Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why were the Republicans voted out in 2006
Because the economy was great, unemployment was at 1%, gas was a buck a gallon, and we had just conquered the world though war. 2 25.00%
Gas was 4 dollars a gallon, unemployment on the way up, the housing bubble was starting to break. 6 75.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 06:29 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,171,166 times

Advertisements

If things were so great in 2006 why did the country though the repugs out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 06:47 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,302,470 times
"we had just conquered the world though war."

That's a joke, right?

Old 03-04-2010, 06:53 AM

30,069 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw144 View Post
The dems were able to take the house and senate mostly as a reaction to George Bush. Alot of dems hated him and conservatives were not thrilled about him.

People were reacting to the Iraq War primarily. Unlike now, unemployment was low, incomes were up, and GDP was up. Funny how things change. Now with 10% unemployment, people are more concerned with the economy and the national debt, which will bring the republicans back in power in 2010 and 2012. When one is unemployed, the conflict in Iraq, global warming, gay rights, and national healthcare seem to make little difference.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:54 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,171,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
"we had just conquered the world though war."

That's a joke, right?
I just want to see how people remember the good old days when conservatives were in charge.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:06 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,534,561 times
I dont think people are as stupid as the GOP thinks. Some people realize that if you are going to office to get re-elected you cant accomplish much. The very first day of the Obama presidency talk radio and the GOP were already saying "Worst prez ever" and one big ass mistake America. So anyone who didnt vote for them in 2008 and sees a change are sadly mistaken. This will become obvious as they just continue an all out assualt on President Obama. They dont care about doing any real work. They dont care about anyone that cant start a big company. So put them back in office and get what you deserve.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:17 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,300,508 times
The Dems won in '06 primarily on the back of the Iraq War and it's unpopularity (and other things associated with it)...

Obama THEN won in '08 because of the mishandling of the War on Terror to a lesser extent, but moreso because the economic repercussions of the unchecked boom during Bush's tenure had become evident...

The Republicans might win back a majority this year because Obama hasn't really changed anything yet. Those that stick with the Dems don't believe he's had the time and view the Republicans as obstructionist, while those that will flip think that it's because Obama's ideas are the problem and that he should have been able to fix this by now...

I think by '12 for the next Presidential election things will be more clear and we'll be able to judge Obama's Presidency more clearly... As of now, it looks as though he may be fed up with attempting to cooperate at all and has decided that he is going to push hard for what he wants. Honestly I believe that's what he has to do, because trying to cooperate has been a disaster. The Republicans reject the notion and the Dems are tired of Obama trying to "play nice"....

I'd say that this will serve to further polarize us politically, but who are we kidding? The Republicans already hated him and weren't going to give him a chance anyway, so I see his new strategy as the only alternative..

Old 03-04-2010, 07:51 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,302,470 times
Quote:
I just want to see how people remember the good old days when conservatives were in charge.
Somehow I managed to overlook the other absurdities in that sentence. I fail.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:57 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Because Democrats sold the public on the fact that they could responsible with the budget.

They proclaimed that by 2011 they would have a balanced budget, and 2012, they would return to surpluses. Americans were tired of spending, and pork barrel projects, and were promised "the most ethical Congress ever". What we received was just astounding..

Old 03-04-2010, 08:08 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,390,108 times
Quote:
your poll answers are silly. both of them.

had the economy not tanked, the dems would have won anyway.

This was simple.

George Bush had an approval rating of below 50% in fact, his was (I believe) below 40%.

No party retains the whitehouse when that party has a sitting president wiht a below 50% approval rating. Period. end of story.

As for Congress, the republicans turned their back on things that republicans are supposed to do. Of course they were hated by the left. but that is the case no matter what. Moderate and conservative voters saw the Rs as being no different than the Ds so they either did not vote or voted for the other guy effectivly tossing the bums out.

But there are 2 reasons this happened.
Frist, GWB made a political mistake going into Iraq.
Second, Republicans spent like drunken sailors.

The good news is, democrats dont understand that the spending was the issue so they are making it worse.

I suspect, a new crop of republicans will be given a single chance to stop the spending.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:12 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,347,517 times
Because Americans are never really satisfied with their politicians. In fact, ask the average, reasonable person what he/she thinks of a politician and they will say something along the lines: "I think they're all crooks".

So, the Republicans had dominated for a long period of time and people tired of the politicians in office and wanted a change.

It goes in cycles though. The dems are quickly wearing out their welcome and don't be surprised to see another vote for change in a few years time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies