Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2009, 11:48 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
So, the NDSC is ticked off at her?

I s'pose I'd better do some reading.

I didn't know.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Palin brought up emotional scare tactics: ration care, kill grandma. Her goal is to help defeat health care reform and thereby help gain R seats in 2010. Make no mistake.

She doesnt mention that many health insurance companies discriminate against Down Syndrome patients.* She's using her own little boy for sleazy political purposes. If she cared about the handicapped children of parents not as well off as she is she would show it. But she does NOT.

* The National Down Syndrome Congress:
Health Care Insurance Reform - National Down Syndrome Congress (http://www.ndsccenter.org/resources/position6.php - broken link)

Old 08-07-2009, 11:49 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,277,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
So, the NDSC is ticked off at her?

I s'pose I'd better do some reading.

I didn't know.....
Here's their position on health care reform:

Health Care Insurance Reform - National Down Syndrome Congress (http://www.ndsccenter.org/resources/position6.php - broken link)

Old 08-07-2009, 11:49 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Are you suggesting that insurance companies don't "ration"? You can't seriously be suggesting THAT?

If you're concerned about "rationing," then stand up for single-payer.
I've already (repeately) posted that I believe there are problems that need to be addressed, however I'm more inclined to favor a national system that provides catastrophic coverage, with the insurance companies providing "gap" coverage that families or individuals can choose, at their option.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:50 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I've already (repeately) posted that I believe there are problems that need to be addressed, however I'm more inclined to favor a national system that provides catastrophic coverage, with the insurance companies providing "gap" coverage that families or individuals can choose, at their option.
That's a good idea.

Oops. Sorry, d. Just saw that you posted that link.

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Here's their position on health care reform:

Try to cost out that sentiment.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
I agree with delusianne: An interesting idea. As long as there is oversight of the insurance companies.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:52 PM

643 posts, read 1,393,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
Former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin
has laid pretty low since resigning.

But on her Facebook page, Palin
suggested Friday that President

Obama's health care plan might kill her child.
Via Talking Points Memo:

Palin: Obama's "Death Panel" Could Kill My Down Syndrome Baby

I knew it was just a matter of time before this nutjob would chime in...
Alright thats the antichrist for you.......I know all of you on city data are all over obama and damn near warship him. BUT HOW CAN YOU JUSTIFY HIS HEALTH PLAN?!

Old 08-07-2009, 11:52 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Again, it is a legitimate concern, and fortunately the public finally appears to be gaining some understanding of the potential life and death implications.
Those implications are the same whether we do anything or not. If you want to open dialog on whether we should be spend a limited amount of money on certain people that would be fine. But it's not what health care reform is about.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:53 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
And I disagree with you. What makes you think that cost controls won't involve some type of evaluation on what type of care is provided to patients, based on criteria such as age or abilities. What makes you certain that handicapped folks won't be provided lesser care? This is already happening today under medicaid, a government program. For example, MediCal no longer provides any dental care whatsoever, nor any eye exams. Annual physicals are also being minimized as to what they will screen.

I see a concern about the impacts of rationed healthcare as legitimate, especially for the aged and handicapped.
Q#1 (W/O a question mark, but I assume still a question): What makes you believe the RNC talking point that cost controls will involve this stuff? This is not how any government programs, e.g Medicare, Medicaid, SCHIP, the VA, etc are run now. I don't see there being a fundamental philosophical change.

Q#2: Interestingly, now most handicapped people are on Medicaid b/c they have exhausted the limits of their insurance plan. Please provide some examples that this is happening today under Medicaid. Here in Colrado, Medicaid seems quite generous. We have patients at the pediatric practice where I work who get their disposable diapers paid for by Medicaid. Medi-Cal's problem is that California has run out of money. Please note most private insurances do not provide dental care, either. If you have dental insurance that is usually under a different plan that is offered by your employer. Ditto eye exams for anything other than eye disease, ie, not vision problems.

Regarding the aged, they are virtually all under a government program now, Medicare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies