Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 07:35 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,019,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Meh - it has its place. Easier (and safer) to have the nice GPS lady tell you "turn right" or "turn left" than having people try to drive and read maps at the same time, particularly in cities. (On the motorcycle, I can't really have a map out anyway.) Just don't obey the damn thing unconditionally.
I know it's a lost art on some, but is it really that hard to research your travel before you depart? You know...the way people used to do it for decades? THAT, my friend, is truly the safest way. Unless you consider yourself so inept as to not be able to do that.

In a place like Death Valley, a paper map would be your only logical solution, but in the city, do your friggin research instead of relying on voice navigation. There is too much margin for error. Many times have I seen colleagues and clients use GPS and either end up taking the long way to the destination, showing up late, or not getting there at all. Just do your research: Sit at the computer, pull up Bing Maps or Google Maps, put in the search, note what it says, and get it done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 10:40 AM

46,949 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Default Such forceful opinions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
I know it's a lost art on some, but is it really that hard to research your travel before you depart?
As I said: Meh. No reason to not leverage an improved technology.

Quote:
You know...the way people used to do it for decades? THAT, my friend, is truly the safest way. Unless you consider yourself so inept as to not be able to do that.
Oh, I manage. Old soldier and all that, I can read a map. Doesn't prevent me from seeing the advantages to new technology as it comes available. If I don't expect to come back to wherever it is I'm going, I am not about to go and purchase a map.

Quote:
Many times have I seen colleagues and clients use GPS and either end up taking the long way to the destination, showing up late, or not getting there at all.
And I've seen people run red lights because they were so focused on reading their map or scribbled notes. I've certainly given directions to people who took a wrong turn or missed their exit often enough. Google Maps etc. make nice driving directions, but they don't fail gracefully once you're off their planned route. GPS recalculates if you decide to deviate from the plan.

As long as people don't turn off their cognitive capabilities as they turn on the GPS, no reason not to use it.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:34 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,019,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
As I said: Meh. No reason to not leverage an improved technology.

Oh, I manage. Old soldier and all that, I can read a map. Doesn't prevent me from seeing the advantages to new technology as it comes available. If I don't expect to come back to wherever it is I'm going, I am not about to go and purchase a map.

And I've seen people run red lights because they were so focused on reading their map or scribbled notes. I've certainly given directions to people who took a wrong turn or missed their exit often enough. Google Maps etc. make nice driving directions, but they don't fail gracefully once you're off their planned route. GPS recalculates if you decide to deviate from the plan.

As long as people don't turn off their cognitive capabilities as they turn on the GPS, no reason not to use it.
You don't go off a planned route. Hence the word PLANNED and hence the reason I say that GPS navigation is insulting. It's trying to take responsibility off of the driver which is a no-no. If you're going to take a trip plan it out and stick to the plan. Deviating from the plan is what got this kid killed, GPS or no GPS. Relying on the GPS navigation to get out made things worse by setting a false sense of security.

Bottom line - rely on your own senses, take a quick map, at some places they're actually free. Don't rely on some chick to misdirect you. Do it yourself, learn how to use a compass. Bear Grylls doesn't use a GPS and neither should you. If you're trying to get to Neverland Ranch, go ahead and pull out the GPS, but heading to a desert named primarily by the carnage it has caused, use your own faculties.

We're done.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:00 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
Ya know, it is common sense not to do what she did.
Maybe she should be charged with manslaughter.
I wonder if she'll get charged for the cost of the search and rescue effort?

Teenage hiker is charged $25,000 for rescue - The Boston Globe

Old 08-09-2009, 12:28 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
Having been out in the middle of death valley before, I can tell you there are virtually no landmarks to navigate by, and very, very few people. A simple map, with the know-how to find the North Star, would have saved that boy's life. Death Valley is the hottest place on Earth, and you don't just head out in to the middle of it in August unless you have a very good reason. People die out there every year it seems, I just don't understand how you can underestimate 120+ degree heat.
Close but no cigar.

Where is the Hottest Place on Earth? | Big Site of Amazing Facts ©
So you think it's hot where you are? Not even close.
The Hottest Place on Earth ever recorded was El Azizia in Libya where the temperature reached a scorching 136 degrees Fahrenheit (57.8 Celsius) on Sept. 13, 1922 -- the hottest ever measured.
The second hottest place recorded on earth was in Death Valley, California, USA, where it got up to 134 Fahrenheit (57.8 Celsius) on July 10, 1913.
Dallol, Ethiopia, is the warmest place on earth with an average yearly ambient surface air temperature of 307.55 kelvin (34.4°C = 93.92°F).

Quote:
You don't go off a planned route. Hence the word PLANNED and hence the reason I say that GPS navigation is insulting. It's trying to take responsibility off of the driver which is a no-no. If you're going to take a trip plan it out and stick to the plan. Deviating from the plan is what got this kid killed, GPS or no GPS. Relying on the GPS navigation to get out made things worse by setting a false sense of security.

Bottom line - rely on your own senses, take a quick map, at some places they're actually free. Don't rely on some chick to misdirect you. Do it yourself, learn how to use a compass. Bear Grylls doesn't use a GPS and neither should you. If you're trying to get to Neverland Ranch, go ahead and pull out the GPS, but heading to a desert named primarily by the carnage it has caused, use your own faculties.

We're done.
Why are you blaming technology?
You don't like it, so don't use it.
I find that it saves me hours during my back road trips throughout Europe.
No one is forcing you to use it, but I plan to continue enjoying my trips with it.

I live in Europe, I plan my long trips to include small towns and side trips.
I then program my GPS and away I go.

Feel free to go back to leeches and other forms of medieval medicine since you seem so adverse to modern technology.
It's here to stay and will be used by the masses, whether or not you approve.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:37 PM

46,949 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
You don't go off a planned route. Hence the word PLANNED and hence the reason I say that GPS navigation is insulting.
I guess this is where I say that I'll be quite happy to make that decision on the spot, as conditions change along the way, no matter howsome guy on the Internet feels about it. I take whatever route I see fit as the situation develops and GPS is just another tool, together with maps and compas and common freakin' sense.

Quote:
It's trying to take responsibility off of the driver which is a no-no. If you're going to take a trip plan it out and stick to the plan.
Stubbornly sticking to the plan has gotten people killed, too. You know that, right? Conditions change. Last time I was in Death Valley, a bridge had washed out. Hard to plan for.

Quote:
Do it yourself, learn how to use a compass.
Funny. I've taught scores of people how to use a compass.

Quote:
Bear Grylls doesn't use a GPS and neither should you.
Good on Bear Grylls, I suppose, whoever that is. But with all respect for Mr. (or Mrs.) Grylls, I'll use whatever tool I decide is best for the job at at hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies