Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 10:27 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,426,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Between 1980 and 1984, 1995 and 2007 for the most part Republicans controlled congress and the senate http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History......effectively controlling everything from 2000 to 2007 with both houses and presidency. I am saying presidentially Reagen, Bush Sr. and Bush Jr. have been in control for 20 collective years as leaders...16 with control of the both senate and house of representatives.

Fraud ridden, not really as much as incompetent...I work with these agencies on a daily basis. I do wish those who don't want it could opt out myself, but honestly it would also mean they will never be able to take advantage of it...and many people change their minds once they need it.
We have NEVER had total control the way the Dems do, they always had enough to filibuster and prevent bills from passing. The Dems have COMPLETE control now, the Republicans are show pieces at this point nothing more.

I would LOVE to opt-out of both programs. If you plan when you are young you can set yourself up for retirement. If you **** money away and don't think about the future then you will need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 10:34 PM

7,084 posts, read 12,023,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
We have NEVER had total control the way the Dems do, they always had enough to filibuster and prevent bills from passing. The Dems have COMPLETE control now, the Republicans are show pieces at this point nothing more.
Then you are just playing the perpetual victim, if you cannot hold those accountable when they have the option to actually do something then there is no way to force them to do their job. The options allowed to democrats are always available and used by anyone, if you think that it's just them you need to educate yourself on the American political system.

Filibuster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-09-2009, 10:34 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,703,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post

I would LOVE to opt-out of both programs. If you plan when you are young you can set yourself up for retirement. If you **** money away and don't think about the future then you will need it.
You can plan all you want but the unexpected can leave you begging for help.

Quote:
The study estimates that medical bankruptcies affect about 2 million Americans annually -- counting debtors and their dependents, including about 700,000 children.

Surprisingly, most of those bankrupted by illness had health insurance. More than three-quarters were insured at the start of the bankrupting illness. However, 38 percent had lost coverage at least temporarily by the time they filed for bankruptcy

Read more: Medical Bills Leading Cause of Bankruptcy, Harvard Study Finds

Old 08-09-2009, 10:39 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,160,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
KNOW I'm going to get slammed for saying this but - IMO, it has to be said.

Bankruptcy is not that big of deal today - the problem is, many have little or know knowledge of the BK laws and many / most believe some of the MYTHS associated with BK -

First off, Bankruptcy is actually a Constitutionally protected right

Under Federal and State laws - a portion of the equity in your home is protected from claim by creditors. For instance, and it varies by state - in Arizona, $150,000 of equity is protected in your primary personal residence. In Nevada, it is $600,000 of equity.

Your retirement funds (401K's etc) are exempt.

You don't have to turn over your whole paycheck.

You might have to sell the boat though.

You do not lose the shirt off your back -

You can in some cases discharge certain debt (like Medical) while reaffirming other debt (like your home mortgage)

You can discharge Income Tax debt owed to the IRS (there are certain things that need to be done to have this done - but it is not a major issue)

As for your credit: BK and Foreclosure have essentially the same FICO score deduction.

FHA / HUD guidelines provide that FHA will insure a loan for someone to purchase a home 1 year after the discharge of a BK

There is more - far more than what I can do here - but, suffice to say, if someone has to file a Bankruptcy because of their Medical bills - they WILL NOT "lose" everything they own and have worked for.

One really needs to consult with competent legal council in their state to get specific details for their state of residence.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Then you are just playing the perpetual victim, if you cannot hold those accountable when they have the option to actually do something then there is no way to force them to do their job. The options allowed to democrats are always available and used by anyone, if you think that it's just them you need to educate yourself on the American political system.

Filibuster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I said BOTH parties suck but at the end of the day it is every American's fault that votes for these morons and demand no accountability in return.

The options available to Repubs right now if NOTHING, they can stop nothing that the Dems want to pass, it has never been like that for the Repubs. They have never controlled everything to the point that the Dems could do nothing.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:44 PM

Hey Greatday, Thanks for the bankruptcy information and advice! God knows that unless our healthcare system is changed, we will need this!

Old 08-09-2009, 10:48 PM

Quote:

Part of the planing is thinking about those things. When I started working full time that is when I began setting up for my future both in the event of smooth sailing and in the event of serious illness. I am not sating this works for everyone of course it doesn't people live pay check to pay check can't really put money aside but this is why there should be an opt-out choice for those that can.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Hey Greatday, Thanks for the bankruptcy information and advice! God knows that unless our healthcare system is changed, we will need this!
Its nothing new. Healthcare issues have been there for a long time -

But the one that is the most fun is IRS taxes - getting people out from under IRS has been most rewarding.

Now, there is a system that need reform.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:51 PM

BTW, when a person files for bankruptcy, what happens to the debt? Who pays for it?

Old 08-09-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
BTW, when a person files for bankruptcy, what happens to the debt? Who pays for it?
It "disappears".

It is "written off" by the creditor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies