Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 12:19 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,201,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I don't know how many more times I will have to say this on this forum. I do not watch Fox News. I have never heard one of Rush Limbaugh's radio shows in my entire life.

My friends don't listen to pundits, either.

We make up our own minds - we are not sheep!

Reducing this to insults about folks being stupid and being led around like sheep just creates more anger!!! This is insulting! You are basically saying that the only way people could possibly have decided that they don't like Obama's policies are if someone else "put that idea into their heads."

You can't be serious to think this - it is unbelievably arrogant and totally dismisses that folks can come to conclusions on their own!

How much are you influenced by liberal pundits? Are you saying that you have no original thoughts and are incapable of critical thinking - and you are influenced by liberal media to the point that you just parrot what they say?

If you are not a puppet for the left, then why would you assume anyone who disagrees with your ideas is a puppet for the right???

So you track this health care bill EVERY DAY, and you've read the entire thing, and you are up to date on all the changes made to it each day, and you follow it through committee, in order to be "well informed"? You don't rely on any outside sources for your information? Is that what you are saying?

You follow every bill, and track only information directly from the source, so that YOU KNOW objectively and from first-hand knowledge only what is going on in the federal and state governments every day, and therefore have not been influenced AT ALL by anything other than these direct sources when you come to a conclusion?

Wow! You must be a very, very busy person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 12:21 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,718,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You think I am stupid?

Go to CMS and figure out what has recently been cut in Medicare. And read your legislation - targeted reductions and expenses are part of the bill. Call me a liar! I have read the bill and have discussed these measures with healthcare professionals (hospital and mental health sectors). But go ahead and show your ignorance by calling me a liar and fearmongerer. I guess I am too stupid to give a rat's ass.

Medicare and Medicaid are products straight out of the Democrat party, so if you want to complain about them, talk to your party. Try reading your history. Start with LBJ, okay?

I may be stupid . . . but I do know my facts.
Instead of being defensive, start bringing out those facts so we can discuss them here. I will wait for it. And don't start calling people foolish etc, if you don't like them bestowed upon you.

Besides, do you believe Medicare should be left alone?

Old 08-07-2009, 12:23 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,127,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
I'm not referring to you and your friends.

I never mentioned anything about disagreement. Again; when people repeat lies and other nonsense that permeate from talk radio and Fox news, it's a clear indication that they aren't thinking - period - much less for themselves.

Note I said "people." I did not say "you." Clear?
Okay. I understand you are not referring to me in particular.

But I still would like for you to consider that this is a mighty broad brush you are painting with.

I would also like to add . . . I feel my party has been hijacked by right wingers who will not listen to anything moderate when it comes to social issues (i.e. a woman's right to choose, gay rights, etc).

However, the thing is . . . I do not think they have been whipped up into a mad frenzy by pundits. I believe they think they are on the side of righteousness.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:25 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,031,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Yeah republicans should just ignore the American people like the democrats are doing lmao
I'll guess that by this you mean health care.

Deloitte | 2009 Survey of Health Care Consumers: Key Findings, Strategic Implications | Health Care Consumerism | Deloitte (http://www.deloitte.com/view/en_US/us/Industries/Health-Care-Providers-Healthcare/Health-Care-Providers-Center-for-Health-Solutions/article/5735e23a4b101210VgnVCM100000ba42f00aRCRD.htm - broken link)

New Survey: Health Care Leaders Say Need For Reform Is Urgent; Broadly Support Public Health Care Option, Provider Payment Reform: Medical News Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Remember there is no crisis that should go unused
Goering fan are you?

Old 08-07-2009, 12:31 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,709,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Cornyn: GOP ready to capitalize on Americans’ ‘fear’ and ‘anger’ in the 2010 elections.

Although RNC Chairman Michael Steele yesterday tried to distance the Republican Party from the angry protests at town hall meetings around the country, Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX) is excited about them. According to The Hill, Cornyn believes that the “fear†and “anger†of Americans will be an advantage for Republicans in the 2010 elections:
“No one would have ever thought six months ago we would be where we are today. I see real opportunities for us,†Cornyn said at a meeting with reporters. “2010 did not look like it was going to be a particularly friendly year for us.â€
The GOP seems to be more excited at the prospect of health care and economic reforms failing so that they use them for electoral gains than at these problems actually being solved. Just last month, Sen. James Inhofe (R-OK) said that if the GOP could “stall†or “block†health care reform, it would be a “huge gain†for Republicans in 2010.
Think Progress » Cornyn: GOP ready to capitalize on Americans’ ‘fear’ and ‘anger’ in the 2010 elections.

and of course dont forget Sen deMint's infamous "If we’re able to stop Obama on this it will be his Waterloo. It will break him." - Health reform foes plan Obama's 'Waterloo' - Ben Smith - POLITICO.com

So, right wingers, can it GET any clearer than this? You are being USED. The right wing media mouthpieces are manipulating your emotions for their bosses, who DONT care about your well being and ARENT interested in the United States enough to come up with new ideas, but who only want back into POWER.

Please stop being patsies and start thinking for yourselves.
Take your own advice....YIKES.....hipocrites everywhere.....

Old 08-07-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
So you track this health care bill EVERY DAY, and you've read the entire thing, and you are up to date on all the changes made to it each day, and you follow it through committee, in order to be "well informed"? You don't rely on any outside sources for your information? Is that what you are saying?

You follow every bill, and track only information directly from the source, so that YOU KNOW objectively and from first-hand knowledge only what is going on in the federal and state governments every day, and therefore have not been influenced AT ALL by anything other than these direct sources when you come to a conclusion?

Wow! You must be a very, very busy person.
Austin, why do you feel the need to mock me?

If you must know, part of my professional duties include keeping up with healthcare legislation and part of my background includes political activism, i.e healthcare (medical and mental healthcare) lobbying. I watch CSPAN b/c I enjoy it.

I am a former newspaper and magazine editor, and I started specializing in healthcare articles about 20 years ago.

Feel better now? I didn't know I needed to provide a CV in order to have my voice heard on a public forum.

And yes, I have read the Kennedy/Dodd bill and the house bill, as well. Both, in their entirety - no small task, indeed.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:35 PM

41,478 posts, read 59,556,521 times
If you want to sell something you first convince the customer that they have a problem and then you convince them you have the solution. Just watch any add on TV to see an example.

The right wing shouts "You will have no choice under Obama's plan" and then
Says "You will have your choice under ours" while conveniently forgetting that you choice will be to pay up or go without. As Jessica stated in “Dune”, Fear is the mind killer…. And the Right wing does not want anyone to think.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:39 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,038,933 times
Quote:
These quotes are supposed to prove to you that these right wing representatives have no interest in what's good for the country, they want only to get back into power, and they're exploiting your baser emotions in order to do it. They're saying so!

How much plainer -- and how much more insulting -- do you need?

Obama's plans are noble and good for the country seems to me. He got sidetracked by the financial crisis at the top of his first year. He wants to get us on a healthy, prosperous track. Show me any Republican plan for a more prosperous country that they would put into place if they were to gain a majority in 2010.
Believe it or not, it doesn't bother me (as much as you might think it would) that Democrats have a majority. I understand completely that election results are cyclical. Democrats won, they can drive the conversation. What's missing from this equation is the checks and balances vote. I don't believe people are rejecting Democratic policy per se. I think American's are appalled by the "let no crisis go to waste" mentality coming out of Washington DC. Most American's want health care reform and generally support other legislation that promotes long-term prosperity. What they don't like is being perceived as a cooperative of push-overs by a majority party that has no reason (or intent) to listen to the minority. Democrats may equate the opposition to "fear mongerers," but it's that very mentality that will drive the vote towards checks and balances come 2010/2012.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:41 PM

Altho this info is by no means complete . . . Kaiser offers one of the best resources for info on healthcare legislation now before Congress.

Kaiser Health Reform Gateway

Medicare specific:

http://www.kff.org/healthreform/upload/7948.pdf

Now, there's the info, but unless you understand healthcare reimbursement, it probably isn't going to mean a lot . . . which is unfortunate, as that means you have to depend on honest brokers out there to interpret it. And I bet there is not one reporter out of 1000 who understands healthcare reimbursement.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:41 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,813,559 times
Quote:
I'll guess that by this you mean health care.

Deloitte | 2009 Survey of Health Care Consumers: Key Findings, Strategic Implications | Health Care Consumerism | Deloitte (http://www.deloitte.com/view/en_US/us/Industries/Health-Care-Providers-Healthcare/Health-Care-Providers-Center-for-Health-Solutions/article/5735e23a4b101210VgnVCM100000ba42f00aRCRD.htm - broken link)

New Survey: Health Care Leaders Say Need For Reform Is Urgent; Broadly Support Public Health Care Option, Provider Payment Reform: Medical News Today

Goering fan are you?
We can do this link for link all day long

Physicians speak out on health care bill
Many say the costly plan won't fix problems

Doctors opposing health care bill jam town hall meeting | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Now what?

When is this republican vs democrat stuff going to stop and you actually put the country before a political party?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies