Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 09:07 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

the thing that is confusing seems to be, all the plans out there. I believe there are 4 right now. I am not sure what is what.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 09:15 AM

251 posts, read 825,604 times
If everyone else is paying taxes to the government, it limits the amount of jobs that can be created, etc (take a look at European unemployment rates....always much higher than the US, even in good times).

I don't know about European , but Canadian unemployment rate is less than US. Sales taxes are comparable (depend on province and state). If you check real numbers - also income taxes in canada are not high than in certain states in US.
I'd prefer to pay 5% more in taxes and to have free healthcare (NO out-of-pocket expences)

It's funny that many ppl are thinking that low life expectancy in US primary because of the food !!! and not because that tens millions americans DOESN"T have Health Insurance.

BTW, extremely high rate of obesity, maybe result of poor health care too.
For example, I'm going to clinic once per year to have free full check up (everyone does it). In US even I have the est 90% insurance, I'd pay out-of-pocket so big amount, that I'm not sure if I'd do full check up in States
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

European

Old 08-12-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
But FREE health care? You DO reallize that Canadian pay a LOT for their system through taxes, right

But, all of Western Europe has this kind of care and their quality of life and life expectancies are higher than ours are here.

Our taxes pay for wars instead. Is that better, really ?

Some americans thinking that 'YES'

Old 08-12-2009, 10:01 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,370,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post
I'd prefer to pay 5% more in taxes and to have free healthcare (NO out-of-pocket expences)
Then it's not really free is it? You use that word like things really are free. Nothing from the government is free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post
It's funny that many ppl are thinking that low life expectancy in US primary because of the food !!! and not because that tens millions americans DOESN"T have Health Insurance.
Not saying it's the primary reason, however, it's been shown that when the American Western diet is adopted by other people they get more illness. Here is just one of the reports that have been shown discussing this

BBC NEWS | Health | Western diet risk to Asian women

http://www.newser.com/story/40461/we...-globally.html

Old 08-12-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
Then it's not really free is it? You use that word like things really are free. Nothing from the government is free.

Not saying it's the primary reason, however, it's been shown that when the American Western diet is adopted by other people they get more illness. Here is just one of the reports that have been shown discussing this

BBC NEWS | Health | Western diet risk to Asian women

Western Diet Hits Heart Health Globally - Science & Health News Briefs | Newser
You perfectly understand what i mean by 'free'. You say "free school" - but it's also not exactly free and paid through taxes.

I fully aware what is it 'American food' (BTW in Ontario schools were implemented some rules limiting consumption of some soft drinks by kids), but this is a very secondary reason. On other hand i never seen so much low-fat food on shelves of american supermarkets.

BTW, some time ago i read article that some american students from southeast are going to Cuba to get afordable health care

Old 08-12-2009, 10:44 AM

1,554 posts, read 5,290,342 times
Obama should just drop this plan and let the idiots be content waiting to get sick for treatment rather than preventative medicine. People are too stupid to realize they are getting ripped off by their current insurance plans. Not to mention the people with no insurance. It seems as if people would rather stay stagnant and get abused by the insurance companies than actually make a change for the better I.E. Competition. Pathetic. Congratulations to the right for confusing the public. You did a great job.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:32 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,068,257 times
Mysticaltyger, I get your point that nothing is free. But if a third world country can have a public system why can't we? We can come up with something that benefits us all, right? Again, I've had it happen to me that I fell ill abroad and was taken care of, there was no bill from the government. I didn't go into debt trying to pay for health care and I was not even a citizen/tax payer of that country.

Nita, I'm with you there are too many plans floating around.

Quartermass, I definately think that physicians should have a salary cap if they are government employees. This will keep them more honest in my opinion and would hopefully improve care. There are pleny of doctors out there just wanting to make $$$. Kaiser has a salary structure in place and no one is complaining. I also believe there should be a national database so that an accurate record is maintained. Employers should provide health insurance to all of its employees is another thing I agree with. Again, these are proposals. You can't get everything right the first go around. If something doesn't work we can vote for changes. Nothing is written in stone.

It is amazing to see how many people are turning out to be heard. Everyone has so much passion. In some other countries we wouldn't have the right to fight. So hopefully all these protests will bring about some positive changes.

Cityboy, the public does seem to be a bit confused. People just like to stick with what they know even a bad system then change anything. New things tend to scare people. Abuse is an accurate term to describe what has happened to insurance and care in this country.

Anyone talk to people out of work who have been for more than 6 months (especially people who are older, have medical conditions, and or people with kids)? They can't even afford to stay on the group plans. I'll bet they wish they could have some kind of affordable health insurance.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:22 AM

230 posts, read 599,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Quartermass, I definately think that physicians should have a salary cap if they are government employees. This will keep them more honest in my opinion and would hopefully improve care. There are pleny of doctors out there just wanting to make $$$.
The health-care bill will make all physicians de facto government employees, answerable to a centralized federal agency. If this is a frightening prospect for patients, it is a nightmarish scenario for doctors, many of whom will leave the practice of medicine altogether rather than operate under such a draconian regime. I have talked to a number of doctors about this bill, including my own GP, and nearly all of them have suggested or stated outright that they will be retiring early if health "reform" goes through.

Our current market-based system naturally weeds out unscrupulous or incompetent physicians, which is part of the reason why America has the best quality of care in the world. Unlike the president, I don't approach doctors with the assumption they're dishonest in the first place.

Quote:
I also believe there should be a national database so that an accurate record is maintained.
The imagination reels with the number of ways this can and will be abused.

Quote:
Employers should provide health insurance to all of its employees is another thing I agree with.
What if they can't afford to do this? Under national health care, the answer will be "too bad". The vast majority of jobs in America are created by small businesses, the very businesses that will be punished under the terms of this bill. This will shut down a great many of those businesses altogether and kill an unimaginable number of jobs.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:00 AM

1,554 posts, read 5,290,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatermass View Post
The health-care bill will make all physicians de facto government employees, answerable to a centralized federal agency. If this is a frightening prospect for patients, it is a nightmarish scenario for doctors, many of whom will leave the practice of medicine altogether rather than operate under such a draconian regime. I have talked to a number of doctors about this bill, including my own GP, and nearly all of them have suggested or stated outright that they will be retiring early if health "reform" goes through.

Our current market-based system naturally weeds out unscrupulous or incompetent physicians, which is part of the reason why America has the best quality of care in the world. Unlike the president, I don't approach doctors with the assumption they're dishonest in the first place.

The imagination reels with the number of ways this can and will be abused.

What if they can't afford to do this? Under national health care, the answer will be "too bad". The vast majority of jobs in America are created by small businesses, the very businesses that will be punished under the terms of this bill. This will shut down a great many of those businesses altogether and kill an unimaginable number of jobs.
Are you a doctor because if not you can't speak for them. Considering they overwhelming support the president what are you talking about? Including my father who is a Psychiatrist and everybody who I work with.

The current system doesn't work and the reason you see less and less Family Practice doctors is based off the low pay and insurance taking most of their cut.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:25 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,068,257 times
Quartermass, you are making things up. All physicians would not make all physicians government employees. Many of my family members that are physicians have had a hard time with insurance companies for several reasons. Insurance companies ration too many services and the requirements to get private pratice insurance is too expensive and the care suffers for this.

"Our current market-based system naturally weeds out unscrupulous or incompetent physicians" I would again disagree with you on this. Tell that to poor kids who have either all of their teeth pulled out or all of their teeth filled.

We don't have the best quality care in the world. We have outstanding services and technology if one can afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies