Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 12:03 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,436,175 times

Advertisements

City, State, % of People Below the Poverty Level

1. Detroit , MI
32.5%

2. Buffalo , NY
29.9%

3. Cincinnati , OH
27.8%

4. Cleveland , OH
27.0%

5. Miami , FL
26.9%

5. St. Louis , MO
26.8%

7. El Paso , TX
26.4%

8. Milwaukee , WI
26.2%

9. Philadelphia , PA
25.1%

10. Newark , NJ
24.2%

U.S. Census Bureau, 2006 American Community Survey, August 2007

>What do the top ten cities (over 250,000) with the highest poverty rate all have in common? <

Detroit, MI (1st on the poverty rate list) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1961;

Buffalo, NY (2nd) hasn't elected one since 1954;

Cincinnati , OH (3rd)...since 1984;

Cleveland , OH (4th)...since 1989;

Miami , FL (5th) has never had a Republican mayor;

St. Louis , MO (6th)....since 1949;

El Paso , TX (7th) has never had a Republican mayor;

Milwaukee , WI (8th)...since 1908;

Philadelphia , PA (9th)...since 1952;

Newark , NJ (10th)...since 1907.

Einstein once said, 'The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.'

................."False quote removed" ..by OP.........................

Last edited by mkfarnam; 08-09-2009 at 01:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 12:12 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,442,341 times
Oh I can see the slamming you are going to take for this post already.

That being said I think many poor have the incorrect assumption that Republicans are only for the rich.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:22 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,436,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
Oh I can see the slamming you are going to take for this post already.

That being said I think many poor have the incorrect assumption that Republicans are only for the rich.
But it's not just the "poor" that do the voting.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:24 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,541,384 times
I'm amazed that New Orleans wasn't in the top ten. You know why the graves in New Orleans are above ground? To make it easier for the dead to go vote on election day.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:29 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
You have to look at the people who make up the population of the city. Republican mayors and city councils don't cause a population to become wealthy, just as Democratic mayors and city councils don't cause a population to become impoverished.

San Francisco is very liberal and strongly Democratic, but it's also one of the wealthiest and best educated cities in the U.S. There are many other examples of wealthy/well-educated areas that are Democratic.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
You have to look at the people who make up the population of the city. Republican mayors and city councils don't cause a population to become wealthy, just as Democratic mayors and city councils don't cause a population to become impoverished.

San Francisco is very liberal and strongly Democratic, but it's also one of the wealthiest and best educated cities in the U.S. There are many other examples of wealthy/well-educated areas that are Democratic.
You might want to check the homeless population/problem in San Francisco.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:40 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
>You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
>You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
>You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
>You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.
> You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
> You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence.
>You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves."

Abraham Lincoln
Abraham Lincoln didnt say that.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:44 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,738,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Abraham Lincoln didnt say that.
You are quite correct.

Quote:
An outspoken political conservative, Rev. Boetcker is perhaps best remembered for his authorship of a pamphlet entitled The Ten Cannots. Originally published in 1916, it is often misattributed to Abraham Lincoln. The error apparently stems from a leaflet printed in 1942 by a conservative political organization called the Committee for Constitutional Government. The leaflet bore the title "Lincoln on Limitations" and contained some genuine Lincoln quotations on one side and the "Ten Cannots" on the other, with the attributions switched. The mistake of crediting Lincoln for having been the source of "The Ten Cannots" has been repeated many times since, most notably by Ronald Reagan in a speech he gave at the 1992 Republican convention in Houston.
William J. H. Boetcker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-09-2009, 12:45 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
You might want to check the homeless population/problem in San Francisco.
Yes, I know it's large, but so what? You're saying that liberals created the homeless population?

Sorry, but I don't buy the mentality that says Democrats are always bad and Republicans are always good. I'm guessing that's how you see things.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Yes, I know it's large, but so what? You're saying that liberals created the homeless population?

Sorry, but I don't buy the mentality that says Democrats are always bad and Republicans are always good. I'm guessing that's how you see things.
Liberal policies towards the homeless help to keep them homeless by making things easier for them to remain homeless. They also have a very lax attitude towards drugs which also contributes to the homeless problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies