Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 05:57 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
All this is assuming that the gov won't find bigger and better ways to triple the actual costs. $300.00 toilet seats come to mind. Actually any gov project costs way more than if private sector does it.
Sorry the Gov track record is pretty poor.
Did you read last month's issue of Governing magazine where it had an article about costs going up after the private sector takes over?
I suggest you check it out if you haven't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 06:05 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,317,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i know that we have a surplus of labor in this country, thus the rising unemployment.

i know that we have a recession in this country, thus the negative GDP growth.

i know that our country cannot afford to absorb illegal immigrants into our healthcare system from a financial perspective. WHAT DO YOU KNOW DIFFERENT?
I know that our country has a twelve trillion dollar debt.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:20 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,868,193 times
These townhall meetings are quite reminiscent of McCain campaign rallies, particularly towards the end of the campaign.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
Maybe it's better to just stop having these townhalls. Better that than someone getting hurt. It sounds like they're not accomplishing much anyway.
Then the Dems (especially) would be accused of "not listening to the people".

Old 08-07-2009, 06:30 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
These townhall meetings are quite reminiscent of McCain campaign rallies, particularly towards the end of the campaign.
Good point. There is so much hatred and anger in these peoples hearts that sooner or later they are going to bring their guns to their gatherings and start shooting at people. Many are already unhinged and possess arsenals at home. I look for these people to get increasingly out of control as they are hopped up on rightwing hate speech

Old 08-07-2009, 06:32 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
I'm wondering if someone is going to get killed at one of these soon.
If the Republican brown shirts keep it up maybe. They think they have the right to use mob rule because they failed to win last November and somebody needs to show them the door. And if it gets any worse they are going to find out the hard way that not all us Democrats are sissy pacifist. They are gonna find out that some of us can shoot pretty damn well too! We have about had it with them and their thug tactics at the meetings of our Congress reps. We don't go to their town halls and cause disturbances. Rep Phil Gingrey (R) is having a TH here this weekend. He is not my rep and I am not going there to disrupt his meeting with his voters. And no other Democrats are going there to disrupt it either. And we are right to demand the same from the Republicans. They can cuss, yell. stomp and wave Nazi flags at their own gatherings.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:39 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,749,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Good point. There is so much hatred and anger in these peoples hearts that sooner or later they are going to bring their guns to their gatherings and start shooting at people. Many are already unhinged and possess arsenals at home. I look for these people to get increasingly out of control as they are hopped up on rightwing hate speech
The funny thing is, it is all a show by the representatives with the town halls. They don't care what these people think and the ones at the town halls are not voting on anything. What ever is going to happen will be a done deal through back room dealings. This is not a demacratic process, that has already taken place in the election. 78% want health care reform and they will pass it in one form or another. Thats why they were sent there. All the rest is just theater.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:55 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
The funny thing is, it is all a show by the representatives with the town halls. They don't care what these people think and the ones at the town halls are not voting on anything. What ever is going to happen will be a done deal through back room dealings. This is not a demacratic process, that has already taken place in the election. 78% want health care reform and they will pass it in one form or another. Thats why they were sent there. All the rest is just theater.

It's carefully choreographed theater though. These people are bussed in by their corporate sponsors, and they are there for a variety of reasons, one of which is they are protesting a black man, who is trying to help the poor, and many of these people also being black.

There is a torrent of racism behind these rallies. That and projection. Did you see all the references to Nazi Germany? They use the same tactics as brownshirts and accuse someone who is trying to help the poorest as a "Nazi"

Old 08-07-2009, 07:49 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,749,955 times
Quote:
It's carefully choreographed theater though. These people are bussed in by their corporate sponsors, and they are there for a variety of reasons, one of which is they are protesting a black man, who is trying to help the poor, and many of these people also being black.

There is a torrent of racism behind these rallies. That and projection. Did you see all the references to Nazi Germany? They use the same tactics as brownshirts and accuse someone who is trying to help the poorest as a "Nazi"
Again, they have no vote in anything. Let them do what they want, they are a joke. They will hurt the Republicans in the 2010 elections though.
Did you happen to catch this?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_254399.html

They have become the party of nut jobs.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:35 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
There is so much hatred and anger in these peoples hearts that sooner or later they are going to bring their guns to their gatherings and start shooting at people. Many are already unhinged and possess arsenals at home. I look for these people to get increasingly out of control as they are hopped up on rightwing hate speech
I wouldn't wear an Obama t-shirt in a right-wing area - that's for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies