Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 12:10 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Don’t blame the media or the press for the original stories! They provided information that was given to them from our government officials. There were no reporters on the ground at either of these locations where and when the events took place. OUR government provided the lie no one else! This isn’t being non patriotic to hold your government to a higher standard, I believe in our servicemen and women I don’t believe in this administration and the handling of their news announcements. That’s where there problem was and is at this time; a government of lies and false information given to the American public to cover up the problems in this administration.
OK guys lets put this fable to rest once and for all, shall we? This is from a Times article around that time, this is the link:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...455823,00.html

"WAS LYNCH SHOT? On April 3 the Washington Post, quoting unnamed officials, described the harrowing events of Lynch's capture. Portraying her as a female Rambo, the sources explained how Lynch, 19, continued to fire at Iraqi soldiers even after being shot several times...Pentagon initially said very little about Lynch's condition — merely that she was stable...Only after she had been examined by doctors in Germany did the Pentagon detail her injuries, acknowledging that she had not been stabbed or shot.""

OK so we know for a fact the story originated from a Washington Post reporter, quoting the usual "unnamed sources", not even that this source was in the military.
We know for a fact that the pentagon refused to comment after the initial rescue, which you would expect to be SOP.
We know for a fact that when she was airlifted to Germany the Pentagon indicated she had not been shot.
We know for a fact that the media, ahem, has not always been honest and truthful in it's intent to sell papers. Same could be said for the military and government. But in this case the facts stand - I have yet to see one shred of evidence that indicates the government made up the Lynch story.

If you have anyone to blame it should be this nutcase reporter from the Washington Post. Probably won a pulizer prize for his or her made up story about Lynch.

Another link on this media fabrication:
http://www.aim.org/publications/week...003/06/19.html
"On June 17, the Post finally admitted that it had gotten the story wrong...But the Post’s purported correction was more than a little disingenuous. The June 17 "correction" said only that the paper’s sensationalized accounts of Lynch’s rescue was carried in "[i]nitial news reports, including those in the Washington Post," instead of admitting that it was solely responsible for this version of Lynch’s capture. The paper sourced the story to "unnamed U.S. officials with access to intelligence reports," and, in fact, Schmidt and Loeb had acknowledged their report was based on unconfirmed and unverified battlefield intelligence reports. Given the dubious reliability of this information, it is remarkable that the Post’s editors permitted publication of the story in the first place'"

Last edited by Dd714; 04-25-2007 at 12:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 04:37 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,480,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd7I4 View Post
OK guys lets put this fable to rest once and for all, shall we? This is from a Times article around that time, this is the link:

"WAS LYNCH SHOT? On April 3 the Washington Post, quoting unnamed officials, described the harrowing events of Lynch's capture. Portraying her as a female Rambo, the sources explained how Lynch, 19, continued to fire at Iraqi soldiers even after being shot several times...Pentagon initially said very little about Lynch's condition — merely that she was stable...Only after she had been examined by doctors in Germany did the Pentagon detail her injuries, acknowledging that she had not been stabbed or shot.""

OK so we know for a fact the story originated from a Washington Post reporter, quoting the usual "unnamed sources", not even that this source was in the military.
We know for a fact that the pentagon refused to comment after the initial rescue, which you would expect to be SOP.
We know for a fact that when she was airlifted to Germany the Pentagon indicated she had not been shot.
We know for a fact that the media, ahem, has not always been honest and truthful in it's intent to sell papers. Same could be said for the military and government. But in this case the facts stand - I have yet to see one shred of evidence that indicates the government made up the Lynch story.

If you have anyone to blame it should be this nutcase reporter from the Washington Post. Probably won a pulizer prize for his or her made up story about Lynch.

Another link on this media fabrication:
http://www.aim.org/publications/week...003/06/19.html
"On June 17, the Post finally admitted that it had gotten the story wrong...But the Post’s purported correction was more than a little disingenuous. The June 17 "correction" said only that the paper’s sensationalized accounts of Lynch’s rescue was carried in "[i]nitial news reports, including those in the Washington Post," instead of admitting that it was solely responsible for this version of Lynch’s capture. The paper sourced the story to "unnamed U.S. officials with access to intelligence reports," and, in fact, Schmidt and Loeb had acknowledged their report was based on unconfirmed and unverified battlefield intelligence reports. Given the dubious reliability of this information, it is remarkable that the Post’s editors permitted publication of the story in the first place'"
For once, I pretty much agree with you, DD. Sadly, instead of being the investigative watchdogs that we need them to be, too often "journalists" like Steno Sue Schmidt and Judy Judy Judy Miller uncritically swallow whatever line of crap Rove & Co. feed them, and they dutifully put in in their papers and create false narratives. Makes you wonder what their editors are paid to do, as well.

Our mainstream media is nothing but a steaming pile of nonstop disinformation. I can't believe that more people haven't caught on to this by now.

Old 04-25-2007, 06:24 PM

1,247 posts, read 925,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
Our mainstream media is nothing but a steaming pile of nonstop disinformation. I can't believe that more people haven't caught on to this by now.
They've always been this way. Remember the Maine! They gotta sell papers...

Old 04-25-2007, 08:57 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,343,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Has nothing to do with the troops. Has everything to do with a civilian leadership whose very modus operandi is lying. It's what they do. Time after time. Day in, day out...
Money and lies seem to be this countries virtues.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:44 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Quote:

Nice try. The source of every shred of information in the Washington Post and related articles was briefers at CENTCOM under the direction of Jim Wilkinson, the top White House official on site. The Lynch story was pushed by the military, which at 4:00 am on April 2 had summoned reporters in Doha for a high-profile briefing. Speculation amongst them was that Saddam must have been captured. The story they got was a different one. During an introductory briefing and a five-minute video played for reporters, the claim was asserted that Lynch had been both stabbed and shot. Also beaten during interrogation after being captured and hospitalized. The video continues with the daring night raid, carried out under enemy fire, which culminates in Rangers and Seals finally reaching Lynch then spiriting her out and into a waiting evac helicopter. At the conclusion of the video, General Vincent Brooks, the DOD spokesperson in Doha, summarized for reporters as follows... "Some brave souls put their lives on the line to make this happen, loyal to a creed that they know that they'll never leave a fallen comrade."

Great stuff. But all a lie. There were no soldiers of any kind holding Jessica Lynch. None. And an Army advance team knew that the day before from multiple sources. There were only doctors attending Lynch. These had tried to return her to an American checkpoint, but their vehicle (an ambulance) had been fired upon for its trouble, so they turned back. During the subsequent daring night raid, the sounds of gunfire and explosions that are heard on the tape were created by off-camera US personnel. Doctors and patients had to be restrained to keep them from wandering into camera range as they came and went. CENTCOM staff in Doha then stayed up all night to edit the video, and this is what was shown to reporters at that pre-dawn briefing.

CENTCOM. That's where the deception came from. That's where the lies were first told. This was a fable accompanied by a made-for-tv movie produced by the White House and the Pentagon. And some of you still don't realize how hoodwinked you have been...

Old 04-26-2007, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Nice try. The source of every shred of information in the Washington Post and related articles was briefers at CENTCOM under the direction of Jim Wilkinson, the top White House official on site. The Lynch story was pushed by the military, which at 4:00 am on April 2 had summoned reporters in Doha for a high-profile briefing. Speculation amongst them was that Saddam must have been captured. The story they got was a different one. During an introductory briefing and a five-minute video played for reporters, the claim was asserted that Lynch had been both stabbed and shot. Also beaten during interrogation after being captured and hospitalized. The video continues with the daring night raid, carried out under enemy fire, which culminates in Rangers and Seals finally reaching Lynch then spiriting her out and into a waiting evac helicopter. At the conclusion of the video, General Vincent Brooks, the DOD spokesperson in Doha, summarized for reporters as follows... "Some brave souls put their lives on the line to make this happen, loyal to a creed that they know that they'll never leave a fallen comrade."
OK, OK. You are not talking about the correct topic. It's clear now - you are confusing the RESCUE of Jessica Lynch from that Iraqi hospital with the story of her being this Rambo. I mistakenly used rescue once in one of my threads, so I will give you credit for me helping in your confusion.
The topic that the original poster addressed is the initial surrender of Lynch and the fables that she was this Rambo character. My facts are clear and correct-it was purely a media fabrication.

Last edited by Dd714; 04-26-2007 at 08:08 AM..

Old 04-27-2007, 03:27 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
Well, it looks as if the Committee wants to know more about the Tillman case (perhaps Lynch, too) and are asking for documents from the White House regarding their knowledge about the potential cover-up.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070427/ap_on_go_co/tillman_friendly_fire (broken link)

Does anyone see a pattern of inquiry within Congress? I do!

Old 04-27-2007, 03:40 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,359,944 times
The government, higher ranking military officials and to some degree the press all make me sick.

It's all about me, myself and I ... ratings, promotions etc ... shame on them.

Old 04-27-2007, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Well, it looks as if the Committee wants to know more about the Tillman case (perhaps Lynch, too) and are asking for documents from the White House regarding their knowledge about the potential cover-up.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070427/ap_on_go_co/tillman_friendly_fire (broken link)

Does anyone see a pattern of inquiry within Congress? I do!
Well the democrats are using it to embarass the white house. That's fair political play, I guess, as long as you take it for what it is. You have to realize the military lied, yes, and hold them responsible and have them explain themselves as much as you have to realize the democrats are going to milk this story for as much political gain as they can. I don't see Bush getting involved in something as trivial, as tragic as it is, an event as a freindly fire death.
I read somewhere that there were more friendly fire casualties in the first gulf war then casualties caused by the enemy.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:53 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Quote:
OK, OK. You are not talking about the correct topic. It's clear now - you are confusing the RESCUE of Jessica Lynch from that Iraqi hospital with the story of her being this Rambo. I mistakenly used rescue once in one of my threads, so I will give you credit for me helping in your confusion.
Well, you see, since there were so many posts accussing WAPO and others of fabricating this story out of whole cloth, I thought it would be relevant to note that it was the US military that made up the story out of whole cloth and then passed it on as fact to the media who, being in the Administration's hip pocket, simply passed on what they'd been told.

Quote:
The topic that the original poster addressed is the initial surrender of Lynch and the fables that she was this Rambo character. My facts are clear and correct-it was purely a media fabrication.
Surrender? Lynch was unconscious from the moment of the accident. But more to the point, the media were in Doha. They had no access to actual info, only to sources. Military sources. Including military sources with access to battefield reports. Strong enough sources? Maybe not. But being in lap-dog mode, there isn't much reason to believe that the Post reporters were doing anything more than once again passing on what they'd been officially told. Unless you can provide some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies