Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 08:09 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,018,106 times

Advertisements

Obama's been officially in office...what...6-7 months out of a 4 year term?

Yet all I hear, even on TV and entertainment shows is "Obama failed". I wasn't aware it was possible to fail before you even started, or that your failure can be rated when you're not done. That's like watching an Olympic swimming track and right when they jump in the water, say Phelps or whatever that one guy is, failed. Right after he jumped in and nowhere near the finish line. It's stupid.

Now, I don't necessarily agree with every policy that has been enacted, or how it has. I also note certain things that were different from when he was campaigning, but every President has told fibs...it's how these things roll. Even if Ron Paul got elected by some minor miracle it'd be the same thing. A lot of what Obama's administration is putting in place happen to be good, they just have negative ramifications that are not being considered (or are being disregarded wholeheartedly in favor of the 'greater good').

So...my question for you is this. Can you explain to me, respectfully to both me and the President, how exactly he has "failed" this early in the game? Meaning...what has you convinced that things won't improve in the next 3 and a half years?

Note: Any activity that every previous President has done, is not a valid response to the question. "He increased the deficit!!" for example, is not valid because the last 5 Presidents have all done the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 08:35 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
I agree with Hillary.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:39 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miserableLiberal View Post
I assume that's Difranco ?
LOL. Actually, been a nickname long b/f I knew about DiFranco, but I am a fan.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:44 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,476,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I agree with Hillary.
How does that answer the Op's question?

Old 08-05-2009, 08:45 AM

769 posts, read 887,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
So...my question for you is this. Can you explain to me, respectfully to both me and the President, how exactly he has "failed" this early in the game? Meaning...what has you convinced that things won't improve in the next 3 and a half years?

I have been saying, as well as a lot of people I talk to in my political circles, that I do not like the way this Administration wants to fix issues. I don't believe large government or federal solutions are the answer as well as deficit spending. These are the solutions that are going to be put forward by this Administration. So although I think he is doing a bad job as President (so would anyone else at this point), he hasn't failed, not yet. By the time this term is up, no one will remember what he said on the Gates incident.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:45 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
You totally missed the OP's point and did not enen come remotely close to answering the OP's question.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterK View Post
I have been saying, as well as a lot of people I talk to in my political circles, that I do not like the way this Administration wants to fix issues. I don't believe large government or federal solutions are the answer as well as deficit spending. These are the solutions that are going to be put forward by this Administration. So although I think he is doing a bad job as President (so would anyone else at this point), he hasn't failed, not yet. By the time this term is up, no one will remember what he said on the Gates incident.
In your opinion what constitutes a "good job"?

Mind you, I'm not trying to sway you. But my opinion is this: I know a lot of people think he's doing a bad job, and even more seem to think he somehow "failed", but isn't the idea of a good job vs. a bad job rather subjective? You can disagree with the choices he's made, of course. But what makes it a "bad" job? That we don't like those choices? To me that's more an issue of his political alignments than his presidential term. He's not the one making this stuff up as he goes, the Senate and the House are pushing it through. Yes, he's signing off on it, I know. But he's following the people underneath him and trusting their judgment.

To me the problem is the government as a whole. Labeling Obama as a fraud (not you, just saying), a failure, and doing a bad job is rather unfair.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:25 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Quote:
I wasn't aware it was possible to fail before you even started
The stimulus is an abject failure, by any measure. It has not done what they claimed it would do. Almost a trillion dollars going to pet projects of the dems/libs.

Many at the time said as much, it was not really a stimulus and it would not work as structured.

They said it would keep UE below 8%, they said it would create immediate jobs and provide a jolt to the economy.

The numbers he used to sell this crap sandwich were deemed too optimistic by many, including the CBO. We will see just how wrong they were when obama releases his budget update in August.

His budget ($4 trillion) will create massive deficits $9 trillion by 2019 and he will double the debt.

He has embraced our murderous, dictatorial enemies - Chavez, Ahmedinejad, Castro, Ortega, Noriaga while shunning our democratic allies.

With his massive spending, there is NO WAY he will NOT refrain from raising taxes on the middle class.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
The stimulus is an abject failure, by any measure. It has not done what they claimed it would do. Almost a trillion dollars going to pet projects of the dems/libs.

Many at the time said as much, it was not really a stimulus and it would not work as structured.

They said it would keep UE below 8%, they said it would create immediate jobs and provide a jolt to the economy.

The numbers he used to sell this crap sandwich were deemed too optimistic by many, including the CBO. We will see just how wrong they were when obama releases his budget update in August.

His budget ($4 trillion) will create massive deficits $9 trillion by 2019 and he will double the debt.

He has embraced our murderous, dictatorial enemies - Chavez, Ahmedinejad, Castro, Ortega, Noriaga while shunning our democratic allies.
Stimulus a failure? Fine. Even if I grant you that, it doesn't mean he has failed. His term's not done yet; how can you fail a race that just started?

All of the other stuff you mentioned, I won't get into. But even if I grant them all, again, he's less than a year in. I get it, you disagree with what he's done. But how does that make him a failure when his term isn't done yet?

Old 08-05-2009, 07:29 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Look at Carter - redux.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies