Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 08:58 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Like I said . . . these figures can be presented in many formats and to justify many points of view.

Regardless, the unemployment rate in this country remains the highest it has been in decades and in some regions, the highest it has been since the Great Depression.

It peaked at nearly 11% under Reagan.

The United States Unemployment Rate (http://www.miseryindex.us/urbymonth.asp - broken link)

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 08:59 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
If Walmart isnt contracting and actually is hiring that's good news, too.

Isnt it better that more people are at least working, fewer people are filing, house prices stabilizing and in some places rising, and so forth?
Fewer people filing . . . is this because they don't qualify to file, i.e. contract workers?

What about those who have not found jobs and whose benefits have run out - who is counting them? What aggregate figures show this?

House prices are stabilizing . . . where? And what does that mean - "Stabilizing?" If the average home price dropped 50%, does a 5% gain really mean anything?

I am not trying to be argumentative here and do not mean to insult you for your optimism. I am just asking - are these really signs of improvement - or just signs that the blood-letting has slowed.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:59 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
I believe some see pointing out that unemployment is getting worse is a direct attack on their guy in the WH....when at least in my case it is not.

I care nothing for Obama thats for sure but this is bigger then him or the Dems even,this is a major problem with the society we have become used to.

And making things appear more rosy is either naive OR ideologically based.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:00 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post

The United States Unemployment Rate (http://www.miseryindex.us/urbymonth.asp - broken link)

Ken
Was the same standard used then as now?

Because I thought the way unemployment was measured was changed in the 1990's???

Old 08-07-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Fewer people filing . . . is this because they don't qualify to file, i.e. contract workers?

What about those who have not found jobs and whose benefits have run out - who is counting them? What aggregate figures show this?
Again, that is ALWAYS the case. Those numbers are always left out - under this administration and under previous administrations. You can't change your computational methods simply because you don't like what they are saying. You have to compare apples to apples in order to measure progress.

Quote:
House prices are stabilizing . . . where? And what does that mean - "Stabilizing?" If the average home price dropped 50%, does a 5% gain really mean anything?

I am not trying to be argumentative here and do not mean to insult you for your optimism. I am just asking - are these really signs of improvement - or just signs that the blood-letting has slowed.
Home prices up nationwide:

Home price index of 20 cities in 1st monthly rise since 2006 - Jul. 28, 2009

Ken

Old 08-07-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Was the same standard used then as now?

Because I thought the way unemployment was measured was changed in the 1990's???
I have no idea.
Why don't you look it up and find out.

Ken

Old 08-07-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I believe some see pointing out that unemployment is getting worse is a direct attack on their guy in the WH....when at least in my case it is not.

I care nothing for Obama thats for sure but this is bigger then him or the Dems even,this is a major problem with the society we have become used to.

And making things appear more rosy is either naive OR ideologically based.
Again, that's all the more reason that whatever computational methods have been used in the past should continue to be the yardstick NOW.
The official numbers are showing a drop.

Ken

Old 08-07-2009, 09:14 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post

Ken
And how long was that sustained?

Things sucked then as they do now . . . but here is something no one seems to be discussing.

Back in the Reagan years, the unemployment represented TRUE LAY OFFS. By that I mean, folks were temporarily laid off from manufacturing jobs, but they eventually were able to return to those jobs.

The situation now is . . . the jobs are GONE. It is not merely a matter of temporarily laying off. This is not true all over the country, but in some regions, this is a fact.

We have had factories close and relocate their operations to other countries (i.e., Mexico, China, India, Malaysia). These are not jobs that will be coming back.

No one discusses that aspect of this economic downturn.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:14 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times
Diminished outcomes are great expectations. What about the people who have fallen off the unemployment benefits roll? They still don't have jobs, a year or more later. Great, job losses are slowing but we're not CREATING jobs. Until that happens, we won't have a recovery.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:19 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:

Yes, they're signs of improvement -- slowed bloodletting is an improvement. Even the linked article in the OP admits, "Still, the worst of the job cuts have passed."

I dont know about who's not filing/cant file, though the link in the OP breaks it down some: "fewer jobs cuts in manufacturing, construction, professional and business services and financial activities -- areas that have been hard hit by the collapse of the housing market and the financial crisis". I dont know how people whose benefits have run out could be counted or estimated but I'll bet theres an attempt to, somewhere.

House prices stabilizing: looks like I spoke too soon, but the news isnt all bad: Home prices may be stabilizing, market tracker shows - Los Angeles Times (couldnt get S&P's site to load).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies