Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2009, 10:46 AM

858 posts, read 2,988,240 times

Advertisements

I believe our health care system needs fixing, and I hope the elected officials don't rush something through. I want them to take their time and do it right.

On of the sticking points is how to pay for it; well, it seems simple enough to me:

I put this post down below under "How about 5 Day Mail Delivery?"

"Personally, I have no problem with 5 day mail delivery, and could definetely live without Saturday delivery.

While I understand, it may impact some specific industries, I honestly believe we'de readjust to 5 day mail delivery without any major problems.

The PO estimates a $2 Billion annual savings, and I'm sure we could find better uses for $2B; How about using this savings to pay for something we really need like healthcare, instead of paying for something we could really live without.

Folks are screaming at town halls about healthcare, lets demand that our representatives use this savings to fund healthcare instead of increasing taxes! Is it really too logical to work?

But the most important thing I see is the environmental savings; Just think, how many thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of gallions of fuel per day that will be saved.

Bottom line is it's good for the country overall."

marc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 10:48 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,299,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post

marc
Unless you're a union postal worker.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:53 AM

23,158 posts, read 26,107,156 times
Guess you missed my post to you when you presented this idea in the other thread.
Or did you just dismiss it?

"Maybe because any savings from PO operations needs to go to their own deficit?
"US Post Office To Run $7 Billion Deficit In 2009."

Old 08-08-2009, 10:53 AM

24,869 posts, read 24,334,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
I believe our health care system needs fixing, and I hope the elected officials don't rush something through. I want them to take their time and do it right.

On of the sticking points is how to pay for it; well, it seems simple enough to me:

I put this post down below under "How about 5 Day Mail Delivery?"

"Personally, I have no problem with 5 day mail delivery, and could definetely live without Saturday delivery.

While I understand, it may impact some specific industries, I honestly believe we'de readjust to 5 day mail delivery without any major problems.

The PO estimates a $2 Billion annual savings, and I'm sure we could find better uses for $2B; How about using this savings to pay for something we really need like healthcare, instead of paying for something we could really live without.

Folks are screaming at town halls about healthcare, lets demand that our representatives use this savings to fund healthcare instead of increasing taxes! Is it really too logical to work?

But the most important thing I see is the environmental savings; Just think, how many thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of gallions of fuel per day that will be saved.

marc
The reason why they are going to 5 days a week, is because they are losing money. If they cut back on the number of days for delivery, its only to save the postal system, not to spend the money elsewhere.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:57 AM

Will you be starting anymore identical threads about this?

Old 08-08-2009, 11:01 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,644,082 times
the savings ony measn tehy are less in the hole;not that they created any money to spend on anything else.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:22 AM

8,058 posts, read 3,926,273 times
Default A Simpler (Progressive) way to pay for health care.....

I propose the Democrats in Congress appropriate $15 quadrillion to paint the moon purple.

Once the measure passes, they can scrap it and use the savings to pay for all their pet projects.

(Side note: the USPO as of Aug 5th has already lost $2.4 billion this year - going to 5 day delivery will only leave them $400 million in the hole)

Old 08-08-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
I propose the Democrats in Congress appropriate $15 quadrillion to paint the moon purple.

Once the measure passes, they can scrap it and use the savings to pay for all their pet projects.

(Side note: the USPO as of Aug 5th has already lost $2.4 billion this year - going to 5 day delivery will only leave them $400 million in the hole)
What a great idea!!!!

(You're a politician in real life aren't you?If not, you should consider running for office)

Old 08-08-2009, 11:33 AM

858 posts, read 2,988,240 times
OLD_COLD- only these two threads, so don't be too overly concerned.

I only started these because I read that congress is not too keen on the 5 day a week mail proposal.

I realize that the PO has the deficit, but if our elected officials want to keep the 6 day a week mail, they will need to come up with $2B to fund it, and that's what got me going.

My rationale is instead of spending the $2B to keep it at 6 days, spend it on healthcare, and go to 5 days. Either way it's $2B.

marc

Old 08-08-2009, 11:34 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,022,176 times
Imagine how much extra money we would have to spend on health care if billions of our dollars weren't slurped up as profit by private insurance companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies