Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 05:16 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times

Advertisements

Drugmakers ready $150 million for Obama plan - Politics- msnbc.com

Quote:
U.S. drugmakers stand ready to spend $150 million to help President Barack Obama overhaul health care this fall, according to numerous officials, a staggering sum that could dwarf attempts to derail Obama's top domestic priority.
The White House and allies in Congress are well aware of the effort by Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America, a somewhat surprising political alliance, given the drug industry's recent history of siding with Republicans and the Democrats' disdain for special interests.
Just thought I'd stoke the fires a little bit before I left for the evening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 05:20 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,439,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Drugmakers ready $150 million for Obama plan - Politics- msnbc.com

Just thought I'd stoke the fires a little bit before I left for the evening.

Any large drug maker is going to follow the money and if Obama's health-care plan gets passed it will be the only game in town and they know it.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:29 PM

7,924 posts, read 9,148,359 times
So will this make Merck and other drug companies Obama's Haliburton?

I guess this is why Obama won't force the drug companies to give volume discounts for Medicare or allow importation of cheaper foreign drugs......more money for the drug companies as pay back for helping pass the health plan.

Do you folks on the left think this is palatable? I thought big pharma has been guilty of price gauging? The high prices of meds contribute to medical bankruptcies and directly causes higher healthcare premiums. Is big pharma now the good guys?

So much for "change". It's the same old you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours Washington insider system. Why bother voting anymore? As a citizen, you don't count, only the big bucks that companies can bribe politicians with matters.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:43 PM

4,459 posts, read 4,207,855 times
Default Drug Industry to Run Ads Favoring White House Plan

WASHINGTON — The drug industry has authorized its lobbyists to spend as much as $150 million
on television commercials supporting President Obama’s health care overhaul, beginning over the
August Congressional recess, people briefed on the plans said Saturday.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/09/he...obby.html?_r=1

Old 08-08-2009, 11:07 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
LOL..well we know they made their deal already with the government.

Anyone know if the health insurance companies are next to visit the WH ?

Such a furvor over this. The Dems have control of Congress and the WH so, to me, it's black and white that "a" bill will get produced and voted on.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:22 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,627,331 times
Hmmm, I thought the drug industry was evil big business stuff. I guess if they support big daddy government's takeover though, they suddenly will not be considered evil by liberals.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:39 AM

4,459 posts, read 4,207,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Hmmm, I thought the drug industry was evil big business stuff. I guess if they support big daddy government's takeover though, they suddenly will not be considered evil by liberals.
Only evil if they go against your own best interest. Isn't that how it's normally played out?

Old 08-09-2009, 06:50 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,756,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
There is an old joke that goes like this: 2 bulls are on top of a hill looking down at a herd of heifers. The young bull says to the old bull "hey, let's run down there and screw one of those heifers!". The older and wiser bull says "no, let's walk down there and screw ALL of them".
This is the approach to healthcare. Obama is like the old bull. He knew he could not "run down there" and screw the drug companies, Wal*Mart and the insurance industry all at once. So he chose his battles wisely. He turned what would have been a united enemy into allies against the most evil of the 3- the big insurance companies. We will deal with the other 2 later.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:52 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,756,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
Only evil if they go against your own best interest. Isn't that how it's normally played out?
Sometimes you have to choose the lessor of 2 evils. Big Pharma is evil but much less evil than big insurance.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:55 AM

7,924 posts, read 9,148,359 times
President anti lobby has become part of the Washington insiders, consumers be damned. He whored out to the drug companies for a lousy campaign ad. Remember this when you continue to pay hundreds of dollars for your prescriptions, as President Obama has prevented volume discounts for Medicare and will prevent importation of cheaper drugs. Gee, how is that helping the lower the cost of health care?

Yup, the same plan that BUSH implemented.

Nice change there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies