Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 06:44 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverestClimb View Post
What were the polling results or public vote? I don't live in CA but I did hear something about the LDS being involved
I've no idea what the polling results were. To be honest gay marriage has never been something I had a stake in one way or the other. I was ok when a judge made it legal, because it doesn't effect me, and couldn't understand the violent reaction and the huge amount of money and effort spent to defeat it, especially when many of those opposed seemed to be ok with civil unions that mirriored marriage in every way. Seperate but equal. It seemed like a whole lot of nothing over a word.

I'm not even entirely clear WHY the LDS were so involved. That sort of came out of left field IMO.

I did NOT like how the situation was spun, making it about parential rights in schools (ie:"they are going to be forced to tell Kindergartners about gay sex!!!"...you know how it goes).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 06:48 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Not where I am at
Well, it's a statewide ban. You may have some little registry for couples in Key West, but I'm pretty sure it would be meaningless outside of Monroe County.

Quote:
I would say that Key West is more gay friendly than anywhere in California. Pretty much the same with Ft lauderdale although I agree that Florida is not friendly as a whole.
I think I would disagree with that. Maybe the city of Key West is very gay-friendly, and I know that Monroe County did reject the ban for same-sex couples 52-48, but there are many counties in California that rejected the ban here in much greater numbers.

Ft. Lauderdale dealt with an anti-gay mayor for four terms before he finally left office this past year. It's not that gay-friendly.

Quote:
It is too bad, because this is one of the few social issues i agree with the libs on
Glad to hear it. Unfortunately, you're in the minority among Republicans as a whole.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I wouldn't hold up California as a model for the country. What a disfunctional place.
I think it depends on what the issue is. On many issues, no, it's not a model, but for the issues I care about, combined with the climate and the scenery, it's a great place to live.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:54 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,569,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I guess you are unable to decipher an exit poll.

Democrat (42%)
Republican (29%)
Independent (28%)

Of the 42% of dems, 36% voted yes, of the 29% of republicans, 82% voted yes, of the 28% of Indies, 46% voted yes.

Sorry, democrats, indies, blacks and hispanics enabled this to pass.
Do you mind telling me where you got these stats from? Thanks, sanrene.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:54 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Just think; If ALL of the 26% of LIBERALS would have voted NO, it might not have passed. Turns out, 22% of the 26% of liberals voted YES. What a shocker.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
What were the polling results or public vote? I don't live in CA but I did hear something about the LDS being involved
52% voted for the ban; 48% voted against it. Here's an interactive map showing the counties and their results:

Proposition 8 Map - November 4, 2008, General Election - California Secretary of State

Old 08-05-2009, 06:56 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Quote:
Do you mind telling me where you got these stats from? Thanks, sanrene.
From YOUR link in the exit poll. Vote by Party ID - the breakdown is Dem, Rep, Indie, 42%, 29% and 28% respectively.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:58 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,569,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
From YOUR link in the exit poll. Vote by Party ID by Dem, Rep, Indie, 42%, 29% and 28% respectively.
Wow...whats with the attitude?

I never posted any links to any exit poll in this thread..?

Old 08-05-2009, 07:00 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I think it depends on what the issue is. On many issues, no, it's not a model, but for the issues I care about, combined with the climate and the scenery, it's a great place to live.
Beautiful place, I am partial to Northern California. But politically a basket case.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:00 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,085,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkins Well View Post
Wrong, it was the Knights of Columbus that helped pass Prop 8. You should of heard some of the lies that they used in their media buys. "Teach sex ed to Kindergartners." "Prop 8 will kill grandma." Oh wait, that was a different lie.

Knights of Columbus contributes $1 million to Prop 8 campaign

Wish more Republicans in our state and the rest of our country would adopt the views of some Libertarians that don't give a crap about sexual orientation.

Wrong it was because many blacks and hispanics came out to vote for obama and with that vote they voted against gay marriage. Most backs and hispanics are not pro-gay.

I wouldn't wait around for the cowards to admit it though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies