speech of American citizens’ with opposing political views

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

In a letter to President Obama, U.S. Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, expressed serious concern about the White House's new program requesting Americans to forward email chains and other communications opposing the President's health care policies. Sen. Cornyn is seeking assurances that the program is being carried out in a manner consistent with the First Amendment and America's tradition of free speech and public discourse.
Sen. Cornyn's letter also inquires about the collection of names, email addresses, IP addresses, and private speech of U.S. citizens that will be reported, which raises the specter of a data collection program.

"I am not aware of any precedent for a President asking American citizens to report their fellow citizens to the White House for pure political speech that is deemed ‘fishy' or otherwise inimical to the White House's political interests," Sen. Cornyn wrote. "You should not be surprised that these actions taken by your White House staff raise the specter of a data collection program. As Congress debates health care reform and other critical policy matters, citizen engagement must not be chilled by fear of government monitoring the exercise of free speech rights."

--The full text of Sen. Cornyn's letter is below--

Dear President Obama,

I write to express my concern about a new White House program to monitor American citizens' speech opposing your health care policies, and to seek your assurances that this program is being carried out in a manner consistent with the First Amendment and America's tradition of free speech and public discourse.

Yesterday, in an official White House release entitled "Facts are Stubborn Things," the White House Director of New Media, Macon Phillips, asserted that there was "a lot of disinformation out there," and encouraged citizens to report "fishy" speech opposing your health care policies to the White House. Phillips specifically targeted private, unpublished, even casual speech, writing that "rumors often travel just below the surface via chain emails or through casual conversation." Phillips wrote "If you get an email or see something on the web about health insurance reform that seems fishy, send it to flag@whitehouse.gov."

I am not aware of any precedent for a President asking American citizens to report their fellow citizens to the White House for pure political speech that is deemed "fishy" or otherwise inimical to the White House's political interests.

By requesting that citizens send "fishy" emails to the White House, it is inevitable that the names, email addresses, IP addresses, and private speech of U.S. citizens will be reported to the White House. You should not be surprised that these actions taken by your White House staff raise the specter of a data collection program. As Congress debates health care reform and other critical policy matters, citizen engagement must not be chilled by fear of government monitoring the exercise of free speech rights.

I can only imagine the level of justifiable outrage had your predecessor asked Americans to forward emails critical of his policies to the White House. I suspect that you would have been leading the charge in condemning such a program-and I would have been at your side denouncing such heavy-handed government action.

So I urge you to cease this program immediately. At the very least, I request that you detail to Congress and the public the protocols that your White House is following to purge the names, email addresses, IP addresses, and identities of citizens who are reported to have engaged in "fishy" speech. And I respectfully request an answer to the following:

How do you intend to use the names, email addresses, IP addresses, and identities of citizens who are reported to have engaged in "fishy" speech?
How do you intend to notify citizens who have been reported for "fishy" speech?
What action do you intend to take against citizens who have been reported for engaging in "fishy" speech?
Do your own past statements qualify as "disinformation"? For example, is it "disinformation" to note that in 2003 you said:"I happen to be a proponent of a single-payer universal health care plan"?
I look forward to your prompt response.

Sincerely,

JOHN CORNYN

United States Senator

Sen. Cornyn serves on the Finance, Judiciary, Agriculture and Budget Committees. He serves as the top Republican on the Judiciary Committee's Immigration, Refugees and Border Security subcommittee. He served previously as Texas Attorney General, Texas Supreme Court Justice, and Bexar County District Judge.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:01 AM

2,661 posts, read 2,894,718 times
Brand spanking new conspiracy theory!
Needed a new one, since birther's have been getting spanked left and right.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:08 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,750,669 times
I just reported President Obama through this link. I guess I should report some of the dems in congress as well.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:12 AM

3,689 posts, read 10,386,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Yep. And fewer self-identified Republicans every day.
this is larger than the pissing contest going on between the democrats and republicans. Neither party is doign the work of the people any more, they are promting thier own self interests.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:23 AM

3,301 posts, read 6,308,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
Brand spanking new conspiracy theory!
Needed a new one, since birther's have been getting spanked left and right.
Check the White House website.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:25 AM

539 posts, read 698,579 times

Last edited by LogicWings; 08-06-2009 at 01:26 AM.. Reason: error

Old 08-06-2009, 01:26 AM

539 posts, read 698,579 times

Old 08-06-2009, 01:29 AM

37,048 posts, read 41,988,658 times
Retarded logicwings. Very much so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies