Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 12:48 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,436,175 times

Advertisements

I didn't write this, I just posted it from another site.

But I did find the same quote on a different site.......

The Mickey Mouse CluB...

I wonder how much this guitar is worth today?? - Harmony Central Musician Community Forums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 01:01 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,436,175 times
I removed the false quote from the main topic.

Quote:
Tidbits of Wisdom From Abraham Lincoln-Fiction!

Summary of the eRumor:
Alleged quotes from Abraham Lincoln about the poor, the weak, prosperity, workers, class hatred, and character.

The Truth:
These words are often attributed to Abraham Lincoln, but according to the book They Never Said it: A Book of Fake Quotes, Misquotes, & Misleading Attributions, they are not from Lincoln.

The quotes were published in 1942 by William J. H. Boetcker, a Presbyterian minister. He released a pamphlet titled Lincoln On Limitations, which did include a Lincoln quote, but also added 10 statements written by Boetcker himself.

They were:

Quote:
1. You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
2. You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong
3. You cannot help the poor man by destroying the rich.
4. You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
5. You cannot build character and courage by taking away man's initiative and independence.
6. You cannot help small men by tearing down big men.
7. You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.
8. You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than your income.
9. You cannot establish security on borrowed money.
10 You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they will not do for themselves.
People who got the pamphlet thought the 10 statements were written by Lincoln and they have been distributed widely under Lincoln's name
.................................................. .................................................. ....

Last edited by mkfarnam; 08-09-2009 at 01:11 AM..

Old 08-09-2009, 01:30 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,960,105 times
It's a bit misleading. Mayoral races in El Paso are not along party lines. One could argue that that they've never had Democratic mayor either.

Old 08-09-2009, 01:35 AM

4,906 posts, read 6,849,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
City, State, % of People Below the Poverty Level

1. Detroit , MI
32.5%

2. Buffalo , NY
29.9%

3. Cincinnati , OH
27.8%

4. Cleveland , OH
27.0%

5. Miami , FL
26.9%

5. St. Louis , MO
26.8%

7. El Paso , TX
26.4%

8. Milwaukee , WI
26.2%

9. Philadelphia , PA
25.1%

10. Newark , NJ
24.2%

U.S. Census Bureau, 2006 American Community Survey, August 2007

>What do the top ten cities (over 250,000) with the highest poverty rate all have in common? <

Detroit, MI (1st on the poverty rate list) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1961;

Buffalo, NY (2nd) hasn't elected one since 1954;

Cincinnati , OH (3rd)...since 1984;

Cleveland , OH (4th)...since 1989;

Miami , FL (5th) has never had a Republican mayor;

St. Louis , MO (6th)....since 1949;

El Paso , TX (7th) has never had a Republican mayor;

Milwaukee , WI (8th)...since 1908;

Philadelphia , PA (9th)...since 1952;

Newark , NJ (10th)...since 1907.

Einstein once said, 'The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.'

................."False quote removed" ..by OP.........................
What do they have in common? They are mostly manufacturing cities and have probably suffered from the conservative revolution of selling our manufacturing industry over seas.

Old 08-09-2009, 01:41 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
They also have a very lax attitude towards drugs which also contributes to the homeless problem.
I call that "freedom". I believe that adults should have the right to use drugs if they choose to. Most adults can handle experimenting with drugs without having it lead to homelessness.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:03 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,541,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I call that "freedom". I believe that adults should have the right to use drugs if they choose to. Most adults can handle experimenting with drugs without having it lead to homelessness.
That's a sore spot for me since I watched drugs ruin my godfather's life and very nearly ruined his two brothers' lives. One was a fantastic carpet/flooring installer. Many he trained went on to either owning their own business or they moved on to high level positions within the companies they worked for. He went job to job always getting fired for various problems related to his drug use. He's now clean and sober but he's too old and in poor health to do that work anymore. My godfather use to work on oil rigs, as an automechanic, and as a housepainter. He was good at all those jobs but kept getting fired for his drug use. He still uses. He now works odd jobs around town for those willing to take the risk of having him work on their property. We've all stopped communicating with him. Another cousin very nearly lost his house and family because of his drug use. Some people take drugs when they're depressed or down on their luck to make them feel better but it only makes their situation much worse and is the start of a downhill spiral if they don't stop.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:04 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,300,596 times
Quote:

1. Detroit , MI
32.5%

2. Buffalo , NY
29.9%

3. Cincinnati , OH
27.8%

4. Cleveland , OH
27.0%

5. Miami , FL
26.9%

5. St. Louis , MO
26.8%

7. El Paso , TX
26.4%

8. Milwaukee , WI
26.2%

9. Philadelphia , PA
25.1%

10. Newark , NJ
24.2%

>What do the top ten cities (over 250,000) with the highest poverty rate all have in common? <

Detroit, MI (1st on the poverty rate list) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1961;

Einstein once said, 'The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.'

Are these also the cities with the highest percentage of blacks and/or hispanics? That might be interesting to look at. Can you compile those numbers for these same cities?

- Reel

Old 08-09-2009, 06:14 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,919,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I'm amazed that New Orleans wasn't in the top ten. You know why the graves in New Orleans are above ground? To make it easier for the dead to go vote on election day.
"This Mardi Gras will be a little different. This year when drunks yell up at the balcony, 'Show us your boobs!' Ray Nagin and William Jefferson walk out."

Old 08-09-2009, 06:17 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,919,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
What do they have in common? They are mostly manufacturing cities and have probably suffered from the conservative revolution of selling our manufacturing industry over seas.
who signed NAFTA?

Old 08-09-2009, 06:36 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,772,368 times
Quote:

1. Detroit , MI
32.5%

2. Buffalo , NY
29.9%

3. Cincinnati , OH
27.8%

4. Cleveland , OH
27.0%

5. Miami , FL
26.9%

5. St. Louis , MO
26.8%

7. El Paso , TX
26.4%

8. Milwaukee , WI
26.2%

9. Philadelphia , PA
25.1%

10. Newark , NJ
24.2%

That is all bullcrap because Republicans run very few cities in the country. Maybe you missed this:
Bloomberg has bid farewell to the Republican Party - Los Angeles Times
Tha FACT is that most big city mayors are Democrats even in conservative places like Houston and Dallas which has had several Democrat mayors (although I think Leppert is a Republican). Phoenix and many others. Most municipal elections are non partisan anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies