Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 04:59 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,755,182 times

Advertisements

Having been out in the middle of death valley before, I can tell you there are virtually no landmarks to navigate by, and very, very few people. A simple map, with the know-how to find the North Star, would have saved that boy's life. Death Valley is the hottest place on Earth, and you don't just head out in to the middle of it in August unless you have a very good reason. People die out there every year it seems, I just don't understand how you can underestimate 120+ degree heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 07:20 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,248,735 times
Nature did what she always does, let us know she is in control and the weak will perish.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:50 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,877,337 times
Tragedy, no doubt. In defense of the Mom, (who obviously made more than one horrific decision along the way), she did have a case of water, sandwiches and pop tarts. It's just a shame that she didn't have a map, or any *sense of direction*. I cannot even begin to imagine what it would be like to watch my son die right in front of me and be completely unable to help him.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:56 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,347,425 times
200 miles later, ambulance crew learns to be skeptical of GPS

Old 08-08-2009, 09:10 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,021,530 times
Odd place to be camping, but...

I've never used GPS navigation, personally I find it somewhat insulting. I'm glad it didn't come in my car. It amazes me how they're allowed yet cell phones are not; both should be prohibited. I'm fine with just the positioning aspect of GPS where you can identify where you are on the map; from there it's a matter of personal responsibility to determine where you need to go.

Anyway, if it's a place where I can't get EVDO signal, then I take a paper map and a compass. If I do get EVDO signal then it's BlackBerry Maps for me. Common sense.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:02 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Odd place to be camping, but...

I've never used GPS navigation, personally I find it somewhat insulting. I'm glad it didn't come in my car.
Meh - it has its place. Easier (and safer) to have the nice GPS lady tell you "turn right" or "turn left" than having people try to drive and read maps at the same time, particularly in cities. (On the motorcycle, I can't really have a map out anyway.) Just don't obey the damn thing unconditionally.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:38 PM

792 posts, read 1,302,177 times
You can't blame the GPS unit anymore than you can blame the manufacturer of the vehicle that rode them to their fate. This lady, apparently new to the desert Southwest decides to take her son and go camping....IN DEATH VALLEY...IN AUGUST. Being the well trained medical professional she professed to be (RN), she secures a case of water, pop tarts etc....and off they go. I wonder if anywhere within her training the word "dehydration" was ever mentioned....signs, symptoms, causes, cures...? But wait....it gets better....she has a flat tire....but decides to continue...scary...ya think. She was reportedly off the hard top...no spare tire, limited water...(what if a coolant hose) had blown on her horseless carriage....(24) 12 oz bottles of water don't go far....

I see this more often than not. People far....very far out of their element. The lady simply either ignored, or failed to regard the laws of nature. Somewhere between Las Vegas and Death Valley, CA she had to notice the very, very intense heat, radiating from the exterior of her vehicle.

I guess the thing that really burns my a**, is, this was a person, who professionally was responsible for other people's lives', and apparently displayed NO common sense.

It is idiotic moves like this that has caused our government to dictate common sense. Yep, I can see her finding some starving mouth piece that will attempt to "sue" the world, and then another law will follow...Don't travel in Death Valley when it's hot out.....hello. IMO that lady was lost, long before she left the city limits... a GPS wouldn't have helped !!!!

Old 08-08-2009, 11:52 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,248,735 times
Ya know, it is common sense not to do what she did.
Maybe she should be charged with manslaughter.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:06 AM

792 posts, read 1,302,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
Ya know, it is common sense not to do what she did.
Maybe she should be charged with manslaughter.
That is an interesting theory...the law does state that "ignorance" is not an excusable defense. I highly doubt criminal charges ever being pursued, however I would fully support the responsible party (Mom) being levied for every dime spent rescuing her and retireving the remains of her son.

As a general rule, I do try to have compassion, however there is a little guy dead tonight because the one person in his life whom he (I'm sure...loved and TRUSTED) drove him to his death...Call it common sense, ignorance....whatever the case.....definitely negligent !

Old 08-09-2009, 12:09 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Las Vegas Boy Dies After Getting Stranded in Death Valley - Las Vegas Now |#
nurse and son were going on a camping trip in Death Valley with food, water, and a GPS. GPS got them lost and the son died. Had they had a paper map and compass as a back-up they probably would not have gotten lost. GPS navigation is fine but too many people blindly obey their GPS as if it's always right. With a paper map you have to think for yourself. Paper maps aren't always updated but you can use them as a guide to get to where you're going, take an alternative route to see something, or plan your own way to your destination instead of relying on the GPS Navigator to tell you where to go.
You would have to be really, really stupid to go camping in Death Valley in August. Obviously common sense was not their forte. I don't suppose they had a cell phone either (oh probably they did and it was dead). DOH (for the record, I didn't read the article, so if it covers the cell phone thing, mea culpa.)

20yrsinBranson

Last edited by 20yrsinBranson; 08-09-2009 at 12:11 AM.. Reason: clarification
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies