Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2009, 08:04 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,782,332 times

Advertisements

States are having to pay to bury more and more of the dead and they are griping about the cost. They shouldn't because states are the reason burial cost are so high.
Back in the old days, before the days of the funeral cartel and the Republican Party (some Dixiecrats too) made a pact to screw the living with the burial of the dead, you could have a funeral at your home. You might give the preacher $25 for his trouble to come and say a few nice words about Harry. Then you chucked Harry in the back of the pickup and drove him to the town cemetery where you and others grabbed shovels, dug a nice deep hole and put Harry in it and shoveled the dirt back over it.
No casket, no vault, no funeral home, no funeral director, no messing with the body. Dignified, simple and cheap. The whole thing probably cost $200 at most!
Then the states came along and put into effect all the BS you have to go through to bury somebody now and it cost $6000 or more! Even to cremate, the state requires that a funeral director "sign off" on it which adds $1000 to the cost- just for him to sign a damn piece of paper!
Now the very states that caused this problem are complaining about all the people signing over dead relatives that they cannot afford to bury! They ought to not complain.
I bet if they did away with about 1/2 the regulation, you could bury at about 1/2 the cost! Especially with respect to creamation. It cost about $100 to creamate a dog (I had one done) but it cost $1500 to do a human because of the laws.

Death in the Recession: More Bodies Left Unburied - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20090807/us_time/08599191478000 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 08:11 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,683,094 times
yep, this is what happens when the state passes laws that favor businesses over people. try reading "the american way of death" by jessica mitford, from way back in the 60s. oh by the way, she was a member of cpusa. doh!

although a lot of stuff that funeral directors claim is the law is actually not. ditto for a lot of things that are supposedly health/sanitary concerns. this kind of scamminess is built into the industry. it's awful.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:13 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,183,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
States are having to pay to bury more and more of the dead and they are griping about the cost. They shouldn't because states are the reason burial cost are so high.
Back in the old days, before the days of the funeral cartel and the Republican Party (some Dixiecrats too) made a pact to screw the living with the burial of the dead, you could have a funeral at your home. You might give the preacher $25 for his trouble to come and say a few nice words about Harry. Then you chucked Harry in the back of the pickup and drove him to the town cemetery where you and others grabbed shovels, dug a nice deep hole and put Harry in it and shoveled the dirt back over it.
No casket, no vault, no funeral home, no funeral director, no messing with the body. Dignified, simple and cheap. The whole thing probably cost $200 at most!
Then the states came along and put into effect all the BS you have to go through to bury somebody now and it cost $6000 or more! Even to cremate, the state requires that a funeral director "sign off" on it which adds $1000 to the cost- just for him to sign a damn piece of paper!
Now the very states that caused this problem are complaining about all the people signing over dead relatives that they cannot afford to bury! They ought to not complain.
I bet if they did away with about 1/2 the regulation, you could bury at about 1/2 the cost! Especially with respect to creamation. It cost about $100 to creamate a dog (I had one done) but it cost $1500 to do a human because of the laws.

Death in the Recession: More Bodies Left Unburied - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20090807/us_time/08599191478000 - broken link)
This is the sort of thing that makes the "Oddly Enough" news in countries that hate us.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:16 AM

oh and by the way, the state might have certain requirements for burials/cremations (as lobbied for by the funeral industry), but they don't set the ridiculous prices that the funeral homes, cemeteries, etc charge. those prices are capitalism in action - the industry has an unspoken agreement to keep prices at a certain level, and it's a cost that everyone is going to have to pay (or have paid for them) eventually.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:22 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,183,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
yep, this is what happens when the state passes laws that favor businesses over people. try reading "the american way of death" by jessica mitford, from way back in the 60s. oh by the way, she was a member of cpusa. doh!

although a lot of stuff that funeral directors claim is the law is actually not. ditto for a lot of things that are supposedly health/sanitary concerns. this kind of scamminess is built into the industry. it's awful.
Im trying to buy property in a mountainy corner of Virginia and want to be buried on my own property, up on a hill....plain pine box...fantasize about building my own when I think about it.... just park me out of the way of the water supply

No funeral directors, no legal nothing, just fam and friends take me up on a moody hill.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:50 AM

note: i totally skimmed the first post and kinda made an ass of myself. obviously the op agrees with me. der.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies