Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 01:57 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,427,127 times

Advertisements

The Democratic-led Congress and the White House are set for a showdown on pulling troops out of Iraq. President Bush has vowed to veto the Democratic bill, which would begin a phased withdrawal starting in October.

Do you support an Iraq pullout? Vote below at link.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/BeSee...pup?id=3072020
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 02:10 PM

75 posts, read 93,684 times
Iraq is a complex issue, both sides have points. On one hand we started the stupid war and shouldn't leave the country in pieces for something we did. On the other hand Bush is an utter idiot and seems to have absolutely no real plan to fix the country. Until bush comes up with some real plans I think the democrats have the right idea. Without a viable plan there is no reason for all the kids to die, and certainly those tax dollars could do some good at home.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:16 PM

68,281 posts, read 54,065,692 times
I want to know what Bush would define as victory in Iraq, it's hard to judge the right move until we know just what end we're fighting towards.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:22 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,113,836 times
Bush has no plans other than to continue the same ill-faited policy. The complete incompetence and lack of comprehension of the internal Iraqi complexities as well as the region in general is unconscionable. The next president will have to make the inevitable decision to, for the most part, leave.... And then get blamed as the already weak government gets weaker.... As if staying has had much positive impact.

This is a communal civil war of which we cannot have a military goal, or a peacekeeping goal for that matter. The time for that passed when Bush ignored calls for the appropriate number of troops in 2003. Even then, it might not have prevented this situation, but then was the time to try. More significantly was incredibly poor decision to go in there in the first place.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:08 PM

2,800 posts, read 9,988,816 times
It's terrible that we are STILL in Iraq. And yes, I used to think that we should just get out while we can and let them be and do whatever they want and we should stay out of their business. HOWEVER, now there has been so much time lapse sicne we have been there and we have lost so many soldiers...should their deaths be in vain? I mean, if we pull out now with nothing accomplished, what would that say to the soldiers that have dies for this cause? What would it say to the other countries that are standing by and watching? I think it will show the other countries that America WILL buckle under if given enough time and with enough loss of lives. We should stand true to the saying...Red, White and Blue...These colors NEVER RUN!
They just need a good plan and make good of it in a certain time frame then get out regardless of progress! But just to pull out NO WAY!

Old 04-24-2007, 09:18 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,395,422 times
I also want to know what "victory" is in Iraq.

I heard today that the VP came out and said that Democrats were looking for defeat. Well Mr. Vice President, what in the world is victory over there?

I am so disgusted with the stupid pointless rhetoric from this White House, anything other than their ideas at this point HAVE to be better. I certainly don't have a lot of confidence in Democrats, but when compared to Bush and Co., ANYTHING is better.

This White House has screwed up enough and too many people have died in this blunder. Time to start to bring our boys home.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:25 PM

68,281 posts, read 54,065,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
It's terrible that we are STILL in Iraq. And yes, I used to think that we should just get out while we can and let them be and do whatever they want and we should stay out of their business. HOWEVER, now there has been so much time lapse sicne we have been there and we have lost so many soldiers...should their deaths be in vain? I mean, if we pull out now with nothing accomplished, what would that say to the soldiers that have dies for this cause? What would it say to the other countries that are standing by and watching? I think it will show the other countries that America WILL buckle under if given enough time and with enough loss of lives. We should stand true to the saying...Red, White and Blue...These colors NEVER RUN!
They just need a good plan and make good of it in a certain time frame then get out regardless of progress! But just to pull out NO WAY!

We needed a good plan before the invasion ever took place. And the question remains of what do we really hope to achieve? And does suffering more deaths really mean the others had any more or less meaning? They made the ultimate sacrifice for their country, NOTHING can take away from that.

Old 04-24-2007, 09:46 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,988,177 times
Probably... we haven't really made any progress since Saddam was toppled, as far as I know. Better to pull out than stay the course and drag the whole thing out into another Vietnam...

Now, of course things may go downhill if we pull out, but I haven't seen anything to indicate that outcome could be avoided by keeping the troops there longer, and we can't keep them there forever... I say end the occupation, start talking with all involved parties (including our enemies) to come up with some sort of compromise, and keep some troops there but switch their function from combat to training... do everything we can to help out the Iraqi people (reparations, Marshall Plan, peacekeeping, whatever) without maintaining the occupation. Whether we screwed them over or not is up to debate, but we at least owe them that.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:34 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,910,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
We needed a good plan before the invasion ever took place. And the question remains of what do we really hope to achieve? And does suffering more deaths really mean the others had any more or less meaning? They made the ultimate sacrifice for their country, NOTHING can take away from that.
Agree. There will be no victory, our goals were false.
I want to bring those left home, though some left behind to train might work.
As it stands now, negotiations seem to be at an impasse.

House and Senate negotiators reached agreement on legislation that would provide $95.5 billion for the wars this year -- $4 billion more than Bush requested -- but would also set timetables for U.S. troop withdrawal from Iraq tied to the Iraqi government's progress in meeting a series of economic, political and military benchmarks. Regardless of Iraqi compliance, the bill calls for beginning the "phased redeployment" of U.S. forces out of Iraq no later than Oct. 1, with a goal of ending U.S. combat operations in Iraq by April 1, 2008.
Bush Denounces War Timetable

Old 04-25-2007, 08:37 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,885,257 times
NO, no pull out now until we get the Iraqis up to speed to take care of their country then we can come home. finish what we started
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies