Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 10:52 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,995,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Why does someone else having a voice mean that you don't? You've made this sort of comment more than once in this thread and I don't get the correlation at all. Just because someone else "gets something" doesn't mean you "lose something" - especially when we're talking about concepts and rights - like the right to get married, for example. That's one way certain groups that you don't want to recognize want to be "equal" to the majority group. Inequities like that reinforce the "different groups" mentality and undermine the "we are the world" mentality.
I asked for an example and someone has graciously provided one, thank you.

This is a legal issue, involving considerable stakeholders. For you to say that changing the law does not involve the shifting of lawful rights and obligations is completely meritless. Shall I go on or can you acknowledge that my comment is more than a mere suggestion? Please avoid any personal attack since I've not attacked anyone, nor will I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 01:15 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,854,954 times
I'm not sick of hearing about racism. Racism is often taught at home and I think children have to be taught that it's wrong. The more that is taught in school and mentioned in the media, the better. Racism is alive and well and to extent, probably always will be. But it's gotten a lot better in the last half century.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:51 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,497,719 times
Thats true Glory B, Great Debates has gotten better, maybe Mods
are locking threads, there were a few more than currently running.

I've read through a couple threads, but the contribution isn't worth it.
I think to much time is spent discussing the isssue anyhow. Most have
made there decision and stand on the subject. A couple of posters use
the threads as their personal battle ground, to repeat the same things
over and over.

Last edited by virgode; 08-08-2009 at 01:53 AM.. Reason: pghing

Old 08-08-2009, 02:45 AM

257 posts, read 406,239 times
Racism will always be around. There will always be physical differences between races. Even if every race mixed into oblivion, their lighter or darker descendants would just discriminate against each other and think of themselves as better. Racism is very natural, and it should be respected that their are different races and they should have and be in their own countries. Unless, of course, you don't want diversity and want everyone to mix into one color, which wouldn't solve racism anyway.

Old 08-08-2009, 02:48 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,216,996 times
It would be nice if they didn't legitimately have anything to complain about.

Old 08-08-2009, 04:17 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,955,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It would be nice if they didn't legitimately have anything to complain about.
This is what I was trying to say in post #20.

Some prefer the trickle down effect.
Some would rather work for an equal playing field.
I can see both sides.

From LZKay1:
Quote:
Racism is very natural, and it should be respected that their are different races and they should have and be in their own countries.
I don't see racism as being particularly "natural."
Nobody is born a bigot.
OTOH, I don't see that it is particularly helpful to determinedly ignore differences.

Old 08-08-2009, 04:43 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,295,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checking out View Post
Could it be that I am the only one who is sick of hearing about racism? Sick of hearing about the plight of homosexuals? Of the challenges of short people? Of the issues that fat people face? Of the agenda that is worked against anyone who practices a religion other than christian?

The whole darned thing is little more than a bunch of control freaks screaming about wanting more. Here's a tip for you, if you think you cannot get ahead because of who you are then forget about getting ahead because it's what's inside you that is holding you back.
I'm not sick of hearing about legitimate issues. Disabled people were unable to get around the cities or into buildings until laws were passed to accomodate them. It's still legal in many states to fire someone for being homosexual and in many more states for being transsexual.

I am sick of hearing about how racism is holding so many people back. The issue of race discrimination has been legislated for over 40 years. It's illegal to discriminate on the basis of race in employment, housing and education.

Not everyone is equal. Not everyone has the ability to graduate from high school not to mention college. Society will never be able to employ all of its low achievers. Where the line is drawn will depend on economic conditions but there will always be those who are unable to produce much more than what they need to survive and others who cannot even produce that much.

There are many who claim that these failures are due to racism. But racism is illegal. Racism cannot possible be the only reason that so many people are failing. To any extent that racism is still playing a part in so many failures, it has to be very small. There simply has to be something else going on. I can point to other factors contributing to these failures but all I ever hear about is racism.

There are problems with these claims of racism. First, most of the claims of racism these days are not legitimate. I see people who could not succeed under the best of circumstances claiming racism as the reason. People are beginning to tune these out which would dilute any real claims of racism. Second, there are a lot of people failing. If we fail to identify the real reasons for this failure any attempts to fix the problem will fail.

- Reel

Old 08-08-2009, 05:02 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,955,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
Not everyone is equal. Not everyone has the ability to graduate from high school not to mention college. Society will never be able to employ all of its low achievers. Where the line is drawn will depend on economic conditions but there will always be those who are unable to produce much more than what they need to survive and others who cannot even produce that much.

There are many who claim that these failures are due to racism. But racism is illegal.
Murder and driving under the influence are illegal, too, and this occurs every day. And "low achievement" might be a bit subjective.
However, I do understand and appreciate your point.
IMHO, our nation does not need or want %100 white collar workers.
I don't make six figures and never will.
I only hope that everyone can be exposed to the same opportunities.
I like what Obama says here. He gave this speech just last month.
the "pain of discrimination" was still felt in America but that black parents should teach their children that there were "no excuses" for underachieving.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:44 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,533,909 times
I think I go along with Reelist in Atlanta. I'm not sick of hearing about legitimate issues either. It's the political posturing and self-promotion we can all do without.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:01 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,557,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checking out View Post
I asked for an example and someone has graciously provided one, thank you.

This is a legal issue, involving considerable stakeholders. For you to say that changing the law does not involve the shifting of lawful rights and obligations is completely meritless. Shall I go on or can you acknowledge that my comment is more than a mere suggestion? Please avoid any personal attack since I've not attacked anyone, nor will I.
I respectfully disagree. It doesn't change my legal status as a married person if 2 straight people marry, or 2 gay people marry, or 2 tall people marry. I'm married and don't care who else does or doesn't get married - I'd like them to have the right to choose for themselves, though.

Considering your thread title this is feeling a bit off topic so will leave it at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies