Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 11:02 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
The facts are . . . Medicare spending is gonna be cut.
I've seen this before in another thread. Could you provide some sort of proof? A link, maybe? To a news article - NOT some right wing blog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 11:03 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
Why are Steele's statements being twisted? What he said is accurate.

Fear does often precede anger. And now folks are fearful and angry, b/c they see Obama taking this country in the wrong direction.
That fear is placed into folks, deliberately. It's the key emotion to play, and the narrow-mindedness and ignorance that go along with it have been used to work the reactionaries forever.

Quote:
Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion and just b/c there are some amongst us who feel this way, should they be marginalized for expressing their opinion?

I don't think so.

And what Steele said has nothing to do with spreading fear. People are not being USED. What makes you think folks can't come to conclusions on their own?

I do not watch pundits, I don't read blogs from pundits - I read legislation and watch Senator and House proceedings on CSPAN - and make up my own mind.

Why do DEMs think they are gonna win points with the public by insisting that those who are opposed to legislation supported by their party are incapable of thinking for themselves? Is this assumption made b/c the DEM party assumes all DEMs are sheep, so therefore, all GOP must be, as well?

Ridiculous.
The talking points Rush sets out and Glenn Beck sets out show up here on C-D the next day as gospel truth. You know that is the case. Of course people's emotions are exploited, witness the exploitation of 9/11 in the runup to the invasion of Iraq and subsequent squelching of dissent...what we have now is the exploitation of "the founders" and "patriotism". I know and can tell you think for yourself but many people on here choose not to, and that's who this is aimed at....at whom this is aimed.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:08 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
What cuts are you talking about? Let us start with that. Besides, you seem to believe a government run program is necessary to improve people's quality of life, and yet oppose anything government run. Perhaps it is time for you to figure out a side, and ideology and stick to it. So, you don't sound as stupid as you do.

Now, if you can't help but be fearful and angry about everything, may God help you, and your politicians are loving it. Oh, and you must be one of those very supportive of Medicare Plan B, that trillion dollar bill that Bush and Republicans pushed thru, without any plan to pay for it.
You think I am stupid?

Go to CMS and figure out what has recently been cut in Medicare. And read your legislation - targeted reductions and expenses are part of the bill. Call me a liar! I have read the bill and have discussed these measures with healthcare professionals (hospital and mental health sectors). But go ahead and show your ignorance by calling me a liar and fearmongerer. I guess I am too stupid to give a rat's ass.

Medicare and Medicaid are products straight out of the Democrat party, so if you want to complain about them, talk to your party. Try reading your history. Start with LBJ, okay?

I may be stupid . . . but I do know my facts.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:08 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,526,388 times
Quote:
I don't know how many more times I will have to say this on this forum. I do not watch Fox News. I have never heard one of Rush Limbaugh's radio shows in my entire life.

My friends don't listen to pundits, either.

We make up our own minds - we are not sheep!

Reducing this to insults about folks being stupid and being led around like sheep just creates more anger!!! This is insulting! You are basically saying that the only way people could possibly have decided that they don't like Obama's policies are if someone else "put that idea into their heads."

You can't be serious to think this - it is unbelievably arrogant and totally dismisses that folks can come to conclusions on their own!

How much are you influenced by liberal pundits? Are you saying that you have no original thoughts and are incapable of critical thinking - and you are influenced by liberal media to the point that you just parrot what they say?

If you are not a puppet for the left, then why would you assume anyone who disagrees with your ideas is a puppet for the right???
I'm not referring to you and your friends.

I never mentioned anything about disagreement. Again; when people repeat lies and other nonsense that permeate from talk radio and Fox news, it's a clear indication that they aren't thinking - period - much less for themselves.

Note I said "people." I did not say "you." Clear?

Old 08-07-2009, 11:09 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
The problem is, they think they are. They think we're the mindless drones known as sheeple.

The fact that there is no historical evidence that shows Democrats strategizing with the use of fear and anger, yet the Republicans don't even deny that it's been their modus operandi for decades, is irrelevant. They don't even know who Lee Atwater was. And worse still, they don't care to find out!

If I thought it would help, I would get on my knees and BEG them to read people like former conservative journalist David Brock. Or Frank Schaeffer. But I'm afraid no amount of pleading will help. It will only fall on deaf ears (or in this case, blind eyes).

I know, they're totally incurious and uninterested in anything beyond their own front yard. So to a gang with no creative inclination, just a brute need to get back into power, they're easy pickins.

(dont mean anifani )

Old 08-07-2009, 11:10 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,526,388 times
Quote:
You think I am stupid?

Go to CMS and figure out what has recently been cut in Medicare. And read your legislation - targeted reductions and expenses are part of the bill. Call me a liar! I have read the bill and have discussed these measures with healthcare professionals (hospital and mental health sectors). But go ahead and show your ignorance by calling me a liar and fearmongerer. I guess I am too stupid to give a rat's ass.

Medicare and Medicaid are products straight out of the Democrat party, so if you want to complain about them, talk to your party. Try reading your history. Start with LBJ, okay?

I may be stupid . . . but I do know my facts.
No, you're not stupid, but your misuse of the Party's name indicates bias.

Democratic Party, not Democrat Party.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:11 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,931 times
Quote:

Reducing this to insults about folks being stupid and being led around like sheep just creates more anger!!! This is insulting! You are basically saying that the only way people could possibly have decided that they don't like Obama's policies are if someone else "put that idea into their heads."

You can't be serious to think this - it is unbelievably arrogant and totally dismisses that folks can come to conclusions on their own!
We're not trying to insult you. There is no question that reasonable people can honestly disagree on political issues. And it's entirely likely that you are not one of the people some of us are concerned about. I know a lot of conservative folks who come by their opinions by their honest assessment of issues.

But we're not talking about that. We're talking about the politicians and conservative voices who are knowingly and intentionally "ginning up fear and anger" because they know it works. They aren't really talking about honest differences in opinion, they're inciting people to fear and hate, because they know it will get them votes, period. Many of them don't even believe the cr** they spew, they're just doing it as a ploy. See the article from David Brock that I posted above. See the death bed apology from the man who started this tactic, Lee Atwater.

It's kind of like Stockholm Syndrome on a grand scale. You, personally, may be immune to it. But we can see from the evidence that a substantial number in the general populace are not. Those in power see that very clearly, and they exploit that for their own personal gain. If you don't buy into it, good on you. I mean that sincerely!

Old 08-07-2009, 11:13 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,845,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Cornyn: GOP ready to capitalize on Americans’ ‘fear’ and ‘anger’ in the 2010 elections.

Although RNC Chairman Michael Steele yesterday tried to distance the Republican Party from the angry protests at town hall meetings around the country, Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX) is excited about them. According to The Hill, Cornyn believes that the “fear” and “anger” of Americans will be an advantage for Republicans in the 2010 elections:
“No one would have ever thought six months ago we would be where we are today. I see real opportunities for us,” Cornyn said at a meeting with reporters. “2010 did not look like it was going to be a particularly friendly year for us.”
The GOP seems to be more excited at the prospect of health care and economic reforms failing so that they use them for electoral gains than at these problems actually being solved. Just last month, Sen. James Inhofe (R-OK) said that if the GOP could “stall” or “block” health care reform, it would be a “huge gain” for Republicans in 2010.
Think Progress » Cornyn: GOP ready to capitalize on Americans’ ‘fear’ and ‘anger’ in the 2010 elections.

and of course dont forget Sen deMint's infamous "If we’re able to stop Obama on this it will be his Waterloo. It will break him." - Health reform foes plan Obama's 'Waterloo' - Ben Smith - POLITICO.com

So, right wingers, can it GET any clearer than this? You are being USED. The right wing media mouthpieces are manipulating your emotions for their bosses, who DONT care about your well being and ARENT interested in the United States enough to come up with new ideas, but who only want back into POWER.

Please stop being patsies and start thinking for yourselves.
Yeah republicans should just ignore the American people like the democrats are doing lmao

Remember there is no crisis that should go unused

Old 08-07-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
I've seen this before in another thread. Could you provide some sort of proof? A link, maybe? To a news article - NOT some right wing blog.
You have to go straight to the legislation. (available at thomas.gov)

The last version of the bill (HR 3200) provided for Congressional oversight - up or down vote - on provisions for care and a new board which will determine coverage limitations. Now, this could change during mark up but we don't know that - all that healthcare administrators have to go on at this point is the latest version of the bill.

Anyone who tells you this is not true is misleading you. Plain and simple.

I will see if I can find a link for you that concerns this info - from someone other than a pundit or a politician trying to mislead the public about what is in the bill.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
No, you're not stupid, but your misuse of the Party's name indicates bias.

Democratic Party, not Democrat Party.
Dear God, that was a typo. I should have just put DNC. Good grief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies