Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 04:35 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times

Advertisements

This smacks of Nazi Germany. Something Hitler did.

Tactics such as this, and his dismissal and labling of citizen involvement as simply "angry mobs" that are either being paid by Repulican Party organizers, or ACORN like groups (which does use such tactics) should send chills up the spines of eveyone who cherishes freedom.

This man is taking on the character of a dictator. Anyone who doesn't agree with him or his policies must be silenced, and is considered to be disruptive, and a problem to be dealt with.

I am in fear for our country. I thank God that someone like Cornyn has decided to speak out against this, with a letter directly to Obama. I hope more will join him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
It is a well written letter that explains the most common fears people have about this. I hope we see a reply soon, and included in the response is the end of this program.
Don't hold your breath.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:38 AM

539 posts, read 699,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
The end result of OBAMACARE

Rome, Tennessee paper?

Old 08-06-2009, 04:40 AM

539 posts, read 699,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
This smacks of Nazi Germany. Something Hitler did.

Tactics such as this, and his dismissal and labling of citizen involvement as simply "angry mobs" that are either being paid by Repulican Party organizers, or ACORN like groups (which does use such tactics) should send chills up the spines of eveyone who cherishes freedom.

This man is taking on the character of a dictator. Anyone who doesn't agree with him or his policies must be silenced, and is considered to be disruptive, and a problem to be dealt with.

I am in fear for our country. I thank God that someone like Cornyn has decided to speak out against this, with a letter directly to Obama. I hope more will join him.
God will reveal him to us.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:43 AM

4,459 posts, read 4,207,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicWings View Post
The White House call for people to inform on anyone spreading "disinformation about health insurance reform" didn't sit well with a lot of people -- Obama isn't running a political campaign anymore, he's supposed to be running the country (and in the event even those who spread video clips of the president making statements on health care reform that are now impolitic have been targeted by the White House). Texas Senator John Cornyn has written a letter to the president politely asking if he could please put an end to the creepiness:
“I am not aware of any precedent for a President asking American citizens to report their fellow citizens to the White House for pure political speech that is deemed ‘fishy’ or otherwise inimical to the White House’s political interests,†Sen. Cornyn wrote. “You should not be surprised that these actions taken by your White House staff raise the specter of a data collection program. As Congress debates health care reform and other critical policy matters, citizen engagement must not be chilled by fear of government monitoring the exercise of free speech rights.â€
Read the full letter: The Weekly Standard
Yep, those Blue Dogs got the jitters I'd say. Moveon.org is doing an all out ad blitz against Ben Nelson too in Nebraska. We got to keep those Puppies honest...

Old 08-06-2009, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I think the idea was that they want to address false accusations and rumors before they have a chance to spread.

Still, it's not a new idea, really. Bush and ******** caught all kinds of hell for the proposed "Operation TIPS" program. Remember that? It would have essentially turned every one of us into "citizen spies" by encouraging us to report anyone who looked like a possible terrorist.

Operation TIPS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Not the same thing. You couldn't be more wrong. That program was about suspicious activity, such as someone taking pictures of possible targets (bridges etc) that was not obviously taking travel photos, for example. We did uncover plots and cells in this country in just this way. Every citizen, is called upon to be observant of things which do not seem quite right and report them. This is not new. We have Neighborhood Watch programs across the country, to protect our neigborhoods. Noting is wrong with this.

What we are talking about here is an effort to silence free speech. And not only silence it, but intimidate citizens into remaining silent on issues that they disagree with.

We have everyday citizens, exercising their Constitutional right to speak out against legislation at these town hall meetings, rightfully angry about what is taking place, with no discussion or debate, the details being kept secret about something that is going to have an enormous effect on their lives (namely there health care, and right to choose their own plan and doctor), and they are being dismissed as simply "angry mobs", and accused of being "plants".

This is certainly an outrageous development, and should rightfully have every American on alert. This is a huge threat to liberty.

As Cornyn said in his letter, can you imagin if George Bush had begun a similar program?

This not only violates free speech, it violates our right to privacy, as well as our right to be secure in our homes. Next thing you know, some "jack booted thug" will show up at citizens doors demanding they turn over their computer to the government, and they will be hauled in for questioning.

This man scares the hell out of me.

It is this kind of thing that tells me "he ain't no patriot or citizen of this country". This many is an imposter, and a fraud. He was born in Kenya. He should not be in the White House. We have to ask, "Who is really pulling his strings?"

Old 08-06-2009, 04:59 AM

24,388 posts, read 23,044,056 times
I think that his most vocal defenders are okay with being labeled nazis.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:01 AM

Quote:
It was never implemented. Read the Wikipedia article.
The program may not have been implemented; but people were being watchfull and reporting suspicious activities just the same, as good citizens should do.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:07 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
I think the idea was that they want to address false accusations and rumors before they have a chance to spread.

Still, it's not a new idea, really. Bush and ******** caught all kinds of hell for the proposed "Operation TIPS" program. Remember that? It would have essentially turned every one of us into "citizen spies" by encouraging us to report anyone who looked like a possible terrorist.

Operation TIPS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Right, and as we all know the only thing more dangerous to a free and open society than a foreign Islamo-fascist terrorist moving among us with a mission to kill us and our children and to destroy our way of life is a US citizen who openly opposes Dear Leader.

I can't wait fo your next post about incompetent Bush getting blindsided by 9/11 or using false intellegence data to justify the Iraq War.

Are you really that much of a partisan hack that you don't see the difference between collecting information in a legal manner to protect the constitutional rights of Americans from foreign invaders who are here solely for the purpose of killing them and political speech? Do you understand not being killed by a foreign terrorist is a constitutional right just like free speech?

Wasn't addressing false accusations and rumors Joseph Goebbels job?

Old 08-06-2009, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
healthcare will make you safe too.. from disease and death...
Yes, but we do not need the government limiting our choices and running our health program.

We already have the best health care in the world, and some of the best doctors and hospitals. People come to the U.S. to get what they can't get in their country under their governments plan. Why do we want what they have?

Americans do not want this. It's being forced on us. This is why people are reacting negatively to it. They do not want some bureaucrat deciding what is good for them, or what proceedure they can and cannot have.

Besides, elderly people will not get needed care, because the government will not pay for those near the end of life. This is a fact. We need only look at what is happening in other countries. It is a natural consequence of a government run system. If the government is paying the bill (the taxpayers are really paying it), the care will be rationed. I don't care what Obama says. He's a liar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies