Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2009, 08:00 AM

7,920 posts, read 9,139,555 times

Advertisements

I suppose the how much will this plan cost needs to be clarified as it tends to get skipped over. How will the govt generate the revenue to pay for the subsidization of those who won't be paying the full cost of their health premium? In addition to paying your own health insurance premium, has the govt decided yet what additional taxes/fees a middle class person will be paying to make up the difference? Many different proposals have been mentioned, what has been decided?

Secondly another point I haven't seen addressed is WHAT specifically will be cut to get the Medicare/Medicaid savings that was supposed to pay for the "down payment" in this plan? Will it be an across the board cut in payments to providers? Will specific treatments be cut instead? This is what many seniors are afraid of.....lack of concrete information on how Medicare will be changed. Address the question directly, and you can eliminate some of the anxiety of the unknown.

I would also like clarification on the employer's role in this. Everyone is forgetting that if you are employed, you don't have a choice. You need to follow what your employer does. If they continue with private coverage, you can't go with the public option and vice versa. Why isn't the administration more truthful on this fact?
I think part of the reason for misunderstandings on this bill is that the bill is not yet ready for primetime and shouldn't have been released yet. Trying to sell an open ended document with no set specifics on costs/responsibilities just begs for legitimate questioning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 08:02 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,167,771 times
Let me add something sort of off topic from a medical information help site that I discovered while looking up facts on the Swiss program you have said to be laudable.

"Question:We've been living and working in the Canton de Vaud for nearly 10 years. When we arrived we took only the basic health insurance. We recently applied for some extra cover and I have been refused (age 62). If I have an operation in the future will I be able to pay the difference to have a semi-private room or choose a clinic and doctor?
Aline, Morges
Answer:Thank you for your question. This problem often occurs with patients aged above 60. It is worth having a look at other health insurance offerings. There are brokers who might be able to assist you with your research. Should you have to undergo an elective operation in the future, you may obviously “pay the difference” to choose your clinic/surgeon, but it might be wise to check their fees well in advance! your GP should be able to advise you on this.
Dr. Thierry Weber"

Looks like no choice of doctors,clinics/hospitals, a ward type room as well as the fact one can be refused when looking to buy a supplemental policy

Old 08-07-2009, 08:03 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,841,630 times
old-cold...... Can you not see that there is far more Rationing of health care, treatment and medicine now than there could EVER be with a Govt. Funded UHC. NO ONE would be denied treatment or medicine under a UHC and pre-existing conditions would be a thing of the past.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:07 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,841,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Can you point me to the place in the bill that says the Public option is what Congress has and will be open to non-government citizens ?

I do not think that is true since Congress has opted out of this plan as well as the unions.
Who is to say whether the Govt will keep their private option if a UHC is introduced but they have exactly the same right to get private health care if they so wish as does every American if a UHC was implemented.
A UHC does NOT stop anyone from getting Private Health Care but it has been shown that it reduces the Premiums to such a figure that many more people can get a Private health plan and have a UHC for much less cost than just having the existing health system in America.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
I suppose the how much will this plan cost needs to be clarified as it tends to get skipped over. How will the govt generate the revenue to pay for the subsidization of those who won't be paying the full cost of their health premium? In addition to paying your own health insurance premium, has the govt decided yet what additional taxes/fees a middle class person will be paying to make up the difference? Many different proposals have been mentioned, what has been decided?

Secondly another point I haven't seen addressed is WHAT specifically will be cut to get the Medicare/Medicaid savings that was supposed to pay for the "down payment" in this plan? Will it be an across the board cut in payments to providers? Will specific treatments be cut instead? This is what many seniors are afraid of.....lack of concrete information on how Medicare will be changed. Address the question directly, and you can eliminate some of the anxiety of the unknown.

I would also like clarification on the employer's role in this. Everyone is forgetting that if you are employed, you don't have a choice. You need to follow what your employer does.If they continue with private coverage, you can't go with the public option and vice versa. Why isn't the administration more truthful on this fact?
I think part of the reason for misunderstandings on this bill is that the bill is not yet ready for primetime and shouldn't have been released yet. Trying to sell an open ended document with no set specifics on costs/responsibilities just begs for legitimate questioning.

Some cuts are in my post just above ^^ fopt65 .

Old 08-07-2009, 08:43 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,073,641 times
The cost of this would be prohibitive - when has government ever been less costly than the private sector and maintain the same or better quality on anything?

ACORN should never be sanctioned to take part in recruiting for healthcare - or anything else.

Do you trust Obama with your life? This is exactly what you would be doing. I do not and hope that this will be soundly defeated.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Who is to say whether the Govt will keep their private option if a UHC is introduced but they have exactly the same right to get private health care if they so wish as does every American if a UHC was implemented.
A UHC does NOT stop anyone from getting Private Health Care but it has been shown that it reduces the Premiums to such a figure that many more people can get a Private health plan and have a UHC for much less cost than just having the existing health system in America.
greatday has tried and tried to keep reminding you that what is before us is NOT UHC!

Old 08-07-2009, 08:52 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,006,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Let me add something sort of off topic from a medical information help site that I discovered while looking up facts on the Swiss program you have said to be laudable.

"Question:We've been living and working in the Canton de Vaud for nearly 10 years. When we arrived we took only the basic health insurance. We recently applied for some extra cover and I have been refused (age 62). If I have an operation in the future will I be able to pay the difference to have a semi-private room or choose a clinic and doctor?
Aline, Morges
Answer:Thank you for your question. This problem often occurs with patients aged above 60. It is worth having a look at other health insurance offerings. There are brokers who might be able to assist you with your research. Should you have to undergo an elective operation in the future, you may obviously “pay the difference” to choose your clinic/surgeon, but it might be wise to check their fees well in advance! your GP should be able to advise you on this.
Dr. Thierry Weber"

Looks like no choice of doctors,clinics/hospitals, a ward type room as well as the fact one can be refused when looking to buy a supplemental policy

Old_COld.. do you not have a "network"of doctors in your plans? And should you go OFF the plan ONLY a certain percentage is paid by the insurance company and the DIFFERENCE is paid by the patient.

SWISS system is a PRIVATE system.. fully PRIVATE system.

So..I'm not sure the point you are trying to make.

IN regards to private rooms, when I did have insurance and had my son my insurance company would pay x amount a dollars a day for my room. If I wanted the private room, and my insurance wouldn't cover the private room cost, I was informed by the hospital that I could have a private room if I paid the difference between what the company would pay daily for a public and the actual cost of the private.

All that you are trying to describe exists within the private system right here in the U.S

Old 08-07-2009, 08:55 AM

634 posts, read 1,557,813 times
THANK YOU TRISTINS MOMMY! It will take a few days to digest all of this but WOW! Thanks for all your hard work.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:13 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,749,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
People are worried that the Government is taking over way to much control over peoples lives. I personally think we need reform but not putting the Government in control of it. There have to be other options besides handing our health care over to the government. There are things that can be tried that are not even being discussed like portability and being about to purchase health care from any insurer you want regardless of what state you live in. I see how the government runs things and it always suck I don't want them running my health coverage. It also does not help the size of the bill, I mean is 1000 pages really necessary? I think there are so many hidden things in there that no one knows about or is even caring to find out about, they just hear "free health care for me" and that is all they care about.
If you had bothered to read the OP, you might just have seen that the government would NOT be 'taking over' health care. Just providing assistance for those who, for whatever reason, cannot currently obtain HC insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies